Don't Give a ***** - Keith Moon is getting his own thread

BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

FEISTY ..... Leons Feisty today LOL

Good Morning 2BD!

4 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Any of you know what the ***** is happening in this video?

NO but you're  gonna spill it pal.......lol. Im taking your word too  hahahaaa silly!

7 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Just to get this out of the way... and it is pretty frickin fantastic:

Love this video.  Just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago.

For years I was on the Neil Peart and nobody else train.  Still kinda am, but realized guys like Moon, Bonham and others while not as technically proficient as Peart, where great drummers.  Bonham was a nut, but great.  Moon more technical than Bonham and really added great drum fills to The Who’s music.  Believe both Moon and Bonham were the perfect drummers for their bands.

One of my favorites is Joe Morello from the Dave Brubeck band.  Fantastic stick handling, musicianship.  Just an all around great drummer.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Any of you know what the ***** is happening in this video?

Given the lack of cables and amps, I'd say what's happening is lip-syncing and instrument-syncing.

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Love this video.  Just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago.

For years I was on the Neil Peart and nobody else train.  Still kinda am, but realized guys like Moon, Bonham and others while not as technically proficient as Peart, where great drummers.  Bonham was a nut, but great.  Moon more technical than Bonham and really added great drum fills to The Who’s music.  Believe both Moon and Bonham were the perfect drummers for their bands.

One of my favorites is Joe Morello from the Dave Brubeck band.  Fantastic stick handling, musicianship.  Just an all around great drummer.

None of the guys you mention (I'm a huge Bonzo fan) are anywhere near the level of Ginger Baker.

Those guys couldn't swing to save their ass; Ginger could do it all and thought of himself first and foremost as a jazz drummer, not a rocker drummer.  Even Bonzo (best rock drummer of them all IMO) was quite clearly on a lower level than Baker.  

Keith Moon was a very crude "great" drummer by great drummer standards.

He got by on more enthusiasm than talent IMO.

Ginger in the era of this video was on another planet.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

None of the guys you mention (I'm a huge Bonzo fan) are anywhere near the level of Ginger Baker.

Those guys couldn't swing to save their ass; Ginger could do it all and thought of himself first and foremost as a jazz drummer, not a rocker drummer.  Even Bonzo (best rock drummer of them all IMO) was quite clearly on a lower level than Baker.  

Keith Moon was a very crude "great" drummer by great drummer standards.

He got by on more enthusiasm than talent IMO.

Ginger in the era of this video was on another planet.

Baker is a good drummer.  Like you said great for his era.  Ranks really high on most lists.  Many other really good and great drummers out there.  

Moon was more technically proficient than he gets credit for.  If you get last his antics, he was really great.  

Joe Morello was great.  Small set but played the hell out of it.  Musicianship, speed   And great stick handling.  Gotta watch the whole video:

Neal Peart was the best ever.  Technical proficiency, musicianship, speed, use of his set.  Just amazing.  Many Rush songs were as good as they were because of his abilities.  As time goes I have grown to appreciate other drummers, but still hold Peart in the highest regard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Where all the SUV BS started.  Thanks Madison Ave:

SUVs were popular before that.

In general, I'm not opposed to bands selling their songs for commercials. I've actually been turned on to music I wouldn't have heard otherwise because it was featured an an ad. But I was really bummed when Pete allowed Happy Jack to be used in a Hummer commercial.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm seeing Steely Dan Wednesday.

Saw them on a warm summer evening at the Chastain Park Amphitheater in Atlanta a few years back. Great venue and loved the show. We took our son, then in his early 20’s. When asked how he was enjoying the show he responded “it’s like elevator music, but without the air conditioning.”  😡

We still love him, despite that moment.   

I saw The Who in Cincinnati during college. That was a very bad night, if you know what I mean. People died. I used to enjoy their music, as evidenced by spending precious beer money on tickets, but to this day I generally change the station if they come on. I’m not sure if my taste has changed, or it’s something else. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Neal Peart was the best ever.  Technical proficiency, musicianship, speed, use of his set.  Just amazing.  Many Rush songs were as good as they were because of his abilities.  As time goes I have grown to appreciate other drummers, but still hold Peart in the highest regard.

