A Few Thoughts about the Colts game, in no particular order

Virgil

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

10 - McD - Anyone who tells me the Bucs last year were 7-5 I am ripping on at this point. I love Josh but he is not Brady at this time. If you told me Tampa started 0-4 I would say Brady could still win the SB because it is what he does. The season in general I lay at the hands of McD. This is the first season since he became coach I have questioned the teams effort and smart. The 2018 Bills would beat the team at this moment just simply because they played smarter and harder despite a real lack of talent. I have no doubt this team could turn it around and has the potential for big things. But at this current juncture I do doubt it happening. Not since the Peterman start has McD faced such a time where legitimate questions on his operation are at the forefront. I really believe 90% of the Bills issues would go away if he can just get this team to playing smart football and wanting to punch the other team first (figuratively). Since the bye they look like a team that has read the headlines and are entitled. That is on the coach no one else.  Like you said I want to see more creativity and urgency scheme wise and play wise. Stepping back as a neutral fan it is a fascinating situation as this is the biggest adversity McD has had, being an ascending team is easy and fun, being the cream of the crop with the goal of SB is a true challenge in focus and coaching. 

Despite whatever personnel flaws the team has--and it has real weak spots that everybody here has gone on about at length--what you say here is the heart of it. McDermott is being tested at this time in a way he has not been so far as coach of the Bills. The question is, can he get these players to play smart, intense football; can he get them all pulling in the same direction at the same time, can he get all three phases of the game to play their best. This is the moment where he rises to the occasion or he fails. There are enough good players that they can win any game they are in. But they have not consistently played to their maximum potential except for brief periods this season, and it's up to McDermott to get them at least close to that place. 

• Like (+1) 1

Agree with most of what you said. Someone stated this was your best writeup, I would agree with that statement.

Mckenzie's fumble killed us. Not sure why we couldn't find 3 million more to keep Roberts. Hopefully the rookie (Stevenson) will take over his duties.

This game is a game of matchups and we were missing 2 critical pieces. We managed to keep Taylor somewhat in check last year. Sunday was an epic failure on all fronts.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Mariano Rivera is arguably the best MLB closer of all time. Beyond the numbers and championships, the thing that made him so great was that every hitter knew what pitch was coming. When you were down 0-2, the high cutter was coming your way. Posada would literally stand up behind the plate. As a viewer, it almost didn’t make sense why these professional athletes couldn’t hit a pitch that they knew the location and type, yet it just kept happening. If there ever was an example that represented the Bills game, it’s knowing exactly what and who was going to hurt you against the Colts, but being able to do absolutely nothing to stop it.

1 - Wentz - I could talk about how great JT a was, but I think that Wentz barely completing 50% or his passes for just over 100 yards should tell you the story of how a 40 point loss went. Wentz had a few good passes and managers to Houdini out of a sack, but how often do you see games today where the quarterback isn’t relevant.

2 - Penalties - I’m done pointing the finger at the refs or any other conspiracy theorist, we are consistently one of the worst teams for penalties and it’s losing us games. Penalties comes down to coaching for me and McD owns it. If I were him, I would have benched Addison after his roughing penalty. That was absolutely inexcusable and extended another Colts drive. Addison is also the DE who couldn’t tackle Wentz on the escape play. On our first drive, penalties knocked us back from a first down at the 25 to a 3rd and long from the 40, which led to an INT. Penalties bailed the Colts out on 3rd down multiple times. Poyer jumped in with a personal foul hit out of bounds, that added 15 and put the Colts in scoring range. Some want to question the teams toughness, others intensity. No matter what it is, coaches own all things mental and we’ve been far from good since the Titans loss.

3 - Ford - I was surprised to see Ford and Williams be left to block one on one for a lot of the game. And, surprisingly to everyone, Ford did a great job. He handled Buckner a few times and Josh was relatively good to pass on most plays.

4 -So I'm riding away, away
Hiding away, away
So much talk it makes no sense at all
So I'm flying away, away
Driving away, away
Passing old friends I don't miss at all

5 - Moss - After watching the past few games, I would be good demoting Moss to our 3rd back. Breida showed some good flashes again and Motor even had some solid plays. It’s tough to talk about the running game when you only rush ten times roughly, but everyone seemed to get the memo about upping their game besides Moss.

