Playoffs this season

DBilz2500

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Gotta beat the Pats or Bucs, and then make sure they don't have another unexpected loss.

Tall order. Doable.

Given normal weather in the rematch, I like our chances to beat New England a lot.

We're the better team IMO with clearly the better QB.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t… BB just took a ***** on McD…. The difference in coaching was night and day.

Bill absolutely schooled Clappy tonight. Bill always makes sure he's got all 3 time outs at the end of the game. Sean likes to use his on his confused team / or play.  Between Jacksonville and tonight,  these are the worst coached games this year.

The one to keep an eye on is Baltimore. Very unlikely they finish better than 2-3 so they are likely to end up at 10-7 or worse. 2 of their 3 losses are likely to be out of conference (Packers and Rams) which would not be ideal for us in a tie at 10-7. But I would expect 3 or 4 teams to be tied for places 6-8 so it could get really interesting with the tie breakers. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Bill absolutely schooled Clappy tonight. Bill always makes sure he's got all 3 time outs at the end of the game. Sean likes to use his on his confused team / or play.  Between Jacksonville and tonight,  these are the worst coached games this year.

Could be semantics but I think ‘clappy’ schooled himself tonight and bill didn’t do anything special…which is just fine for the pats I don’t mean that as an insult to bill.  We put so much effort into not turning over the ball down to making punt returners inactive that we didn’t open the offense up as much as we clearly could’ve if the last few drives were any indication.  pretty ironic considering we immediately fumbled the ball lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Looking at the schedule, the safe way to make the playoffs is obviously to win out. But I can't see a set of circumstances where that happens.

This team is psychologically beaten. They cannot win the close games or beat contenders. So that probably rules out wins over Tampa and NE.

10-7 is now the ceiling. And with the poor conference record, it probably won't be enough.

If - and that's a big if - we could beat NE, and the Colts could beat NE in Indy, then theoretically we could still win the division - even with a loss to Tampa.

But the way I am feeling at the moment, I wouldn't be too upset if we missed the playoffs and got a higher draft position to help strengthen a few obvious weaknesses. I simply don't see the point in limping into the playoffs and just making up the numbers. Better to re-load and go again next year with wide eyes open.

Obviously the Bills still have a very good chance at the playoffs.  And that's good I guess because anything can happen once we get to the postseason.  But really, so what?  Sneaking into the playoffs as a wild card team is so far under any reasonable expectations for this season that I'm not going to celebrate a random playoff appearance.  One-and-done was great in 2017 but the bar is rightly set much higher now.

4 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Looking at the schedule, the safe way to make the playoffs is obviously to win out. But I can't see a set of circumstances where that happens.

This team is psychologically beaten. They cannot win the close games or beat contenders. So that probably rules out wins over Tampa and NE.

10-7 is now the ceiling. And with the poor conference record, it probably won't be enough.

If - and that's a big if - we could beat NE, and the Colts could beat NE in Indy, then theoretically we could still win the division - even with a loss to Tampa.

But the way I am feeling at the moment, I wouldn't be too upset if we missed the playoffs and got a higher draft position to help strengthen a few obvious weaknesses. I simply don't see the point in limping into the playoffs and just making up the numbers. Better to re-load and go again next year with wide eyes open.

Some would say this is the wrong mindset but I tend to agree 100% for a separate reason, and that's because it would increase the pressure tenfold for this coach and GM (whose seat presumably becomes hot for the first time) to make serious changes in the offseason both to the coaching staff and roster.

Either way even with another playoff appearance and going one and done I think the honeymoon period is over for this regime. And if the Pegulas believe their franchise has a legit SB window open (and why wouldn't they if they signed off on giving Allen a record contract) then a loud and clear message has to be sent to Beane and McDermott in that thank you for turning things around here but time to take the next step or we will find someone else who can.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.