I was just going to say Neil. I mean who after 20 plus years of drumming and considered one of the very best of all time, ditches everything he knows on drums, takes lessons, starts from the very beginning, and comes away light years better? 

• Like (+1) 1

I love Ginger Baker for sure but I'd put Ed Cassidy right next to him, probably a little above... same type of background. Born in 1923... drumming since a kid, played in many jazz bands, etc. Also was in the Rising Sons with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder. I believe he still holds the oldest rock drummer award too. Got to see Spirit on his 70'th birthday at Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa and sat down with him and Randy after the show at a picnic table. Both super nice and genuine... signed everything I brought too. I think it was Randy's last show ever... he drowned in Hawaii not long afterwards trying to save his son.

Anyways, here is a small example:

I'm not here to claim this drummer is better than that drummer - IMO that often/should come down to personal taste. With that said:

I saw Neil Peart in the early 80's and it was jaw dropping. For me he was the focus of the show and nobody ever came close.  Until I saw Gavin Harrison some 30 years later with Porcupine Tree. It was equally jaw dropping. 

Never saw Moon, never saw Bonham,...but Peart and Harrison are far and away the best I ever saw.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/15/2021 at 6:19 PM, Augie said:

Saw them on a warm summer evening at the Chastain Park Amphitheater in Atlanta a few years back. Great venue and loved the show. We took our son, then in his early 20’s. When asked how he was enjoying the show he responded “it’s like elevator music, but without the air conditioning.”  😡

We still love him, despite that moment.   

I saw The Who in Cincinnati during college. That was a very bad night, if you know what I mean. People died. I used to enjoy their music, as evidenced by spending precious beer money on tickets, but to this day I generally change the station if they come on. I’m not sure if my taste has changed, or it’s something else. 

I may have missed an earlier post, but you were at Riverfront the night the kids died?   That’s nuts, what a horrible and crazy thing. 

I saw The Who/The Clash at Rich in 1982.  We were drinking Grandad and Ginger Ale out of a large cooler, something I hadn’t done before and have not done since.  Great show, glad I was there and I see the pictures now and think “Holy Sh*t That’s a lot of people!”. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 8:56 AM, gomper said:

Who can forget this classic moment. 

As a long time piano player and wanna be guitarist--who has attempted to play both instruments many times while drunk--I have NO IDEA how anyone can play a musical instrument to a high level while so hammered that they pass out.

There are some videos out there where Jimmy Page can barely stand (out of his mind on smack I suppose) and his playing is HORRIBLE....but he is actually playing, and it's really hard music to boot.  Like solos to Stairway and what not.

I have no idea how Keith Moon could have been playing drums while on the brink of passing out.

Bonzo was another hopeless drunk.  Ginger Baker was a wicked smack addict...

So many great musicians with huge problems with drugs and alcohol.

I wonder why the 2 go together like salt and pepper.

Any ideas?

EDIT:  "He's still a bit dodgy...but we'll get him right."

LMFAO!  That was great!

Edited by Nextmanup

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2021 at 5:05 PM, WhoTom said:

In general, I'm not opposed to bands selling their songs for commercials. I've actually been turned on to music I wouldn't have heard otherwise because it was featured an an ad. But I was really bummed when Pete allowed Happy Jack to be used in a Hummer commercial.

Who owns the rights to The Who's songs? Sometimes during lean years whole catalogs of music are sold off and the new owner can use them any way they want.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:05 PM, WhoTom said:

A couple of years ago Target had an ad that used Pictures of Matchstick Men... I heard it from the other room and had to walk out and see who was using it.

20 hours ago, rockpile said:

Who owns the rights to The Who's songs? Sometimes during lean years whole catalogs of music are sold off and the new owner can use them any way they want.

I haven't seen any reports of The Who doing that, but I know in the early days, the record companies held all the rights. It's possible that Happy Jack in the Hummer commercial wasn't Pete's decision, but I do know that he's defended his decision to allow some songs to be used for TV themes (CSI and Who Are You, e.g.) and commercials. He simply said, "I'm glad you like the songs, and now a new generation will be exposed to them." 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.