6 - Special Teams - If you only had to watch one play in this game to know how it went, just watch the McKenzie kickoff return before the half. McKenzie found a way to trip in the open field and then fumble the ball away, with no defenders within 5 yards of him. On a drive that could have setup the halftime double punch and make this an entirely different game, all the McKenzie haters watched in slow motion as their wildest dreams came true. Also, if you needed more of a reason to understand how off this game was, Bass missed two FGs, one that got caught by the wind and off into the stands.

7 - Chiefs - This is a first for me, but I write them so I’ll do what I want. If you watched the Chiefs game, in what was meant to be a passing slug fest, the Chiefs did two things well. They ran the ball to control the clock, going against who they are as a team. And when on defense, they led their highly paid pass rusher stay on the field and get pressure against Dak. While teams have strengths and weaknesses, they are still comprised of NFL players. Our inability to ever show a power run game and our 40+ million defensive rotation line with our first two draft picks, are not showing up at all and it’s killing us. Yes, the Colts were running the ball at will and we weren’t in a pass rush situation often, but that much money on a line who can’t do the one trick of their one trick pony show is a concern. Some teams are built for certain things, and we clearly are not built to win in the trenches. And in a weather game where that matters and we apparently don’t need a dome, we looked like a high school team.

8 - Daboll - I honestly thought Daboll had a decent strategy for this game and continued his varied looks.  Execution and penalties were the real killer here, then add on the 3 score deficit.  The Bills offense was going right down field until the penalties knocked them back.  If they kept going, (yes, I know SDS), then it's reasonable to believe the game is tied at half.  Now, going 3 and out to start the second half was bad and I wonder what happened to the scripted plays to start the second half, but I can forgive Daboll for having to play from behind and not being helped by the defense or player mental discipline.

9 - Dome - Whether you want to say we are a physical team or not, there's no denying that we've had multiple games over the past few years that have affected our offense.  I understand that both teams need to play in it, but other teams are adjusting better.  I also understand wanting a home field advantage in colder weather against warm weather teams.  With that being said, I truly believe we need a dome stadium with a retractable roof.  If the stadium stays in OP, the money saved will more than cover that feature.  Would it have mattered in a game like this?  Possibly not.  But would Allen have been able to have a little more accuracy and would the drops have been as rampant?  I think the team needs to have the option going forward.  We aren't playing the Dolphins in the playoffs anymore.  Yes, it was fun, and if you miss it we can open the roof.  More so, home field advantage doesn't seem to mean much to this team.  The fans are as loud as ever, travel well, and I can't think of a game where the team used it to their advantage. 

10 - McD - Someone posted on Twitter that the Bucs were 7-5 at this time last year and went on to win the Super Bowl.  There are few teams built to dismantle our front line and we've played two of them in the Colts and Titans.  The Bucs are coming up and can probably do the same.  Does that mean our roster is garbage?  No.  Each team is built different and it's a passing league.  However, coaches can typically scheme to adjust for weaknesses and I have a big issue that we seem to be crippled by the loss of Star, Edmunds, Mongo, and Spencer.  I understand that they are starters, but 2 of them didn't even play last year and we got it done.  McD needs to get this team more disciplined and ready to adjust to other schemes.  This loss is as much on him as it is anyone else.  And going forward, I believe the Bills need to make the business decision about their roster in terms of who is at a higher risk to play in games.  We can't keep hoping not to lose guys from week to week and have it affect the team.  I respect everyone's decision to do what is right for themselves and their body, but I also respect that this is a business and you need to put the best product on the field.  If there is a player that you can't rely on to be out there all 17 games, then you need to make the appropriate moves to be prepared.

On to the Saints on a short week and then home Monday Night against the Pats.  We are no longer in the driver's seat, nor are we the media darlings we were.  Maybe that's a good thing.  Maybe the players bought into the hype.  Regardless, they haven't looked right on offense all year and need to figure it out.  If they get on track in December, the rest of the season doesn't matter.  These next few weeks are crucial and I still Billieve we are playing for the one seed.

