Possible offensive solution?

Buffalo Barbarian

Yes i know our Oline is trash, ive said so myself multiple times.

However teams are playing a Tampa 2 against us and making us dink and dunk down the field.

There is an offense that is famous for this and thats the West Coast Offense. So instead of 4 and 5 wide we go to a fullback with Moss and Singletary at Half Back , i know Knox is out but will be back soon but i think Sweeney can be more consistent with more reps and then Diggs and Beasley at wide out.

Now im not saying we run a ton, but pass from it like the west coast offensive was originally designed as a passing offense that couldn't run the ball.

Im also NOT SAYING we scrap our offense but just run plays that fit 22 personnel that can take advantage of players who can make those dink and dunk plays. 

EDIT : Coach preaches about situational awareness but thats not going to help our weaknesses. We need to adapt our offensive and defensive styles when certain starters are out. If Ford is in we should run more, when star is out we should go more 43 against the physical teams.

We adapted to star being out last year we need to do the same this year. Now the offense needs to adapt, we played more 22 personnel last week and threw to diggs and it worked awesome but this week we abandon it.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Why do you think Sweeney will be any better? That is just blind faith.  He's a 7th round draft pick that wouldn't make most rosters in the NFL. Same for Gilliam.  They cut the wrong TE.  

As for your idea, I actually think it is good. I would much rather have Moss on the field than Gilliam.  Moss can pass block and catch out of the backfield.  

Getting Knox back will be key.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Get Brown healthy , move him to RT and move Williams back to RG, get Knox back healthy. That would be a good start.  And as MAJBobby just said, get Diggs involved early and often.

Stop throwing 2 yard patterns. We don't have the quick/speedsters to make those plays work.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why do you think Sweeney will be any better? That is just blind faith.  He's a 7th round draft pick that wouldn't make most rosters in the NFL. Same for Gilliam.  They cut the wrong TE.  

As for your idea, I actually think it is good. I would much rather have Moss on the field than Gilliam.  Moss can pass block and catch out of the backfield.  

Getting Knox back will be key.  

Sweeney really stinks as a receiver.    Lofton was kind to him when he critiqued Sweeney leaving his feet for no reason to catch that football............you just can't be any good in the NFL is you are so uncoordinated that you can't catch THAT easy of a pass without shutting off your feet.   Any backup receiving TE should get a first down on that play.  

The OL is the biggest problem..........but not having players who can make plays once they get the football in their hands(sorry Beasley and Sanders, but that's you guys) is a problem and teams know it.    If you can't get RAC yards then teams will let you throw that underneath sh*t all day.     That's why,   as @MAJBobby noted.........they gotta' get the ball in Diggs hands.   With Knox out,  he is the only threat to get yards after the catch that they have.

I know they are probably trying to limit the beating that Diggs takes during the season........but they are going to have to feed him the ball to make teams pay for trying to keep everything in front of them.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

How about establish a running game? Put Josh under center more and get some play action going. We got down 3 points and basically abandoned the running game... again. Played right into their strength. They have a good DL and our OL banged up and not good. They were pinning their ears back. This was my gripe with Daboll last year. Sometimes I feel like he is trying to get Josh that MVP. That'd look really nice on his resume when he goes HC job hunting. And that'd be great if Josh got MVP and all that. But you're actually hurting him by passing 80% in games like today. Stubborn play calling. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with the Run The Ball comments.  When you run do not run it straight up the gut all the time.  Put in Breida who has the speed to get to the edge.  What happened to the Jet Sweep play.  McKenzie use to run that at least once a game.  I don't think we have seen that this year.  Diggs could also run that.  Daboll has no imagination when it comes to run plays.  He sends Singletary or Moss up the middle every time.   Change it up, Cmon Man!

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes i know our Oline is trash, ive said so myself multiple times.

However teams are playing a Tampa 2 against us and making us dink and dunk down the field.

There is an offense that is famous for this and thats the West Coast Offense. So instead of 4 and 5 wide we go to a fullback with Moss and Singletary at Half Back , i know Knox is out but will be back soon but i think Sweeney can be more consistent with more reps and then Diggs and Beasley at wide out.

Now im not saying we run a ton, but pass from it like the west coast offensive was originally designed as a passing offense that couldn't run the ball.

Im also NOT SAYING we scrap our offense but just run plays that fit 22 personnel that can take advantage of players who can make those dink and dunk plays. 

The thing is, the 49ers had a really O line all those SB years to help run that WCO.

Think back to last season and Josh looked to always have so much time in the pocket to pick and choose his targets. This also gave Diggs the time needed to get open. 

This is not happening this season.

The Bills O line keeping 5 in to block 4 simply aren't getting the job done the last few games. So much pressure on Allen to get the ball out and Daboll isn't setting schemes to do this. You can't keep running the same offensive plays and expect to get results game after game. Teams figure the offense out and adjust. 

All I can say is...where is the innovation on offense, run and passing game? This starts at the top with Bills OC Brian Daboll. 

The Bills were dunking to Beas with 11 targets, 8 reception's for 33 yards. Which meant that as soon as he caught the ball he was getting hit. Also, they were doubling Diggs every play.

Six points against the NFLs 28th ranked defense in the Jags. The Bills at least scored 26 points against the 32nd ranked defense of Miami. 

It saddens me to see this team play this bad on offense in knowing that they won't win the division or reach the super bowl...not playing like this.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

Run and Shoot?

Chuck and duck

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The thing is, the 49ers had a really O line all those SB years to help run that WCO.

Think back to last season and Josh looked to always have so much time in the pocket to pick and choose his targets. This also gave Diggs the time needed to get open. 

This is not happening this season.

The Bills O line keeping 5 in to block 4 simply aren't getting the job done the last few games. So much pressure on Allen to get the ball out and Daboll isn't setting schemes to do this. You can't keep running the same offensive plays and expect to get results game after game. Teams figure the offense out and adjust. 

All I can say is...where is the innovation on offense, run and passing game? This starts at the top with Bills OC Brian Daboll. 

The Bills were dunking to Beas with 11 targets, 8 reception's for 33 yards. Which meant that as soon as he caught the ball he was getting hit. Also, they were doubling Diggs every play.

Six points against the NFLs 28th ranked defense in the Jags. The Bills at least scored 26 points against the 32nd ranked defense of Miami. 

It saddens me to see this team play this bad on offense in knowing that they won't win the division or reach the super bowl...not playing like this.  

Other teams have come to understand that we don't have a home run guy at running back.  They can give up the reliable 0-4 yard run and NOT have to worry about the 30-50 yard chunk play from the RB.   So we can (if Josh would allow) do a lot of 5 yard come-back, no JAG passes.  We GIVE UP having a fast RB, headed down field 5 yard behind the line of scrimmage.  That is what the other teams do not have to game plan against.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.