Dune

Doc

2 hours ago, Doc said:

As for the Kwisatz Haderach, it's a common device ("The One").  The box was trying to test how much of "The One" he is.

Trials by pain or combat (both used), is quite possibly one of the stupidest methods to test for leadership ever concieved(black panther), it will put someone big and dumb like Gronk in charge.

If he had used the box to beat the reverend mother over the head, that would have proved his worth more.

26 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Trials by pain or combat (both used), is quite possibly one of the stupidest methods to test for leadership ever concieved(black panther), it will put someone big and dumb like Gronk in charge.

If he had used the box to beat the reverend mother over the head, that would have proved his worth more.

I didn't see it as a test for leadership but as one (possibly of many, couldn't tell you) test for being The One.  

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

I didn't see it as a test for leadership but as one (possibly of many, couldn't tell you) test for being The One.  

29 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Isn't that the same thing?

I guess it could be "the one who can keep their hand in the box."

She explained it to him in the movie. It was a test to see if he had control over his impulses. 

To your point about Gronk, I don't think he would pass that test.

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

She explained it to him in the movie. It was a test to see if he had control over his impulses. 

To your point about Gronk, I don't think he would pass that test.

LIke the emperor tempting Luke with his Lightsaber. I get it. It's still a stupid test.

It would make more sense if she didn't also threaten him with death. It's much harder to check your impulses if the consequences are minor.

How about yawning? She could yawn and if he yawns too then he failed! Brilliant!

Edited by unbillievable

8 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

LIke the emperor tempting Luke with his Lightsaber. I get it. It's still a stupid test.

It would make more sense if she didn't also threaten him with death. It's much harder to check your impulses if the consequences are minor.

How about yawning? She could yawn and if he yawns too then he failed! Brilliant!

He might think she's bluffing or that he can pull his hand out and get away. When your hand feels like it's burning to a crisp (in this case it literally feels like that), you'll react on impulse. I would say that's a serious test.

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He might think she's bluffing or that he can pull his hand out and get away. When your hand feels like it's burning to a crisp (in this case it literally feels like that), you'll react on impulse. I would say that's a serious test.

Yawning is still a better test.

An organization that is hundreds (thousands?) of years old should have a less ridiculous test. Also, no mystery box needed.

I just thought of something.... why not use the VOICE as a test? Isn't the point about controlling one's mind?

The paderack should be able to resist the voice. It only works on the weak-minded, like storm troopers.

Also would make sense that the "chosen one" shouldn't be susceptible to random old lady's screeches.

Edited by unbillievable

7 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Yawning is still a better test.

An organization that is hundreds (thousands?) of years old should have a less ridiculous test. Also, no mystery box needed.

I just thought of something.... why not use the VOICE as a test? Isn't the point about controlling one's mind?

The paderack should be able to resist the voice. It only works on the weak-minded, like storm troopers.

I think the real test is to not respond to @unbillievable's posts anymore

Timothee Chalamet Truth GIF by Regal

On 10/25/2021 at 7:02 PM, unbillievable said:

It also needs for the cast and crew to be scheduled, signed, and available.

It doesn't even have a script yet.

Already talk that they're going to do a time jump and focus on Zendaya as the lead in the sequel. Probably change in writers and director.

Most people don't even know this movie is out in theaters.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, LeGOATski said:

I think this whole post is incorrect except for the Zendaya part

TRUTH

how long did you pause here??

dune7.jpg

Oh I watched it on HBO MAX

😆

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

So far it's made $223.2M worldwide.  Part 2 will come out in 2023.  I'd say it was a mistake not making both films together for timing/cost sake.  I think waiting over a year for the sequel might hurt the 2nd movie.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, unbillievable said:

Not really if the test is to see if you can keep your impulses in check if you have to and want an accurate result. If the consequences are minor he could just brush it off and react.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:19 PM, unbillievable said:

Then wouldn't that only prove he wasn't weak minded not anything else?

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Not really if the test is to see if you can keep your impulses in check if you have to and want an accurate result. If the consequences are minor he could just brush it off and react.

Then wouldn't that only prove he wasn't weak minded not anything else?

Its much harder to do something when you don't have to vs when you need to... the real test of character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Not that it was mentioned in the movie, but what were they trying to prove? I might be wrong, but are they just trying to make a male nun?

Edited by unbillievable

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

Its much harder to do something when you don't have to vs when you need to... the real test of character is the right thing when no one is looking.

Not that it was mentioned in the movie, but what were they trying to prove? I might be wrong, but are they just trying to make a male nun?

I'm sure movie audiences would have really enjoyed waiting to see if Paul returned his shopping cart to the corral or just left it in the adjacent parking spot to float around aimlessly and ding cars.  Much better than a pain box and a poison dart held to his neck.

