Basham evaluation against Jets

Ethan in Cleveland

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Some would say that’s a great reason to question the Basham pick.

And some would say pressure is important, and we need to plan ahead with guys like Hughes and Addison getting long in the tooth while also being very expensive. Good organizations plan ahead. 

I hope Basham continues to get more playing time this season but looking at what Creed Humprhey is doing as a rookie with the Chiefs is very deflating knowing we could have had him.

The dude is the #1 graded center in the league as a rookie and we could have had him and played him at center or guard quite frankly.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

From what I saw Basham barely saw the field. I think he got a few reps at DE in the fourth quarter.  Butler, Phillips, and Oliver took the majority of the DT snaps. Obada and Epenesa were on the field quite a bit.  Basham looks stocky (I’m trying to be kind but he looks thick around the waist) and slow. Doesn’t look like a NFL 4-3 DE. 
Did I miss anything?

He dresses funny after games??

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

not sure Epenesa's redshirt year worked out too well.  He looks average at best this year.  Just let the fans pick the 2nd round or trade for an established vet.

You realize some of these fans hated the Josh Allen pick and of course the “Bills always take a cb” with the White pick. 
But yeah, solid idea armed with hindsight and someone else’s career in your hands. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

From what I saw Basham barely saw the field. I think he got a few reps at DE in the fourth quarter.  Butler, Phillips, and Oliver took the majority of the DT snaps. Obada and Epenesa were on the field quite a bit.  Basham looks stocky (I’m trying to be kind but he looks thick around the waist) and slow. Doesn’t look like a NFL 4-3 DE. 
Did I miss anything?

Seems like he is taking the same path Epenesa did last year in learning how to play DE in the NFL

12 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I met Ron McDole at a charity event, man was he fat

image.png.258e3255cc5d3f414f6cfa81630fb245.png

My grandfather was partnered with Ron McDole in some kind of construction business or something at the end of McDole's career.    I remember my grandfather telling me about it and giving me one of those late 70's trucker hats with the foam top and mesh back with a really dumb looking patch on it with the company name that had a football design of some sort.    It was not autographed.    But that sh*t went right under the bed never to be seen again.......with the Red Foxx autograph my mom got for me at Caesar's.       

200.gif

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Poorly titled. Like I said I was excited to see him play and I just wasn't sure if he got on the field earlier than the fourth quarter.

I thought he would get some snaps subbing for Oliver who was a beast today

You used questionable phrases for sure, and there are enough elite members here to rip you and laugh because they want you to know how brilliant they are. (A few are really in tune but I won't tell you who).,

We all get excited about a thought and can express it poorly. Many of the elites do not allow you that mistake.

BTW, I to wonder about his body shape as compared to our other def ends, but first year can be deceiving. He looks to have more power than quick.

After the draft, the consensus seemed to be Basham would make the team and get playing time right off the bat, and Groot may have to take a "redshirt year".  So I definately understood Beane's approach in the draft. Plus the Bills definately needed to get younger (and less expensive) at theses spots.  Interestingly, Groot is the one  who came out looking pretty NFL ready right from the start. He still has work to do, of course.

Boogie has looked pretty good, IMO, during his limited playing time. But remember, the Bills use all of their D lineman in a heavy rotation. It's tough to break into the starting lineup and then tough to get too many reps, when you are constantly being rotated.  As guys like Hughes and Addison move on, I think Boogie will be ready to step right on in. His ability to play inside as well as outside will help, as well.

• Agree 1

Incomplete.  We haven't seen enough of Basham to evaluate him.  I presume that's because the team is deep at DE and Basham still needs to develop some.  In any case, Two Bills Drive is not where I would go to get an objective and trustworthy evaluation, though there are some here who can come much closer to that than most of us.  Hint:  I am not one of them.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I hope Basham continues to get more playing time this season but looking at what Creed Humprhey is doing as a rookie with the Chiefs is very deflating knowing we could have had him.

The dude is the #1 graded center in the league as a rookie and we could have had him and played him at center or guard quite frankly.

The bit where we use hindsight to find some guy in the draft who turned out well (in this case with minimal time to properly evaluate either player) to point out we should have taken another player is old and tiresome. You name the year, and I’ll point out where every single team should have taken someone else. That’s shooting fish in a barrel. 

The FO is building a roster, not just picking players. I fully agree we need to upgrade the interior OL, but I won’t resort to “what if’s” and calling them out. I’d say the FO is doing a fine job of building a strong, deep roster. There will be hits and misses, like every team, but you just have to have a better batting average than the rest of the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

The bit where we use hindsight to find some guy in the draft who turned out well (in this case with minimal time to properly evaluate either player) to point out we should have taken another player is old and tiresome. You name the year, and I’ll point out where every single team should have taken someone else. That’s shooting fish in a barrel. 

The FO is building a roster, not just picking players. I fully agree we need to upgrade the interior OL, but I won’t resort to “what if’s” and calling them out. I’d say the FO is doing a fine job of building a strong, deep roster. There will be hits and misses, like every team, but you just have to have a better batting average than the rest of the league. 

Take the Chiefs for example. Everyone said they improved their OL this year because they added talent. Well, they added talent, but they didn't improve the line at all. 

McBeane has shown they understand team chemistry and the way the talent meshes together. Clearly they haven't quite figured out the OL, yet. But I think they will in time. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.