Bills fans rooting "not to lose"

BADOLBILZ

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just a reminder that winning is supposed to be fun........not just a relief.

We all know the 2020 Bills were the first AFC East team to sweep NE in two decades.

But also since 2001 NFL team has beaten Belichick 3 straight times in regular season play.

This is how you earn respect.......stacking up wins against the most respected HC in the game.

I'm not equating era's but Don Shula used to own the Bills too until the Bills beat him 6 straight times in the late 80's.

That tore the unlikeable, underhanded Don Shula up........and you know it will pain Belichick to his core if he loses these upcoming games to the Bills.   It will eat him up.

We probably won't ever get the chance to see the Bills send Belichick out quite like they did Shula.........he's not tied to the Patriots like Shula was the Fins.......he'll jump ship to his beloved NY Giants and Mara family before he has to field a team that's half as gutless as those Dolphins were.

So don't be a Dick(Jauron)......don't fan "not to lose".   

I blame Ralph and his drought for instilling that mentality but it's time to move on and expect success but also relish the W's.   

They can be swept again, but it's going to be even harder without White. Josh Allen and the offense all need to play w/ their hair on fire, don't overthink things and just let it fly. The offense needs to be able to save the defense instead of vice versa like all season. This is a good Patriots team that's just good all around without any true superstars like the Bills. Buffalo's offense is miles ahead of the Pats. Keep Allen upright and everything will fall into place. 

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

What does it mean to root not to lose? I don't quite understand.

Are you saying that Bills fans don't appreciate wins very much and are just scared to lose games?

It's worrying more about what you have to lose than what you have to gain.

Perhaps some haven't thought about it this way.........but believe it or not I once had to explain what coaching "not to lose" was on TSW when the Bills first hired Dick Jauron.   

We should be excited about what a win Monday night means.........another win closer to a divisional title and still quite possibly the #1 seed and a kick in the nuts to a hated division rival.

Hasn't helped that the national media has created this idea that the Bills are now "behind" New England in the division.

The reality is that the Bills control their own destiny in the AFC East..........the Patriots do not........they need to sweep the Bills OR get help.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I feel like, at least personally, being overly critical in victory isn't a matter of Dick Jauron-esque fan behavior or part of a pessimistic drought hangover. To me, it has everything to do with higher expectations.

Wherein last season, I was completely thrilled with their performance and relished in their victories - this season is about not only staying on that level, but improving. So I'm constantly looking at things from a "is this good enough for an AFC Title or Super Bowl win?" perspective . So it makes me, even in victories, often hard on them. Taking steps backwards is unacceptable.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

27 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

They can be swept again, but it's going to be even harder without White. Josh Allen and the offense all need to play w/ their hair on fire, don't overthink things and just let it fly. The offense needs to be able to save the defense instead of vice versa like all season. This is a good Patriots team that's just good all around without any true superstars like the Bills. Buffalo's offense is miles ahead of the Pats. Keep Allen upright and everything will fall into place. 

That's all kind of "on paper" talk, IMO.   Comparing the effort or personnel that it took to sweep them last year versus what it would take this year doesn't hold a lot of relevance to me at this point of the season.    

40 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I feel like, at least personally, being overly critical in victory isn't a matter of Dick Jauron-esque fan behavior or part of a pessimistic drought hangover. To me, it has everything to do with higher expectations.

Wherein last season, I was completely thrilled with their performance and relished in their victories - this season is about not only staying on that level, but improving. So I'm constantly looking at things from a "is this good enough for an AFC Title or Super Bowl win?" perspective . So it makes me, even in victories, often hard on them. Taking steps backwards is unacceptable.

I have no problem with fans being critical of the team's play in-game or post victory.    

But trying to judge every game based on whether the team played well enough to win a SB that day is not realistic.

Look at the two teams that reached the SB last year...........Tampa was 7-5 at one time.......lost their division to the Saints who blew them out twice..........and the Chiefs slept walked thru the season playing down to their opponents for most of the last two months of the season.

I'm not making excuses for the team.......the bad losses might come back to haunt them........but that's also not a given. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

For the most part, fans don't enjoy watching their football teams play. It's more a combination of a greek tragedy and torture. Our gameday thread for the Colts game looked exactly like this:

haha— love Pittsburgh Dad. The “bargaining” is me big time— I am making deals with God all game. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Perhaps some haven't thought about it this way.........but believe it or not I once had to explain what coaching "not to lose" was on TSW when the Bills first hired Dick Jauron.   

We should be excited about what a win Monday night means.........another win closer to a divisional title and still quite possibly the #1 seed and a kick in the nuts to a hated division rival.

Hasn't helped that the national media has created this idea that the Bills are now "behind" New England in the division.

The reality is that the Bills control their own destiny in the AFC East..........the Patriots do not........they need to sweep the Bills OR get help.

I love it.  This team fell on its face right out of the gate as front runners.  Last year they thrived on being the underdogs. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just a reminder that winning is supposed to be fun........not just a relief.

We all know the 2020 Bills were the first AFC East team to sweep NE in two decades.

But also since 2001 NFL team has beaten Belichick 3 straight times in regular season play.

This is how you earn respect.......stacking up wins against the most respected HC in the game.

I'm not equating era's but Don Shula used to own the Bills too until the Bills beat him 6 straight times in the late 80's.

That tore the unlikeable, underhanded Don Shula up........and you know it will pain Belichick to his core if he loses these upcoming games to the Bills.   It will eat him up.