Just shut up already!

14 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Its much harder to do something when you don't have to vs when you need to... the real test of character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

You're missing the point it isn't a question of if he can do it if randomly asked, but can he do it at all. Also "do the right thing when no one is looking" how does that even apply here this wasn't a moral question.

As to what the actual test proves, I'd say it proves he could keep his head on straight and and do what he needed to do despite extreme distractions.

Edited by Warcodered

19 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm sure movie audiences would have really enjoyed waiting to see if Paul returned his shopping cart to the corral or just left it in the adjacent parking spot to float around aimlessly and ding cars.  Much better than a pain box and a poison dart held to his neck.

Just shut up already!

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You're missing the point it isn't a question of if he can do it if randomly asked, but can he do it at all. Also "do the right thing when no one is looking" how does that even apply here this wasn't a moral question.

As to what the actual test proves, I'd say it proves he could keep his head on straight and and do what he needed to do despite extreme distractions.

You both have failed the test.

Animals.

I've seen the original.  It's a HORRIBLE movie.

HBO is playing the heck out of it now, and has been doing so for the past few months.

The commercials for the new one look better, but it also looks like a different movie.

I have wondered how much the new movie deviates from the book.

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I've seen the original.  It's a HORRIBLE movie.

I love Dune and have never watched the entire original. It was terrible. One of the widest gaps of good book to bad movie ever. 

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

HBO is playing the heck out of it now, and has been doing so for the past few months.

The commercials for the new one look better, but it also looks like a different movie.

I have wondered how much the new movie deviates from the book.

I have read the books and saw the movie. Not much deviation on anything that matters. The biggest deviations, if you want to call them that, are sidelining some of the background and certain characters. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, Jauronimo said:

You didn't notice a conflict? Not even a little one?

I’m aware the entire story is based around conflicts. I should’ve said fights or more action sequences, thought I’d see a bit more razzle dazzle I guess. I keep hearing the next one will really ramp it up in the action department. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

hello all...well Im not a big sci fi buff but hubby is so Ive seen both the original Dune with kyle MacLaghlan, score by Brian Eno I thought it was campy cool I liked the bulging spice worm images..

we saw the new Dune movie in theater, IMAX screen wouldnt calibrate so they gave us ticket in these new type seats where the jerk you ll around blow air rain on you Cheese n crackers I was out of there in 2 minutes I Hated it.......went to no frills showing and enjoyed it but for myself and not being as invested as others in the plot twits etc I thought it could have been shorter length and not impacted the films ultimate story...jmo. I liked seeing into the spice worm, technically it was very intricately done I thought.

m

I saw Dune last night. I don't know anything of the source material so I can't say for sure where the movie is going. But Part 1 on it's own was pretty lame IMO. I understand it's just Part 1, and maybe the pay off in Part 2 will be great, but aside from the cool visuals and sound editing, there wasn't much there. It seemed like the entire Part 1 essentially existed just to build up the characters for Part 2, but I left feeling like none of the characters were really worth caring about. I'll still see Part 2 because I like the genre in general and I'm curious to see how it all ends, but I feel like Part 2 will have to really blow me away to ever have interest in seeing Part 1 again.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I saw Dune last night. I don't know anything of the source material so I can't say for sure where the movie is going. But Part 1 on it's own was pretty lame IMO. I understand it's just Part 1, but and maybe the pay off in Part 2 will be great, but aside from the cool visuals and sound editing, there wasn't much there. It seemed like the entire Part 1 essentially existed just to build up the characters for Part 2, but I left feeling like none of the characters were really worth caring about. I'll still see Part 2 because I like the genre in general and I'm curious to see how it all ends, but I feel like Part 2 will have to really blow me away to ever have interest in seeing Part 1 again.

I assume the same director will do part 2 and they won't be discombobulated like the latest star wars trilogy was. So they should mesh well, at least. That doesn't mean you'll get the payoff you want, but the story is definitely leading to a showdown with the emperor. Part 2 should be a bigger scale and I'm hoping includes some weirder stuff. One of the biggest gripes for me was that the world felt a little too familiar.

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:32 PM, Sundancer said:

250 million opening weekend tracking to 500. They will make a sequel with that. 

It doesn’t have campy robots or jokey dialog. Not that kind of story. 

I loved it. Totally get that its appeal is going to be more limited without Ewoks, gore, or superheroes but it is by far the best adaptation yet. 5 stars for me. Hope they can get through a couple books but if they just do this and give it legs for HBO series, it’s a win. 

The story centers on a hallucinogen so it’s not exactly easy. 

Just took a bunch of spice and finally watched it.

image.png.c790e1eba85cacb112a12cd5086ef57b.png

It was significantly better than I was expecting. 🤙🤙🤙

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.