Did Sean go too far calling out Mckenzie?

Niagara Dude

33 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

McDermott even was out of character when he spoke out against Bellicheat after the game saying quote: Let's not give more credit than we need to give Bill Belichick in this one. Bellichick has always shown McDermott more respect than any other opposing coach Ive ever seen him show.

To me this all adds up to McDermott feeling embarrassed on NATIONAL TV in the worst possible way. Being out physically. Basically Bellicheat took McDermott/Beane defense and made it his B word. 

That’s a bad look.  The difference between the two sidelines during the game was striking.  BB had a plan and calmly stuck to it.  McDermott spent the entire game screaming at the officials and seemingly everyone else.  One time in particular Buffalo had just made a defensive stop and he was yelling at all the players as they came off the field.  He was yelling positive things at them, but he just looked like a raving lunatic.

I don’t know how much a team really reflects the coach’s energy, but there was a distinct difference in demeanor between the two sidelines.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s funny people complain when he sticks to the script… we there you go. A real raw moment of unfiltered feedback on why decisions were made. 

McKenzie is a nice story, but precisely the type of spot on the team where we need an upgrade. 

I have no problem with cutting him and moving on,  no need to air things in public like Sean did.  You can easily lose your team like that

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s funny people complain when he sticks to the script… we there you go. A real raw moment of unfiltered feedback on why decisions were made. 

McKenzie is a nice story, but precisely the type of spot on the team where we need an upgrade. 

He's one of the best returners in the league and a weapon on offense. He needs to be used more. 

• Like (+1) 2

I feel like the players may be at the same point we are, just relate it to your own job, you know when you have a good manager/boss and when they are useless blowhards.  They do not seem inspired at all this year, maybe it’s just feeding into the common theme here, but I don’t think the team wants it/believes they can, the way they did last year.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/bills-isaiah-mckenzie-has-one-word-response-to-sean-mcdermotts-lack-of-trust-in-returners.html

McDermott was asked why he kept both of them (McKittrick and Stevenson) down for this game and he referred to the play in the game where the Patriots muffed a punt and it lead to the Bills touchdown.

“The same reason they turned it over on their punt return team - I didn’t want to do that,” McDermott said. “I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

McDermott is an idiot.  McKenzie was among the league's best returners prior to being benched.  This is a really dumb way to "make a statement," and it's hurting the team.

The comments aren't as bad as others are making them out to be. 

More than a little ironic that the guy McDermott trusts to return kick offs had an unforced lost fumble on offense, and also muffed a kickoff (which thankfully went out the endzone and didn't cost us). 

Side note - it's pretty bogus that Breida's fumble gets credited to Josh. Looked like a routine handoff to me

38 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

McDermott even was out of character when he spoke out against Bellicheat after the game saying quote: Let's not give more credit than we need to give Bill Belichick in this one. Bellichick has always shown McDermott more respect than any other opposing coach Ive ever seen him show.

To me this all adds up to McDermott feeling embarrassed on NATIONAL TV in the worst possible way. Being out physically. Basically Bellicheat took McDermott/Beane defense and made it his B word. 

Yeah there's a bit of a weird narrative that has formed since last night that the defensive failure was caused by the coaches not scheming to stop the run. The defense was set up and plays were called to stop the run, the guys on the field just can't do it though. The D line isn't good enough to stop the run and the linebackers definitely aren't good enough to stop the run. It's hugely demoralizing to get walked on by a team that only attempts three passes in the entire game, but it's not like there's some coaching magic that will fix that. The fix is to have lineman that don't get pushed out of holes and linebackers that don't get demolished by blockers, but the bills don't have that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

That’s a bad look.  The difference between the two sidelines during the game was striking.  BB had a plan and calmly stuck to it.  McDermott spent the entire game screaming at the officials and seemingly everyone else.  One time in particular Buffalo had just made a defensive stop and he was yelling at all the players as they came off the field.  He was yelling positive things at them, but he just looked like a raving lunatic.

I don’t know how much a team really reflects the coach’s energy, but there was a distinct difference in demeanor between the two sidelines.