Go Bills!!!

Thank you for the write up so many of us look forward to Virgil. Happy Thanksgiving this week to you and fellow TBD'ers. 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Despite whatever personnel flaws the team has--and it has real weak spots that everybody here has gone on about at length--what you say here is the heart of it. McDermott is being tested at this time in a way he has not been so far as coach of the Bills. The question is, can he get these players to play smart, intense football; can he get them all pulling in the same direction at the same time, can he get all three phases of the game to play their best. This is the moment where he rises to the occasion or he fails. There are enough good players that they can win any game they are in. But they have not consistently played to their maximum potential except for brief periods this season, and it's up to McDermott to get them at least close to that place. 

Football Life Missing Rings series the 88 Bengals are chronicled (missing ring due to losing in SB to 49ers last second) and Sam Wyche is very honest that a season or two prior he blew it as a coach in a situation like this. But he recovered and the team bought his honesty and change. Obviously I hope things go well for the Bills and McD, but many coaches have faced these situations and came out wrong and had to learn themselves how to overcome. As I said if you step back as a neutral observer it is a really interesting situation. As a Bills fan it f*cking sucks haha 

• Agree 2

My Thoughts:

2 Penalties  There's another entire thread titled something to the effect of "D line rotation is hurting us"   I don't think that is really true, but do wonder if the rotation does lead to some of these rough the passer and personal foul calls.  It may be that some like an Obada aren't getting that many snaps so when he's in there goes a little bit harder to both show how good he is and also as an audition for other teams to see on tape as he is an upcoming FA I believe.   And in doing so they are going too far and taking penalties.  If playing more snaps get a better feel for the game in when to go all out and when to hold up.

3 Ford   Agree, he looked OK.   If you add up all the games Ford has played at guard for the Bills it adds up to about 10 games.  Hard to judge someone after 10 games.

6   Special Teams  Agree on McKenzie, will also add seems he's kind of become hell bent on taking every kick back and has been stopped short of 25 on a number of them too.  On the other hand thought he is 5th in the league in KO return average if only counting players with more than 15 returns.  Read some posts about missing Andre Roberts, he is on his 2nd team this year.

9 Dome   Watching the game I was also thinking that a dome might not be the worst idea LOL  Allen could/should be around for 10 plus seasons, plus league is becoming more of a passing league so even 20 years from now having a dome for a passing offense isn't the worst thing.  You can build a team to play in bad weather, but that won't help you when weather is beautiful in Sept and October or the road games in LA.  Having a strong passing offense down the road with a dome would likely be fine in at least 14 of the 18 games played.

Saw a response above listing a much longer list of champion teams that played outside vs inside.  Pats, Chiefs, Packers and Pitt are legit bad weather locations, however do seem to recall Green Bay losing two NFC championship games at home with great QB play on the team  Most of Steelers championships were in a different non passing era and Chiefs won one time.  Adding Bucs, 49ers, and Titans to list is kind of funny.  I'd agree if Bills played in Tampa, no need for a dome.  Am not that concerned about dome or open air for one or two games in January that won't even happen every year under the best of plans.  More concerned with every year the games played in November and December.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, cale said:

Great review. I'll only disagree with one thing. We know Ford is bad. The team knows that Ford is bad. Our opponents know that Ford is bad.  And we're still having to play him. What does that say about our roster management? It's embarrassing.

I wish we could be like all those other teams that have never had to play bad players because of an injury.

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I was sitting in the stands, so I'm not sure about this, but Addison looked like he was pushed from behind into Wentz to cause the penalty. That's a play I wish the sky judge could help the refs with. But since there was the d-holding flag, the point is moot.

I saw him complaining about that on the sideline, but the delay between when Wentz threw the ball and when he was hit seemed like an eternity.  I don't know if I buy him being a victim there.  However, I'll reserve judgement for the All-22

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Yeah, sorry for the lateness on this one.  Yesterday just got away from me.  I was never really upset over this loss and expected it.  I was fairly mellow all game.