We probably won't ever get the chance to see the Bills send Belichick out quite like they did Shula.........he's not tied to the Patriots like Shula was the Fins.......he'll jump ship to his beloved NY Giants and Mara family before he has to field a team that's half as gutless as those Dolphins were.

So don't be a Dick(Jauron)......don't fan "not to lose".   

I blame Ralph and his drought for instilling that mentality but it's time to move on and expect success but also relish the W's.   

Well said man… I think the drought did a lot to negatively impact the mindset of the Bills fan base - myself included.    Whenever things get tough, there’s an immediate thought that everything will turn to crap.  You see this a lot online.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Taking steps backwards is unacceptable.

That's kind of like telling the sky it's unacceptable to rain. There is zip, zero, nada any fan can do about it. 

I think the level of vile and hatred spewed in the game day threads is directly proportional to the posters inability to accept what they have no control over. 

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have no problem with fans being critical of the team's play in-game or post victory.    

But trying to judge every game based on whether the team played well enough to win a SB that day is not realistic.

Look at the two teams that reached the SB last year...........Tampa was 7-5 at one time.......lost their division to the Saints who blew them out twice..........and the Chiefs slept walked thru the season playing down to their opponents for most of the last two months of the season.

I'm not making excuses for the team.......the bad losses might come back to haunt them........but that's also not a given. 

This statement may be the single biggest reason why I stay away from this board after losses; the unrealistic measuring stick applied on a weekly basis when we all know the NFL season is a marathon.  This week it’s that we lost Tre and Josh threw a red zone INT, but it’s always something.  And yet here we are, at 7-4, undefeated in the division, and controlling our own destiny.  We should be salivating at the opportunity to crush the Pats***, not worrying about how we’ll feel if we lose.  I really do appreciate you starting this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is a good reminder and I have definitely been guilty of it at times this year.  I think it is because for the first time in my fandom that I went into the season with Superbowl expectations and so I have been guilty of seeing each week through that prism. And each week is its own week in the NFL. On Monday they just have to be good enough to beat New England. That is all it will take. 

4 minutes ago, eball said:

This week it’s that we lost Tre and Josh threw a red zone INT, but it’s always something. 

I do still hate the loss of Tre though. Every time I think about it I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I really do think it hurts this team a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do still hate the loss of Tre though. Every time I think about it I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I really do think it hurts this team a lot. 

It does, but I then remind myself of #17 as well as the other veterans on that defense who will raise their games.  Teams have overcome more to win championships.

1 minute ago, eball said:

It does, but I then remind myself of #17 as well as the other veterans on that defense who will raise their games.  Teams have overcome more to win championships.

One of the strengths of our defense though is the ability to disguise coverages because of what we do with our safeties. We can only be so creative with our safeties because they can trust Tre to lock down his side of the field. I worry without him it takes away some of the disguise they can use with Poyer and Hyde because they now need to offer some protection to both corners at times. We saw last year that when we become more vanilla on the back end it hurts our D. 

Maybe I am over-thinking it but every time I think about his injury I instantly feel gloomy about our prospects of winning a Championship this year. He is so vital to the way we scheme. Our secondary dictates to offenses where they can throw the ball so well and without Tre that becomes harder because we have to simplify coverages. 

isn't not losing the same as winning?

16 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I approach the Bills games in the same way as I approach sex with my wife, it's sometimes painful but worth it for those times when it puts a smile on my face

(it also helps to have a few beers before kickoff)

painful for her?

16 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think it's not so much bills fans fear losing as much as they are realistic in terms of this teams current status and going against a proven commodity like Belichik who had one down season in transition post Brady.

And even some of the media that were all over the Bills up until the last few weeks are realizing what's brewing right now in NE and jumping firmly on that bandwagon for good reason.

Still trolling merrily along I see.  

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Jones has had a tremendous rookie year..........but he is maybe the most immobile QB in the NFL right now...........and his arm isn't impressive.    There is a lot of Chad Pennington to his game but he has maybe the best OL in the league, an effective running game and a combination of good inside receiving targets and excellent coaching that is getting receivers open quickly for the throws he can make.     It's up to teams to find a way to take away the throws he excels at.......force him to make the tougher ones to move the football...........and get more pressure on him.     Fortunately taking away short and intermediate throws and then getting more pressure with that extra bit of time are things that can go hand-in-hand.    They just run contrary to what most of the league is doing on defense. 

I'm pretty sure that I think more highly of Mac than you do. Is it because I'm an Alabama homer? Probably. 🙂

Mac does not and will never have the tools of Josh Allen. Really, how many do?  Still, in terms of arm strength, he doesn't have to step into his fastballs or deep passes the way Fitz does. He doesn't look it because he isn't a muscular specimen, but he is big and is no Trent Edwards. I'm not sure that that Brady has a better arm that Mac? Does he? 

There is a video on youtube of Mac throwing a perfect TD pass late in the game vs. Dallas. I can't link it, I suppose because it is an NFL film. His arm looks pretty good and his placement was even better.

I expect Mac to have a long, successful NFL career, but he is NOT going to beat us this season!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Once? More like 10 times!!! 🤣 Many just didn't get it and you said it BEFORE the 2006 draft, in which Jauron and Levy set back the team a solid 5 years (which I posted after that disaster draft).

But ya know, time flies and memories fade. I suspect that many of our posters are too young to remember the horrors we faced, and I am glad that they were spared the pain. We did however meet lots of good people. 👍 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.