MYTH Busted: "The Defense couldn't stop the Run"

DrDawkinstein

43 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What more could the Defense have done?

You mean other than holding them to less than 220 yards rushing? 

Other than holding a team that passed for 19 yards to less than 14 points?

Other than stopping a team that didn't even pretend to be attempting a pass from a 65 yard TD run?

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Defense played fine.

It was always a lazy take that the defense was the problem. They allowed 14 total points.

While were in the mood of busting myths, Belichick was not a great coach last night.

For all of the rushing yards the Patriots had, they only put up 14 points.

If Diggs catches that TD pass, no one is talking about Belichick at all today.  Because the Bills would have won. Belichick's gameplan was *****. He ran it almost 50 times, only scored 14 points, and it took the Bills a dropped TD, two dropped first downs, and a fumble where no one touched the RB, for the Pats to win by 4.

This....100%       I have been responding exactly this in other threads.  I thought Belicheck played scared and Mac Jones only attempting 3 passes shows how little trust he has in his QB.  Everyone talking like Belicheck's game plan to beat up the Bills are far fetched.  I think the Bills held the run pretty dang good.  I know the big play but that easily could have been washed if Diggs comes up with the bomb.

Another thing to note from last night was how much the announcers kept saying they should run at Dane Jackson and challenge him...and Dane Jackson kept making tackles.  Like they announcers didn't recognize that Dane Jackson was making tackles even as they were yammering about testing the run to his side.  Also Horrible Harry put together a nice game as well at first glance.  

Just now, FireChans said:

The defense still sucked. The offense sucking doesn’t mean the defense didn’t. They both sucked

Holding a team to 14 points is not sucking.  14 is less than what Buffalo allows a game.  Half the amount of points that New England scores a game. The offense scoring 10 points was the issue.  

It's a shame the D got burned for long TD runs in two MNF games this season.  Both runs set the tone for what would turn into losses.  But really, those two runs happened early enough in the Tenn and NE games and the D did a decent job against the RB's before and after those runs.   But you can't just deduct the long TD's from their report card.  It's inexcusable.  

I put the game last night more on the offense than the D.   4 trips to the red zone and 10 points?  Two of those trips late, with the game on the line and zero points?!?  stinks.

I also want to go back and watch the game to see how bad NE was holding.  It seemed like it was happening a lot.  They maybe called NE 2 times all night on it.  Like I distinctly recall 2 plays where our DE/DT was in the backfield and it looked like they were getting held.  Right in front of the play.  something it seems like the referee would see.  I know some of those calls are a wash but I screamed from my couch so it must be true lol.

14 minutes ago, damj said:

8 of the 14 points were a short field after a ST turnover. Otherwise, the D gave up 6 points.

The offense had 3 drives into the red zone in the 4th quarter and had 3 points.

Defense was not the problem

You're mixing the teams up 

The Bills were the team that recovered a ST turnover and scored on a short field

The only Bills turnover was by the offense (Breida's fumble) that NE recovered at their own 31

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Holding a team to 14 points is not sucking.  14 is less than what Buffalo allows a game.  Half the amount of points that New England scores a game. The offense scoring 10 points was the issue.  

They ran the ball above league average and didn’t have to attempt a pass all game. We knew the play and they still pantsed us. Stop.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

You're mixing the teams up 

The Bills were the team that recovered a ST turnover and scored on a short field

The only Bills turnover was by the offense (Breida's fumble) that NE recovered at their own 31

And scored 3 plays later, on what everyone knew was basically a run up the middle!!!

And they had 7 plays over 10 yards and that was all they were doing all night.....  3 Passes!!!!!  All the runs basically up the middle.

Edited by Billsfan1972

57 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Patriots had 9 real possessions all game (not counting the last to kill the clock).

They punted 6 out of 9 possessions.

4 of those punts were 3 and outs. The other 2 possessions were 4 plays and 5 plays. The only long drive they had resulted in a mere Field Goal.

What more could the Defense have done?

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

TD (3 plays)

FG (9 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

Punt (4 plays)

Punt (5 plays)

FG (14 plays)

Punt (3 plays)

The 4 and 5 play drives your D gave up 2 17 yard runs.. the second Harris hobbled out of bounds hurt and unable to continue.. the truth is, when you needed a stop they gave up a 14 play drive for the FG. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Defense played fine.

It was always a lazy take that the defense was the problem. They allowed 14 total points.

While were in the mood of busting myths, Belichick was not a great coach last night.

For all of the rushing yards the Patriots had, they only put up 14 points.

If Diggs catches that TD pass, no one is talking about Belichick at all today.  Because the Bills would have won. Belichick's gameplan was *****. He ran it almost 50 times, only scored 14 points, and it took the Bills a dropped TD, two dropped first downs, and a fumble where no one touched the RB, for the Pats to win by 4.

I don't think the BB praise is aimed at his awesome gameplan, it's aimed at his team's preparedness, discipline, and execution. They just won a weather game in primetime on the road with a rookie QB who wasn't asked to do anything other than band the ball off. If Jones had been injured and they had to play a defensive lineman at QB they still would have won the game. If you don't praise coaching for that you are underestimating the influence of coaching.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They ran the ball above league average and didn’t have to attempt a pass all game. We knew the play and they still pantsed us. Stop.

14 points.  Buffalo had the ball 2 times in the 4th inside the 10 and got 0 points.  A team is not dominated when they had 2 separate chances to take the lead in the last 8 mins of the game. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

14 points.  Buffalo had the ball 2 times in the 4th inside the 10 and got 0 points.  A team is not dominated when they had 2 separate chances to take the lead in the last 8 mins of the game. 

The defense can keep their head high knowing that they got the answers to the test and scored 80%. I won’t.

the way we are built, we are weak against the run, it's just that simple.  last night it showed when we got trucked a few times, and most of all on that long td run.  i give our d a ton of credit for playing balls out all night and doing everything in the power to help us win.  the goal line stand was essentially heroic.

our d has laid two big eggs today, indy and tenn.  those losses are on them.  the rest is all on the O, and to a lesser extent on special teams (pittz)

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point is NE had to prepare for both runs and passes, all Buffalo had to do was stop the run (there were no passes).  They FAILED!!!!!!

Agreed. Just having fun with the idea that Daboll probably considers last night a success because his team found a way to move the ball through the air while the other guys didn't.

1 minute ago, colin said:

the way we are built, we are weak against the run, it's just that simple.  last night it showed when we got trucked a few times, and most of all on that long td run.  i give our d a ton of credit for playing balls out all night and doing everything in the power to help us win.  the goal line stand was essentially heroic.

our d has laid two big eggs today, indy and tenn.  those losses are on them.  the rest is all on the O, and to a lesser extent on special teams (pittz)

What goal line stand????  You mean 1st and goal from the 10 and not going to pass?????😡

I don't understand why this has to be a "who sucked more" the offense or the defense.  Both sides sucked and there is blame everywhere.  However, when the opposing team walks to the line of scrimmage and says "Hey Buffalo, we're going to run the ball this play"  and your defense can't stop it then you got manhandled and it is an embarrassment.  You can blame personnel, you can blame the scheme, you can say whatever, but they couldn't stop them.  This game goes down in the vast history of unbelieveable Bills' losses.  3 pass plays....we got crushed.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.