They showed Belichick doing the same thing a few times. Let's stop trying to write a narrative based on what you see on TV. That shows like 5% of what happens and can be crafted to be whatever story they want to tell.

He had every right to be chewing them out for that BS Delay of Game call on us where the ball was snapped right on 0 which NEVER gets called...literally you watch every week where a QB snaps the ball after the clock hits zero, sometimes by a full second, and it never gets called, then you hear them explain they allow it if the ball is in motion by the time they go from looking at the clock to the center which usually gives a full second or more. 

But then to NOT call it on New England and allow them to take a time out in the same situation? That's trash.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm sure McD appreciated the "out for the season" comment after he was inactive vs NO.  

Did Zach Moss pull that crap when he was made inactive?

Who the hell are you McKenzie?

Go to Pittsburgh if you want to live your life on Social Media.  

Meh, players are going to be dumb and hotheads at times. Coaches are never supposed to be.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

I didn't see that in the box score. That's lame. Breida just muffed the handoff. It didn't even have anything to do with the weather.

Yeah...pretty much set the tone for the way they were going to play all night. Dumb.

1 hour ago, finn said:

The benching I don't mind, but the comment about not trusting them is petty, self-indulgent and destructive. The players won't like that. Will he say anything about Knox or Breida? If not, why not? He also threw Daboll under the bus after the game and refused to credit Belichick. In other words, everyone is to blame except him. 

When comment came up about Bill Bellchick he rushed to down play it that Bill made a difference,  maybe had you instructed Dabol to pass more with the wind you could have scored more points forcing Pats to open things up.  

You want talk about bad coaching,  challenging a call when you cannot even see player behind boddies and it cost you a timeout.  Or taking your sweet time when you have the wind to your back,  or trying to kick a FG into a massive wind down 4.  Coaching staff incuding both assisants were not prepared and flunked the big game test again.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

McKenzie showed in the Washington game you can totally trust him return kicks with heavy wind.  

McD maybe he didn't have to say that - I don't particularly care.

McKenzie should be a bit more self aware.  

He sucks.  Period.  

Then just cut him and move on,  no need to trash him for a game you lost weeks ago and had no chance in either way.  Just cut and stop trying to deflect from the crappy coaching job he had.  You can sign other players if you have no trust left in McKenzie

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

What DIDN’T happen was a ST turnover which surely would’ve contributed to a loss. As others here love to argue, McKittrick has “Only One fumble”, the shrimp has double-dribbled many kick returns he, his teammates and the sidelines have covered up for. Yes, he’s a quick little runner. But there’s a reason so few of his ilk Don’t play in the NFL.

I haven’t yet heard Sean’s comment so I won’t comment here. (OP, it’s on you to provide links to back up audacious accusations in the thread start @Niagara Dude 😡) but #19 should be cut, imo.

Sean was asked why McKenzie was not active and Sean said that he and Stevenson could not be trusted because they fumbled in previous games.  My only complaint was if he was going to call out McKenzie then he should have blasted Knox for his drops or not being physical enough fighting for position and his massive false start penalty late in the game. Those plays were far more damaging because it was a close game that we could have easily won.  The Colts game was a complete blow out and McKenzie has one fumble in 131 touches over 3 seasons with the Bills.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

When comment came up about Bill Bellchick he rushed to down play it that Bill made a difference,  maybe had you instructed Dabol to pass more with the wind you could have scored more points forcing Pats to open things up.  

You want talk about bad coaching,  challenging a call when you cannot even see player behind boddies and it cost you a timeout.  Or taking your sweet time when you have the wind to your back,  or trying to kick a FG into a massive wind down 4.  Coaching staff incuding both assisants were not prepared and flunked the big game test again.