Thanks for the well written analysis. I agree with everything you say. My only comment is that while you are accurate in placing blame for the undisciplined play on coaching, I have to ask the rhetorical question, "what can you do about it in this day and age?" You cannot make them run wind sprints or give you 50 pushups. Heck, you probably can't even hollar too loud or you'll likely get sued. As a coach who preaches accountability, all you can hope for is that the team leaders hold their peers accountable. Maybe they can guilt underachievers into playing smarter and harder. The coaches can only make personnel decisions based on on-field performance and even then, it's likely next year before lazy guys like Vernon Butler will be let go.

Like you, I had a feeling about the way the Colts game would go. I'm disappointed but not angry.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

9 - Dome

Yup. Ownership has to wake up on this. The NFL is NOT AT ALL built for 'ground and pound'. Snow.... open the roof for a game or two, but is not a competitive advantage for our players, recruiting, practice, NFL air rules. OP WIND is horrific. Can anyone name an NFL location with more wind?  NOPE. Seriously, there is no place with more wind. I like the snow globe games like everybody but we get 1 (maybe) a year. Dah: Great outside tailgating and retractable roofs are two completely different topics.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Yup. Ownership has to wake up on this. The NFL is NOT AT ALL built for 'ground and pound'. Snow.... open the roof for a game or two, but is not a competitive advantage for our players, recruiting, practice, NFL air rules. OP WIND is horrific. Can anyone name an NFL location with more wind?  NOPE. Seriously, there is no place with more wind. I like the snow globe games like everybody but we get 1 (maybe) a year. Dah: Great outside tailgating and retractable roofs are two completely different topics.

P.S. Wouldn't it be better to practice blind timing routes when: wind may or may not be swirling the same at practices or in games? OR practice field is not the stadium field? it's raining, it's not raining, turf, lines different at practice field....I retract cover makes sense to me. Your team could be practicing in the exact HOME field environment with a retract dome, EXACT ENVIRONMENT, EVERY PLAY, EVERY DAY, EVERY YEAR....fine-tune your home timing pass attack.... 

Good write up. I only thought one call went against the Bills and that was on the first INT. They should have called illegal contact and given the Bills a first down. Allen was still in the pocket so the WRs are not to be touched after 5 yards. It was a missed call. Other than that all the other penalties were self inflicted. McD has had an up and down track record on penalties. He has good and bad years. 

I still don't understand being in nickel most of the time. Milano can cover backs or TEs out of the backfield and line up wide if needed. They should have been in a base 4-3 much more. 

On to New Orleans. The season will be decided next Monday night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I saw him complaining about that on the sideline, but the delay between when Wentz threw the ball and when he was hit seemed like an eternity.  I don't know if I buy him being a victim there.  However, I'll reserve judgement for the All-22

I looked at the game pass and Addison was off balance while running towards Wentz. When he got pushed from behind, there was no way he could stop. The refs only see the outcome,  not the cause. That's why skyjudge could overrule this foul.

@Virgil I read your write ups every week.  I don't usually comment on them because you say most of the stuff anyways.  This might be your best write up yet.  I agree with everything I think. I will add a few thoughts.

First McD... This teams toughness whether mental or physical starts with him.  The penalties are on him.  I also did not like the 4th-5 call to FG. The entire offense was begging to go for it.  McD called them off the field and they all hung their head.  They were demoralized.  It took the life out of them IMO.  Bad call to kick a fg there.  Even if they made it 3 points is nothing.

I wanted to add more but unfortunately ran out of time.  I will post again later.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

8 - Daboll - Agreed. Can't even judge as the game got out of hand so quick I am not sure what to say. The offense moved the ball and then went INT, TD, fumble, & missed FG. It was 24-7 by their 5th possession and your game plan is limited at that point.

To be clear it was 24 - 7 and the Bills had only had two offensive possessions.  To me this is the remarkable stat that most of the Bills beat writers are not talking about.

After the Colts went p 7 - 0 the Bills had a nice drive going and should have had a 1st & 10 at the Colts 25. Instead, back to back O-line penalties pushed the Bills out of FG range and contributed to Allen forcing a pass that was INT.  But even after the INT, the Colts had the ball at their own 40 - the same place they would have had it had Buffalo missed a 50 yard FG try.

