MYTH Busted: "The Defense couldn't stop the Run"

DrDawkinstein

12 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

I don't think the BB praise is aimed at his awesome gameplan, it's aimed at his team's preparedness, discipline, and execution. They just won a weather game in primetime on the road with a rookie QB who wasn't asked to do anything other than band the ball off. If Jones had been injured and they had to play a defensive lineman at QB they still would have won the game. If you don't praise coaching for that you are underestimating the influence of coaching.

What preparedness?

Did they cause Diggs to drop a perfectly thrown TD pass where the Patriot defender was burnt like wheat toast?
Did they cause Breida to drop the ball, even though no one touched him?

Perhaps you can say they caused one of Knox's numerous drops?

Did their discipline stop them from committing a costly personal foul that extended a Bills drive?

Did their execution put more than 14 points on the board?

I don't see it.

29 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You mean other than holding them to less than 220 yards rushing? 

Other than holding a team that passed for 19 yards to less than 14 points?

Other than stopping a team that didn't even pretend to be attempting a pass from a 65 yard TD run?

Would you have been happier if they held them to 50 yards rushing and 14 points?

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Patriots had 9 real possessions all game (not counting the last to kill the clock).

They punted 6 out of 9 possessions.

4 of those punts were 3 and outs. The other 2 possessions were 4 plays and 5 plays. The only long drive they had resulted in a mere Field Goal.

What more could the Defense have done?

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

TD (3 plays)

FG (9 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (4 plays)

Punt (5 plays)

FG (14 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

I have been saying it over and over...and will say it again here...Every loss we have this year was due to self inflicted mistakes.  We have an uncanny way of shooting ourselves in the foot with untimely penalties killing drives or extending opponents drives, unforced turnovers, dropped passes, etc.  

Our defense was not why we lost last night, I mean outside the one TD run, they held up pretty good considering.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It's a shame the D got burned for long TD runs in two MNF games this season.  Both runs set the tone for what would turn into losses.  But really, those two runs happened early enough in the Tenn and NE games and the D did a decent job against the RB's before and after those runs.   But you can't just deduct the long TD's from their report card.  It's inexcusable.  

I put the game last night more on the offense than the D.   4 trips to the red zone and 10 points?  Two of those trips late, with the game on the line and zero points?!?  stinks.

both O and D sucked.  The season long run game issues and red zone implosions are inexcusable. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

A 64 yard TD run, when you know they are running is unacceptable.  Did the Bills do that?????

That play was a total defensive breakdown with multiple guys out of position at once. BUT, it was within the first 10 plays on offense for the Patriots, and they had already passed once, so I don't think anyone honestly "knew" they were rushing on that play. Without one awful defensive breakdown the Patriots probably don't score a TD and the whole dynamic of the game changes.

46 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

A 64 yard TD run, when you know they are running is unacceptable.  Did the Bills do that?????

2 times we did.  

2 minutes ago, UB2SF said:

That play was a total defensive breakdown with multiple guys out of position at once. BUT, it was within the first 10 plays on offense for the Patriots, and they had already passed once, so I don't think anyone honestly "knew" they were rushing on that play. Without one awful defensive breakdown the Patriots probably don't score a TD and the whole dynamic of the game changes.

then the pats pass it to the TE’s a bit to setup the run again.   The run D was bad

• Disagree 1

25 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

This is called manipulating stats to show them what you want them to

They did what they wanted to against us, by and large. It was their plan, and they executed it well enough to come out victorious.

So they wanted to punt 6 out of 9 times, and only score 14 points all game. Got it.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Patriots had 9 real possessions all game (not counting the last to kill the clock).

They punted 6 out of 9 possessions.

4 of those punts were 3 and outs. The other 2 possessions were 4 plays and 5 plays. The only long drive they had resulted in a mere Field Goal.

What more could the Defense have done?

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

TD (3 plays)  <~~this one 

FG (9 plays)  <~~this one 

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (4 plays)

Punt (5 plays)

FG (14 plays)  <~~this one 

Punt (3 plays)

I’ve identified the opportunities. this bills shut out this same offensive approach 16-0 in 2016. When you know the team is running every single down, it’s embarrassing to get scored on. 

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What goal line stand????  You mean 1st and goal from the 10 and not going to pass?????😡

ya, i was impressed with how hard the bills worked to stop it, and go the job done, after getting trucked for a long drive.  it was a solid defensive stand.

Most of my gripes come with the offense, but the defense is also complicit.

You can’t not count the Harris TD run just like you can’t not count the Henry TD run. Or any other play that happens in a game. In those two tight important conference matchups, part of the reason we lost was giving up a huge rushing play. Last night it was a huge rushing play in addition to regularly getting pushed back. 

The inability of Buffalo’s defense to stop the run also made it tougher on their offense. Pats* led the Bills by 4 minutes in time of possession. Can’t score without the ball. 

