Jump to content

MYTH Busted: "The Defense couldn't stop the Run"


DrDawkinstein
 Share

Recommended Posts

Patriots had 9 real possessions all game (not counting the last to kill the clock).

 

They punted 6 out of 9 possessions.

 

4 of those punts were 3 and outs. The other 2 possessions were 4 plays and 5 plays. The only long drive they had resulted in a mere Field Goal.

 

What more could the Defense have done?

 

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

TD (3 plays)

FG (9 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (4 plays)

Punt (5 plays)

FG (14 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Defense played fine.

 

It was always a lazy take that the defense was the problem. They allowed 14 total points.

 

While were in the mood of busting myths, Belichick was not a great coach last night.

 

For all of the rushing yards the Patriots had, they only put up 14 points.

 

If Diggs catches that TD pass, no one is talking about Belichick at all today.  Because the Bills would have won. Belichick's gameplan was *****. He ran it almost 50 times, only scored 14 points, and it took the Bills a dropped TD, two dropped first downs, and a fumble where no one touched the RB, for the Pats to win by 4.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You just let a team beat you throwing 3 passes. If people are happy about that then…you can’t just take away the big plays. That big play probably won them the game honestly. I’m not blaming the defense. It was a disgrace all the way around. But I’m not happy about the way the game went on defense either. They ran almost the same play every down. They shouldn’t have been sustaining drives. This isn’t a college defense.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 carries for 222 yards

3 pass attempts

 

In terms of offensive play calls this was one of the most lop-sided games in NFL history. They had 30+ straight running plays. I knew they were going to run the ball, my mom knew they were going to run the ball, all 70k+ people in the stadium knew they were going to run the ball, but apparently the Bills DEF and coaches were surprised by it. The Patriots having any sort of running success in that scenario should be an embarrassment to the defense and coaches. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What more could they have done?

 

Stopped the 64 yard TD run before it became a TD run.

 

BUT YES;  New England didn't do a lot all night long.

 

As I said last night, this game was WIDE OPEN for a Bills win, ALL NIGHT LONG.

 

And we simply couldn't do it!

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You just let a team beat you throwing 3 passes. If people are happy about that then…you can’t just take away the big plays. That big play probably won them the game honestly 

 

How about "The Offense couldnt outscore a team who threw only 3 passes, and scored only 14 points"?

 

Do you think the Defense needs to shut out every team we play in order for fans to consider that they played well? Or at least well enough to win?

 

Also, I'm not taking away the big play. THE big play. One play. The defense had ONE bad play. The offense had one GOOD play (the TD).

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brian Baldinger  with his Baldy's break down.  Showed NE had success on one run play that they used effectively to both the left and right.  Pulling the guard, Using Harry block down on the end and the full back leads to the wide side.  Bills DEs and OLB could not shed the blocks and big runs happened.  That is all on the players.  Tampa Bay and others will take note.  The run defense is not good.  SOOOOO the offense will have to score early and often. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Patriots had 9 real possessions all game (not counting the last to kill the clock).

 

They punted 6 out of 9 possessions.

 

4 of those punts were 3 and outs. The other 2 possessions were 4 plays and 5 plays. The only long drive they had resulted in a mere Field Goal.

 

What more could the Defense have done?

 

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

TD (3 plays)

FG (9 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (4 plays)

Punt (5 plays)

FG (14 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

 

Completely agree, the one 64 yard TD was a killer, but overall they did well. 

 

Offense has to get more than 10, Defense did their job.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

46 carries for 222 yards

3 pass attempts

 

In terms of offensive play calls this was one of the most lop-sided games in NFL history. They had 30+ straight running plays. I knew they were going to run the ball, my mom knew they were going to run the ball, all 70k+ people in the stadium knew they were going to run the ball, but apparently the Bills DEF and coaches were surprised by it. The Patriots having any sort of running success in that scenario should be an embarrassment to the defense and coaches. 

 

How were they surprised by it when they forced 3 and outs on over half the drives?

 

222 rushing yards sounds bad, but not when you consider the Pats total offense was 240 yards. Some offenses put up more yards in a half.

 

We all knew the run was coming, so did the D, and they stopped it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Patriots had 9 real possessions all game (not counting the last to kill the clock).

 

They punted 6 out of 9 possessions.

 

4 of those punts were 3 and outs. The other 2 possessions were 4 plays and 5 plays. The only long drive they had resulted in a mere Field Goal.

 

What more could the Defense have done?

 

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

TD (3 plays)

FG (9 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (4 plays)

Punt (5 plays)

FG (14 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

Generate a TO?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

 

How about "The Offense couldnt outscore a team who threw only 3 passes, and scored only 14 points"?

 

Do you think the Defense needs to shut out every team we play in order for fans to consider that they played well? Or at least well enough to win?

 

Also, I'm not taking away the big play. THE big play. One play. The defense had ONE bad play. The offense had one GOOD play (the TD).

This offense has been just as responsible for the season struggles. I think the overall lack of physicality on both sides of the ball are showing up almost every week. I absolutely hate the way we play offense. It’s just simply not sustainable. Especially in the weather elements. I have been saying it for 2 years. I’d rather be the 2019 offense with our current roster then what we try to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Points were gonna be hard to come by in that weather by both teams, NE lined up and ran the whole game and our D struggled at times stopping it. The red zone offense lost this game but anybody talking about the D doing there job is laughable. Another 2 pt conversion on them as well, have they stopped one this year? And hey, it was no surprise they ran the ball there either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You just let a team beat you throwing 3 passes. If people are happy about that then…you can’t just take away the big plays. That big play probably won them the game honestly. I’m not blaming the defense. It was a disgrace all the way around. But I’m not happy about the way the game went on defense either. They ran almost the same play every down. They shouldn’t have been sustaining drives. This isn’t a college defense.

If the OP is correct (I didn't verify) they had 6 drives of 5 plays or less that resulted in punts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...