After another time consuming Indy TD drive that put the Bills behind 14 - 0 Buffalo had a nice TD drive to cut the Colts lead in half.

But instead of being fired up and getting a 3 and out the Bills D yielded a nearly 9 minute FG drive that put the Colts up 17 -7.  Then we had the McKenzie fumble and the Bills trailed 24 - 7 having only had two possessions on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Mariano Rivera is arguably the best MLB closer of all time. Beyond the numbers and championships, the thing that made him so great was that every hitter knew what pitch was coming. When you were down 0-2, the high cutter was coming your way. Posada would literally stand up behind the plate. As a viewer, it almost didn’t make sense why these professional athletes couldn’t hit a pitch that they knew the location and type, yet it just kept happening. If there ever was an example that represented the Bills game, it’s knowing exactly what and who was going to hurt you against the Colts, but being able to do absolutely nothing to stop it.

1 - Wentz - I could talk about how great JT a was, but I think that Wentz barely completing 50% or his passes for just over 100 yards should tell you the story of how a 40 point loss went. Wentz had a few good passes and managers to Houdini out of a sack, but how often do you see games today where the quarterback isn’t relevant.

2 - Penalties - I’m done pointing the finger at the refs or any other conspiracy theorist, we are consistently one of the worst teams for penalties and it’s losing us games. Penalties comes down to coaching for me and McD owns it. If I were him, I would have benched Addison after his roughing penalty. That was absolutely inexcusable and extended another Colts drive. Addison is also the DE who couldn’t tackle Wentz on the escape play. On our first drive, penalties knocked us back from a first down at the 25 to a 3rd and long from the 40, which led to an INT. Penalties bailed the Colts out on 3rd down multiple times. Poyer jumped in with a personal foul hit out of bounds, that added 15 and put the Colts in scoring range. Some want to question the teams toughness, others intensity. No matter what it is, coaches own all things mental and we’ve been far from good since the Titans loss.

3 - Ford - I was surprised to see Ford and Williams be left to block one on one for a lot of the game. And, surprisingly to everyone, Ford did a great job. He handled Buckner a few times and Josh was relatively good to pass on most plays.

4 -So I'm riding away, away
Hiding away, away
So much talk it makes no sense at all
So I'm flying away, away
Driving away, away
Passing old friends I don't miss at all

5 - Moss - After watching the past few games, I would be good demoting Moss to our 3rd back. Breida showed some good flashes again and Motor even had some solid plays. It’s tough to talk about the running game when you only rush ten times roughly, but everyone seemed to get the memo about upping their game besides Moss.

6 - Special Teams - If you only had to watch one play in this game to know how it went, just watch the McKenzie kickoff return before the half. McKenzie found a way to trip in the open field and then fumble the ball away, with no defenders within 5 yards of him. On a drive that could have setup the halftime double punch and make this an entirely different game, all the McKenzie haters watched in slow motion as their wildest dreams came true. Also, if you needed more of a reason to understand how off this game was, Bass missed two FGs, one that got caught by the wind and off into the stands.

7 - Chiefs - This is a first for me, but I write them so I’ll do what I want. If you watched the Chiefs game, in what was meant to be a passing slug fest, the Chiefs did two things well. They ran the ball to control the clock, going against who they are as a team. And when on defense, they led their highly paid pass rusher stay on the field and get pressure against Dak. While teams have strengths and weaknesses, they are still comprised of NFL players. Our inability to ever show a power run game and our 40+ million defensive rotation line with our first two draft picks, are not showing up at all and it’s killing us. Yes, the Colts were running the ball at will and we weren’t in a pass rush situation often, but that much money on a line who can’t do the one trick of their one trick pony show is a concern. Some teams are built for certain things, and we clearly are not built to win in the trenches. And in a weather game where that matters and we apparently don’t need a dome, we looked like a high school team.