The most inexcusable part is that Buffalo’s defense had to know the run was coming most of the game and still could not adjust to stop a one-dimensional offense. Seems Frazier tweaked his play-calling way too late in the game and regardless our defensive line just got physically outmatched and controlled. 

I would like a game breaking/controlling DT to put alongside Oliver. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

You can’t not count the Harris TD run just like you can’t not count the Henry TD run. Or any other play that happens in a game. In those two tight important conference matchups, part of the reason we lost was giving up a huge rushing play. Last night it was a huge rushing play in addition to regularly getting pushed back. 

I never said to not count that run. I'll fully count it. One.

The defense had ONE bad play.

The inability of Buffalo’s defense to stop the run also made it tougher on their offense. Pats* led the Bills by 4 minutes in time of possession. Can’t score without the ball. 

Bills started at about the 40 yard line all night. They had at least 3 possessions to try to score and tie or take the lead. They failed. That isnt on the Defense.

The most inexcusable part is that Buffalo’s defense had to know the run was coming most of the game and still could not adjust to stop a one-dimensional offense. Seems Frazier tweaked his play-calling way too late in the game and regardless our defensive line just got physically outmatched controlled. 

How did they not stop it when they held them to punts and 2 FGs for most of the night? If any NFL team keeps doing one thing over and over, they'll amass some yardage and success. The Pats are paid professionals too.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

You can't throw away the 65 yard td run. It just should never have happened. It just jerking the numbers around to say they didn't really average 4.8/carry and gain 222 yards. It was the biggest play of the game, I mean would you  just throw out the blocked punt you lost on.

I'm getting the feeling alot of people are trying to misremember how dominant the NE O-line played last night. Do you really think the Pats and BB are disappointed in their line and running attack.

I know one team who should be disappointed in its own.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I never said to not count that run. I'll fully count it. One.

The defense had ONE bad play.

They had many more than one, and that one cannot happen.

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You can't throw away the 65 yard td run. It just should never have happened. It just jerking the numbers around to say they didn't really average 4.8/carry and gain 222 yards. It was the biggest play of the game, I mean would you  just throw out the blocked punt you lost on.

I'm getting the feeling alot of people are trying to misremember how dominant the NE O-line played last night. Do you really think the Pats and BB are disappointed in their line and running attack.

First off, everyone needs to stop about the 222 yards rushing...If a team rushes that many times and throws just 3 times, guess what, the rushing yard total is going to seem high.  

End of the day, we gave up less than 250 yards on the day, forced 6 punts and only allowed 2 drives over 5 plays.  Thats a good defensive effort.  To fault the D here and point at something like "total rush yards" in a game they threw 3 times is just bad analysis.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Why do people keep saying this? No one has said to throw that play away. It's a total strawman. Stop it.

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Name 3.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

The most inexcusable part is that Buffalo’s defense had to know the run was coming most of the game and still could not adjust to stop a one-dimensional offense. Seems Frazier tweaked his play-calling way too late in the game and regardless our defensive line just got physically outmatched and controlled. 

But they did stop the run.  They only had 2 drives over 5 plays long the whole game.  To expect more than that is unreasonable.  We gave up one TD on the day, and outside that one TD we held the run game in check almost the entire game.  

So OP is right, its inaccurate to say we couldn't stop the run when we stopped the run all game outside one big one.   If they passed the ball 50 times and only gained 225 yards passing with one lone long TD play, literally no one would be saying we couldn't stop the pass.  But they run nearly 50 times and gain 222 yards rushing with one fluke TD and now we cant stop the run?  

Makes no sense.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First off, everyone needs to stop about the 222 yards rushing...If a team rushes that many times and throws just 3 times, guess what, the rushing yard total is going to seem high.  

End of the day, we gave up less than 250 yards on the day, forced 6 punts and only allowed 2 drives over 5 plays.  Thats a good defensive effort.  To fault the D here and point at something like "total rush yards" in a game they threw 3 times is just bad analysis.  

Okay so were good with our rushing defense then. Thanks for the brilliant overly aggressive analysis.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

But they did stop the run.  They only had 2 drives over 5 plays long the whole game.  To expect more than that is unreasonable.  We gave up one TD on the day, and outside that one TD we held the run game in check almost the entire game.  

So OP is right, its inaccurate to say we couldn't stop the run when we stopped the run all game outside one big one.   If they passed the ball 50 times and only gained 225 yards passing with one lone long TD play, literally no one would be saying we couldn't stop the pass.  But they run nearly 50 times and gain 222 yards rushing with one fluke TD and now we cant stop the run?  

Makes no sense.

Did the 69 yard run count or what?

The 64-yard TD was a fluke. One play.  ***** happens.

The real killer was the 14-play FG drive, 11 of whose plays occurred into the wind when we absolutely knew they weren't throwing the ball.  Don't act like that wasn't all on the D or like it didn't make a difference in the game.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Makes no sense.

You kidding right

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.