Dune

Doc

The 80s version is a fun movie though a little campy. Never watched the SciFi channel mini series version.

The new one is excellent. Feels like a much better adaptation of the book. Only downside is it ended abruptly with a good amount of story left to tell. Like mentioned above it would be nice if it was already in production so we would know it was on the way. I'm not even sure it has been green lit yet so hopefully the box office is decent enough for that to happen.

1 hour ago, Metal Man said:

Only downside is it ended abruptly with a good amount of story left to tell.

Waiting patiently here for the rest of 'Battlefield Earth' to go up on the silver screen.  Travolta's abomination likewise only covered the early part of the book.  Just keep everyone involved in the first movie away from part two. 😁

51 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Waiting patiently here for the rest of 'Battlefield Earth' to go up on the silver screen.  Travolta's abomination likewise only covered the early part of the book.  Just keep everyone involved in the first movie away from part two. 😁

I read that book after seeing the movie.  All I remember is thinking it was an interesting way to continue the story, but no way they'd ever make it into a movie. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

I read that book after seeing the movie.  All I remember is thinking it was an interesting way to continue the story, but no way they'd ever make it into a movie. 

With CGI and a tight script, it would be interesting.  Maybe pare back on the local political intrigue on Earth (Brown Limper Staffor), but emphasize efforts to prevent the outsiders from moving in.  Would also be interesting to see Hubbard's original concept of the Psychlos; 9 foot tall giants.

I went to IMAX over the weekend. I’m very happy with it.

I absolutely hate the David Lynch 1984 version. Horrible casting choices, cheesy costumes, and the second half of the film takes too many liberties with Herbert’s novel.

I’m sure part 2 will get picked up. For any Dune fans, check out Jodorowsky's Dune, a documentary on a great film that was unfortunately never made.

Edited by Rockpile233

I thought it was pretty excellent, but I have not read the novels.

Agree that we had a pretty drastic break without any sequel on the horizon which is tough.

This really should have been a lead-in to an HBO series or something... or been a series itself.  

The Barron was great.  Casting overall seemed well-done.  

Lots of great discussion in the thread.  Thanks.

I never read the book and saw the entire original about 5 years ago, after seeing bits and pieces over the years.  I thought it was a very odd movie at first, but the more time I saw it, the more I liked it.  I thought it was given unfair reviews considering it told the entire story in just over 2 hours, and before CGI was around.

I didn't care for the series so much.  It made Paul look like a weenie.

As for the remake, I liked it.  But thought it was an odd decision to leave out Feyd, unless he's coming in the 2nd part (which still needs to be greenlit, obviously based on the box office success of Part 1).  But again, unlike the original, it has the benefit of being 2 movies and having CGI, not to mention being able to cast a wider net for actors as most of the actors in the original were largely unknowns, except for Jose Ferrer.  

Edited by Doc

Just now, Doc said:

Lots of great discussion in the thread.  Thanks.

I never read the book and saw the entire original about 5 years ago, after seeing bits and pieces over the years.  I thought it was a very odd movie at first, but the more I saw of it, the more I liked it.  I thought it was given unfair reviews considering it told the entire story in just over 2 hours, and before CGI was around.

I didn't care for the series so much.  It made Paul look like a weenie.

As for the remake, I liked it.  But thought it was an odd decision to leave out Feyd, unless he's coming in the 2nd part (which still needs to be greenlit, obviously based on the box office success of Part 1).  But again, unlike the original, it has the benefit of being 2 movies and having CGI, not to mention being able to cast a wider net for actors as most of the actors in the original were largely unknowns, except for Jose Ferrer.  

I personally think Feyd may be eliminated all together. Could be wrong, but I imagine Bautista’s character will fill that role. I don’t necessarily understand it either.

4 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

I personally think Feyd may be eliminated all together. Could be wrong, but I imagine Bautista’s character will fill that role. I don’t necessarily understand it either.

Seems that way.  Would be odd to leave him out of the first movie entirely only to introduce him in the 2nd. 

Visually great, but drags on. Kids fell asleep. A few teens kept leaving, restless. Saw one person on phone. Mostly older audience in theater too.

Maybe 3 years before we see the sequel; if ever. Not sure if there is enough buzz to make a sequel. Mostly critics pushing this. General populace doesn't seem to be excited. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Seems that way.  Would be odd to leave him out of the first movie entirely only to introduce him in the 2nd. 

He's a bit more of a renegade, am I right? He could've been off doing something else, but come in for part 2 when he's needed. Paul is obviously going to retaliate against the Harkonnen and the emperor.

I love that they never showed the emperor. He seems to be a lurking monster. 