8 - Daboll - I honestly thought Daboll had a decent strategy for this game and continued his varied looks.  Execution and penalties were the real killer here, then add on the 3 score deficit.  The Bills offense was going right down field until the penalties knocked them back.  If they kept going, (yes, I know SDS), then it's reasonable to believe the game is tied at half.  Now, going 3 and out to start the second half was bad and I wonder what happened to the scripted plays to start the second half, but I can forgive Daboll for having to play from behind and not being helped by the defense or player mental discipline.

9 - Dome - Whether you want to say we are a physical team or not, there's no denying that we've had multiple games over the past few years that have affected our offense.  I understand that both teams need to play in it, but other teams are adjusting better.  I also understand wanting a home field advantage in colder weather against warm weather teams.  With that being said, I truly believe we need a dome stadium with a retractable roof.  If the stadium stays in OP, the money saved will more than cover that feature.  Would it have mattered in a game like this?  Possibly not.  But would Allen have been able to have a little more accuracy and would the drops have been as rampant?  I think the team needs to have the option going forward.  We aren't playing the Dolphins in the playoffs anymore.  Yes, it was fun, and if you miss it we can open the roof.  More so, home field advantage doesn't seem to mean much to this team.  The fans are as loud as ever, travel well, and I can't think of a game where the team used it to their advantage. 

10 - McD - Someone posted on Twitter that the Bucs were 7-5 at this time last year and went on to win the Super Bowl.  There are few teams built to dismantle our front line and we've played two of them in the Colts and Titans.  The Bucs are coming up and can probably do the same.  Does that mean our roster is garbage?  No.  Each team is built different and it's a passing league.  However, coaches can typically scheme to adjust for weaknesses and I have a big issue that we seem to be crippled by the loss of Star, Edmunds, Mongo, and Spencer.  I understand that they are starters, but 2 of them didn't even play last year and we got it done.  McD needs to get this team more disciplined and ready to adjust to other schemes.  This loss is as much on him as it is anyone else.  And going forward, I believe the Bills need to make the business decision about their roster in terms of who is at a higher risk to play in games.  We can't keep hoping not to lose guys from week to week and have it affect the team.  I respect everyone's decision to do what is right for themselves and their body, but I also respect that this is a business and you need to put the best product on the field.  If there is a player that you can't rely on to be out there all 17 games, then you need to make the appropriate moves to be prepared.

On to the Saints on a short week and then home Monday Night against the Pats.  We are no longer in the driver's seat, nor are we the media darlings we were.  Maybe that's a good thing.  Maybe the players bought into the hype.  Regardless, they haven't looked right on offense all year and need to figure it out.  If they get on track in December, the rest of the season doesn't matter.  These next few weeks are crucial and I still Billieve we are playing for the one seed.

Go Bills!!!

The voice of reason. Nice analysis! 

after further reflection, I disagree with the expert takes I have been reading all week. This past game was nothing more than the game getting away from us early. Felt like the titans game last year. I am not going to read into this team anything more than that. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 - Dome - This game is the one that broke me in terms of weather. I am over sitting in rain soaked the entire game win or lose. I am over having an offense that is a Ferrari yet they are limited to 35 mph. I could give two sh*ts about old school football I just want to win and the weather limits this teams best strength to do so.

Agree with the Dome in Buffalo.. It's the greatest thing here in Dallas... however it will never have a retractable roof.. Cost 1M to open and close it again, from the quotes I have seen at Jerry's World.  Can't see the Bills paying that amount of cash to open a sunroof.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

This right here is as far as you needed to go to tell the entire story.  Wentz not needing to pass to win this game is why we lost the game.  I watched Leslie Frazier throw his players under the bus and say, "it wasn't the personnel grouping, it was the personnel".  While that may be true, that right there is a prime example of why Leslie Frazier is not a head coach in this league.  If the players on the field aren't getting the job done, who's responsibility is it to either put different personnel in the game or change the plan to fix the problems?  Hint... not the players.   

I'm no coach and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn.  But, I think it's reasonable to assume that if you are getting the ball stuffed down your throat for 2 or 3 quarters, it might be time to switch out of nickle and put some bigger bodies in there to stop the run and force them to beat you by throwing the ball.  Just a thought. 

Edited by shoveldog
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.