Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

22 hours ago, B-Man said:

10 Realities of Ukraine

by Victor Davis Hanson

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/03/17/10_realities_of_ukraine_147345.html

One -- Reassuring an enemy what one will not do ensures that the enemy will do just that and more. Unpredictability and occasional enigmatic silence bolster deterrence. But President Joe Biden's predictable reassurance to Russian President Vladimir Putin that he will show restraint means Putin likely will not.

Two -- No-fly zones don't work in a big-power, symmetrical standoff. In a cost-benefit analysis, they are not worth the risk of shooting down the planes of a nuclear power. They usually do little to stop planes outside of such zones shooting missiles into them. Sending long-range, high-altitude anti-aircraft batteries to Ukraine to deny Russian air superiority is a far better way

Well worth taking the time to read.

Plenty there I agree with, or wouldn't bother arguing against because it's more right than wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Putin sparks fears of new 'Red Terror' in 'Stalin-esque' speech on 'fifth column' traitors in Russia

Putin called for a 'self-cleansing' of pro-Western 'scum and traitors' earlier this week

He called for a "self-purification" to rid Russia of internal war critics and accused the West of "canceling" Russia on the world stage while claiming Europe has "united" itself with "Hitler’s aggression" against Russia. A banner on the stage read, "For a world without Nazism" in Russian. Before invading Ukraine, he accused Kyiv of being run by "neo-Nazis" and "drug addicts."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/putins-stalin-esque-speech-fifth-column-traitors-russia

Russian war ships aPproaching  Odessa. Where are the anti ship missiles? If Hezbollah could blast an Israeli ship in 2006 I’m sure Ukraine has some weapons waiting in surprise for Putins ships. Perhaps like the defenders of Wake Island in 1941 the Ukrainians are playing it cool waiting for the ships to come in closer to blast them. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10575397/Menacing-armada-seaborne-Russian-troops-poised-attack-Odessa.html

5 hours ago, ALF said:

Putin sparks fears of new 'Red Terror' in 'Stalin-esque' speech on 'fifth column' traitors in Russia

Putin called for a 'self-cleansing' of pro-Western 'scum and traitors' earlier this week

He called for a "self-purification" to rid Russia of internal war critics and accused the West of "canceling" Russia on the world stage while claiming Europe has "united" itself with "Hitler’s aggression" against Russia. A banner on the stage read, "For a world without Nazism" in Russian. Before invading Ukraine, he accused Kyiv of being run by "neo-Nazis" and "drug addicts."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/putins-stalin-esque-speech-fifth-column-traitors-russia

The New North Korea 

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Russian war ships aPproaching  Odessa. Where are the anti ship missiles? If Hezbollah could blast an Israeli ship in 2006 I’m sure Ukraine has some weapons waiting in surprise for Putins ships. Perhaps like the defenders of Wake Island in 1941 the Ukrainians are playing it cool waiting for the ships to come in closer to blast them. 

THE

BEST

WAR

EVER!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The question is why he treats his supporters like they're stupid? Because they are.

May I suggest that you’re literally the last person the on planet that should be calling anyone stupid? Stick with freak, POS and even idiot. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

34 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The question is why he treats his supporters like they're stupid? Because they are.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/nord-stream-2-biden-gift-to-putin-could-destabilize-europe-2021-10%3famp

Actually Cruz is right and you are wrong again. For a guy who "pays attention" your memory is terrible.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/nord-stream-2-biden-gift-to-putin-could-destabilize-europe-2021-10%3famp

Actually Cruz is right and you are wrong again. For a guy who "pays attention" your memory is terrible.

lmao... Explain how Trump's sanctions stopped the pipeline? Did it? 

Explain how the United States has any controls over an arrangement that they are not a party to between two different countries on a different continent?

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

Well, yeah Dr. Caroline.  Anyone that looks into Jack Posobiec for 10 minutes will find out he's a dime-a-dozen alt-right stooge whose opinion on basically anything is safely ignored.  There are far more rational commentators on the conservative side of the political spectrum.  Posobiec is a hack among hacks who is only able to exist because Social Media is a cancer.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers

5 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Well, yeah Dr. Caroline.  Anyone that looks into Jack Posobiec for 10 minutes will find out he's a dime-a-dozen alt-right stooge whose opinion on basically anything is safely ignored.  There are far more rational commentators on the conservative side of the political spectrum.  Posobiec is a hack among hacks who is only able to exist because Social Media is a cancer.

Posobiec has a dark underbelly.

Putin's war against Ukraine may have spiritual, religious foundations: 'Good vs. evil'

Smith heads EEM (Eastern European Ministry), an organization that has supplied millions of Bibles to Ukraine's public schools. 

Yes, Ukraine's public schools — because the Ukrainian government has recognized the value of teaching the Good Book to young, impressionable minds.

"Ukraine, to some extent, is kind of the Bible Belt of Eastern Europe. They have been pushing Christian values, they have been standing up for God for a long time, and they've been a beacon of light for quite some time now."

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/putin-war-ukraine-spiritual-religious-foundations

There is currently no rail traffic from Belarus into Ukraine, and Russian forces are not using the railways between the two countries to bolster its invasion force in Ukraine, according to the head of the Ukrainian state railway.

“I recently appealed to Belarusian railway workers not to carry out criminal orders and not transport Russian military forces in the direction of Ukraine,” Oleksandr Kamyshin, director of the Ukrzaliznytsya state railroad, told Current Time.

Oleksandr Kamyshin

“At the present moment, I can say that there is no railway connection between Ukraine and Belarus. I cannot discuss details, but I am grateful to Belarus’s railway workers for what they are doing,” he said.

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-russia-belarus-railways-supplies-cut-off/31761964.html

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

DL passed. The Ukrainians refused, saying surrender wasn't an option.  The Russians said they will cleanse the city.

What Putin does to Mariupol while we watch won't be easy to overlook. 

Not calling for WWIII but I do wonder where the line is here. Can Putin nuke a city and we just watch? 

8 minutes ago, John Adams said:

What Putin does to Mariupol while we watch won't be easy to overlook. 

Not calling for WWIII but I do wonder where the line is here. Can Putin nuke a city and we just watch? 

I expect you're using "nuke" figuratively.

If he ever used a nuclear weapon against a city there would be no turning back.

It is simply unthinkable, and I am starting to doubt his military would obey a clearly illegal order.

Turkey said yesterday that their might be an agreement soon.  That seems to have gone the way of the Do Do.

Video out today of Russia troops breaking up anti-occupation protests in Kherson with live ammo.

9 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Here's the original tweet:

Yeah.  Russia's going to turn this from a left vs right, East vs west thing, into a good vs evil thing.  Simply by being brutal and stupid.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

I expect you're using "nuke" figuratively.

If he ever used a nuclear weapon against a city there would be no turning back.

It is simply unthinkable, and I am starting to doubt his military would obey a clearly illegal order.

He's effectively nuking a city. 

And if did launch a nuke, then what? Seriously. 

Is a retaliatory nuke ever worth it? 

3 minutes ago, John Adams said:

He's effectively nuking a city. 

And if did launch a nuke, then what? Seriously. 

Is a retaliatory nuke ever worth it? 

He isn't effectively using a nuclear weapon.

Nuclear weapons have long lasting radiation effects, and he doesn't need to.

If he did, that would be the end of this Russian regime.

Yes, a retaliatory nuclear strike is worth it,  if they launched a nuc against a US target.

This aint that.

• Thank you (+1) 1