The main theme throughout the film was misunderstanding and underestimating others. It showed up within every aspect of the story and almost every character. I think Paul was the only character who didn't, but he may be underestimating the emperor with his talk of making a play for the throne.

4 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Visually great, but drags on. Kids fell asleep. A few teens kept leaving, restless. Saw one person on phone. Mostly older audience in theater too.

Maybe 3 years before we see the sequel; if ever. Not sure if there is enough buzz to make a sequel. Mostly critics pushing this. General populace doesn't seem to be excited. 

It seems that you think the general populace is people in your immediate vicinity....

People in my immediate vicinity loved it and can't wait for the sequel. 

I guess we cancel each other out.

Seriously though, it needs two things to happen in order to get part 2 greenlit:

1. Make money

2. Get good reviews

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's a bit more of a renegade, am I right? He could've been off doing something else, but come in for part 2 when he's needed. Paul is obviously going to retaliate against the Harkonnen and the emperor.

I love that they never showed the emperor. He seems to be a lurking monster. 

The main theme throughout the film was misunderstanding and underestimating others. It showed up within every aspect of the story and almost every character. I think Paul was the only character who didn't, but he may be underestimating the emperor with his talk of making a play for the throne.

It seems that you think the general populace is people in your immediate vicinity....

People in my immediate vicinity loved it and can't wait for the sequel. 

I guess we cancel each other out.

Seriously though, it needs two things to happen in order to get part 2 greenlit:

1. Make money

2. Get good reviews

It also needs for the cast and crew to be scheduled, signed, and available.

It doesn't even have a script yet.

Already talk that they're going to do a time jump and focus on Zendaya as the lead in the sequel. Probably change in writers and director.

Most people don't even know this movie is out in theaters.

Edited by unbillievable

19 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

That’s where I’m at with it. Watched it last night. Fell asleep several times. It looks cool, the cinematography is really good, and that’s something the director is known for. Strong cast but there really isn’t anything that stands out about any of the characters so the performances are just kinda there. I dunno, after it was over my first thought was like, “Welp, that was definitely a movie.” It just kinda meanders aimlessly, there isn’t a whole lot of action. I kept expecting some kind of conflict to break out but there just wasn’t a lot there. No one will ever mistake me for a Dune superfan, but I do enjoy sci-fi stuff here and there, and as an outsider just checking this movie out based on the scale, the cast, and the buzz from the superfans, I was left pretty unimpressed, I guess. 

12 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

It also needs for the cast and crew to be scheduled, signed, and available.

It doesn't even have a script yet.

Already talk that they're going to do a time jump and focus on Zendaya as the lead in the sequel. Probably change in writers and director.

Most people don't even know this movie is out in theaters.

I think this whole post is incorrect except for the Zendaya part

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

That’s where I’m at with it. Watched it last night. Fell asleep several times. It looks cool, the cinematography is really good, and that’s something the director is known for. Strong cast but there really isn’t anything that stands out about any of the characters so the performances are just kinda there. I dunno, after it was over my first thought was like, “Welp, that was definitely a movie.” It just kinda meanders aimlessly, there isn’t a whole lot of action. I kept expecting some kind of conflict to break out but there just wasn’t a lot there. No one will ever mistake me for a Dune superfan, but I do enjoy sci-fi stuff here and there, and as an outsider just checking this movie out based on the scale, the cast, and the buzz from the superfans, I was left pretty unimpressed, I guess. 

You didn't notice a conflict? Not even a little one?

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've read a couple folks compare it to Blade Runner 2049.

Would you guys consider that either accurate or fair?

Same director, so similar in style at times. That's where the comparison stops, though.

I like 2049 better. Part of that is I'm just a much bigger fan of the Bladerunner franchise and its themes interest me more.

I never read Dune and only watched the original early this year, in anticipation of this new film coming out.

Comparing Dune to Bladerunner 2049 is like comparing Dune to Arrival or Sicario, simply because it's the same director.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

250 million opening weekend tracking to 500. They will make a sequel with that. 

It doesn’t have campy robots or jokey dialog. Not that kind of story. 

I loved it. Totally get that its appeal is going to be more limited without Ewoks, gore, or superheroes but it is by far the best adaptation yet. 5 stars for me. Hope they can get through a couple books but if they just do this and give it legs for HBO series, it’s a win. 

The story centers on a hallucinogen so it’s not exactly easy. 

11 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

For any Dune fans, check out Jodorowsky's Dune, a documentary on a great film that was unfortunately never made.

That was an extremely interesting documentary. 

Chronologically, Dune should have preceded Star Wars and Alien...........and when the huge scale movie fell apart the people who worked on it (and the people who had seen the story boarding etc..) took parts of Jodorowsky's Dune and incorporated them into so many great movies of the late 70's and 80's.