Then just cut him and move on,  no need to trash him for a game you lost weeks ago and had no chance in either way.  Just cut and stop trying to deflect from the crappy coaching job he had.  You can sign other players if you have no trust left in McKenzie

He challenged because he had to. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the moment he has to hope there is another angle. With all of that said, go back and check the placement of the ball compared to BOTH line judges coming in. The ball gets pushed forward a FULL YARD from their spots (which were both a little of from one another). It was a BS updated spot after Vinovich called 1st down without measurement.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did Sean go too far calling out McKenzie after the game and answering on why he was not active?  The fact is Isaiah McKenzie has touched the football 131 times in the last three seasons he has 1 fumble. McKenzie saw McDermott’s comments tweeted and had just a one-word response: “Damn.” Maybe Sean should have also focused in on why his D cordinator took 3 quarters to adjust and start sending his LB up the gap when the PATS guard pulled or how his TE  dropped key passes all night and should have been more physical with DB's and fighting harder for position to catch balls that are there. Knox's blunders last night were far worse than McKenzie's one fumble because we actually had a opportunity to win had he made some of those catches.  

So while I was also pissed at Mckenzie for his massive fumble against Colts I think Sean should not have aired dirty laundry about Mckenzie and not call out others. As far I am concern the Bills might as well cut McKenzie this morning,  because it does not sound like Sean plans on trusting him to return kicks.  Go sign John Brown or some other WR that could help because after those comments Mckenzie is done. 

Calls out McKittrick, yet Breida kept playing....

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, nkreed said:

He challenged because he had to. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the moment he has to hope there is another angle. With all of that said, go back and check the placement of the ball compared to BOTH line judges coming in. The ball gets pushed forward a FULL YARD from their spots (which were both a little of from one another). It was a BS updated spot after Vinovich called 1st down without measurement.

Anyone that's watched the NFL should know that refs only overturn yardage spots if there is concrete evidence to do so. In a replay where you literally can't see Mac Jones or the ball there's a 0% chance that it would be overturned. Completely wasted timeout that loomed large by the end of the game. 

48 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The comments aren't as bad as others are making them out to be. 

More than a little ironic that the guy McDermott trusts to return kick offs had an unforced lost fumble on offense, and also muffed a kickoff (which thankfully went out the endzone and didn't cost us). 

Side note - it's pretty bogus that Breida's fumble gets credited to Josh. Looked like a routine handoff to me

Looked like a routine handoff to Peyton Manning and Eli Manning too

26 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Calls out McKittrick, yet Breida kept playing....

Breida was kept in for KR that were expected to go into the EZ.  He actually wasn't used on offense after that fumble, which took away a whole chunk of run plays we needed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looked like a routine handoff to Peyton Manning and Eli Manning too

Breida was kept in for KR that were expected to go into the EZ.  He actually wasn't used on offense after that fumble, which took away a whole chunk of run plays we needed.

Nah, Breida got another carry pretty quickly after his fumble.  It really surprised me at the time.  And he was in there for a handful of passing downs as well.  

With regard to the McKenzie thing, who knows what's happening behind the scenes at practice that has caused McDermott to lose faith in McKenzie.  Maybe it's performance related or something else.  And I have no problem with McDermott's answer.  He just told the reporter the truth.

And yes, I thought McDermott coached a terrible game last night (the challenge, taking wind in the 3rd, wasting other TOs, not going for 2, kicking the FG on the penultimate Bills possession).  He really felt the weight of the game last night and it showed.

18 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Anyone that's watched the NFL should know that refs only overturn yardage spots if there is concrete evidence to do so. In a replay where you literally can't see Mac Jones or the ball there's a 0% chance that it would be overturned. Completely wasted timeout that loomed large by the end of the game. 

I get it, I really do, but not one of our replays include a whistle nor a higher broadcast angle. Mac Jones progress stops at a very specific spot (you can see him just fine, you can't see the ball which matters) and the line judges have a great placement, when watching the replay. The ball was NOT placed where they marked it. 

You can clearly see why McDermott is angry over this in the broadcast. I'm not Jomboy so I can't read lips, but you can tell by the line judges hand motions that they moved it forward after their spot because Mac Jones was crawling after the whistle. McD is angry over why THEY moved the spot when it wasn't clear cut to do so. They were forced into making it look like an easy 1st down by Vinovich.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.