The cast they had hired was amazing.   Sadly it was never made into a movie but the reality is by the mid-80's so much of the planned script had been pilfered into other films that it would have seemed derivative of those films. :lol:

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was an extremely interesting documentary. 

Chronologically, Dune should have preceded Star Wars and Alien...........and when the huge scale movie fell apart the people who worked on it (and the people who had seen the story boarding etc..) took parts of Jodorowsky's Dune and incorporated them into so many great movies of the late 70's and 80's.

The cast they had hired was amazing.   Sadly it was never made into a movie but the reality is by the mid-80's so much of the planned script had been pilfered into other films that it would have seemed derivative of those films. :lol:

There is an Alien documentary called “Memory: The Origins of Alien” in which it talks about how Dan O’Bannon, the writer of Alien, was working on Dune with Jodorowsky, and when that fell through he dedicated himself to finishing the Alien story.  Fortunately. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

There is an Alien documentary called “Memory: The Origins of Alien” in which it talks about how Dan O’Bannon, the writer of Alien, was working on Dune with Jodorowsky, and when that fell through he dedicated himself to finishing the Alien story.  Fortunately. 

It seems like all my favorite sci-fi franchises broke off from that...

Was Indiana Jones somehow related? Lol

Predator?

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It seems like all my favorite sci-fi franchises broke off from that...

Was Indiana Jones somehow related? Lol

Predator?

Yeah, Alien is the best sci-fi horror it’s not even close. Greatest monster ever. 

The whole cuisknack paderack plot was hilarious. I kept thinking "what's in the boxxx!"

I also find it funny that duncan idaho is a meme. Not sure if it was intentional but the names were distracting. Definitely need subtitles for some of the dialogue. Heard it supposed to be half arabic.

I was on the fence until the close-up of the mouse sweating through its ears. They should have cut at least an hour from the movie.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

I've read a couple folks compare it to Blade Runner 2049.

Would you guys consider that either accurate or fair?

Yes. Absolutely.

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

How is the book series?  

I normally read series of books and Dune has always been on the list at some point.  

Is it an easy read throughout, even with the sci fi and the hallucinogenic stuff?  Also the change in authors?

I really loved the books, been considering reading them again. The first one is especially. The story spans thousands of years and starts getting pretty bizarre by the 4th book, but it stays interesting.

I always viewed it as a series of works on political philosophy. Roles of religion, military strength, natural resources, powerful corporations, etc. 

Dune (2021) was spectacular for two reasons, imo:

1.  visuals visuals visuals.  movie is breathtaking in terms of its scenery and cinematography

2.  stays true to the novel

12 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

How is the book series?  

I normally read series of books and Dune has always been on the list at some point.  

Is it an easy read throughout, even with the sci fi and the hallucinogenic stuff?  Also the change in authors?

I can't say that I've read all of the books, but I have read the first two and considered reading more.  The first two were pretty good, but if you read reviews for the ones past the two, the series changes drastically for the worse (in most people's opinions). 

I'm not sure I would say that it is an "easy" read per se.  Herbert tends to go into detail with regards to a lot of the ecology/science.  But if you can make it through that, then you will probably find the first two books to be worth your time

5 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Dune (2021) was spectacular for two reasons, imo:

1.  visuals visuals visuals.  movie is breathtaking in terms of its scenery and cinematography

2.  stays true to the novel

I can't say that I've read all of the books, but I have read the first two and considered reading more.  The first two were pretty good, but if you read reviews for the ones past the two, the series changes drastically for the worse (in most people's opinions). 

I'm not sure I would say that it is an "easy" read per se.  Herbert tends to go into detail with regards to a lot of the ecology/science.  But if you can make it through that, then you will probably find the first two books to be worth your time

I read the 6 he wrote, not the many that followed and yes, goes off a cliff after about the first two books. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Event Horizon is comparable in sci fi horror, I think. Only spawned that one movie, though.

I liked EH.  The scenes with the former crew tearing themselves apart are unsettling, to say the least.

13 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The whole cuisknack paderack plot was hilarious. I kept thinking "what's in the boxxx!"

I also find it funny that duncan idaho is a meme. Not sure if it was intentional but the names were distracting. Definitely need subtitles for some of the dialogue. Heard it supposed to be half arabic.

I was on the fence until the close-up of the mouse sweating through its ears. They should have cut at least an hour from the movie.

Yeah, a character named "Duncan Idaho" sounds like Herbert made a bet with someone that he would use a name like that in a sci-fi novel and had to follow through.  And I always watch things with subtitles.  It's a little distracting but you know what they're saying.

As for the Kwisatz Haderach, it's a common device ("The One").  The box was trying to test how much of "The One" he is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.