SNF: Colts at 49ers

YoloinOhio

This is NOT a “bash Collinsworth” post but I continue to find it curious how he praises certain quarterbacks while never quite giving others their due.  The amount of praise being heaped upon Wentz last night in the time I watched the game was odd, and as I posted up thread, on one particular drive Wentz threw three passes that should have been intercepted before finally making that bonehead shot put throw.  Was the weather a factor?  Sure, but I don’t see a guy who is playing at a high level.  I do commend Indy for righting the ship after the 0-3 start, and let’s face it, they should have finished the job in Baltimore also.  They’re a tough team and I hope they knock off Tennessee next week.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

This is NOT a “bash Collinsworth” post but I continue to find it curious how he praises certain quarterbacks while never quite giving others their due.  The amount of praise being heaped upon Wentz last night in the time I watched the game was odd, and as I posted up thread, on one particular drive Wentz threw three passes that should have been intercepted before finally making that bonehead shot put throw.  Was the weather a factor?  Sure, but I don’t see a guy who is playing at a high level.  I do commend Indy for righting the ship after the 0-3 start, and let’s face it, they should have finished the job in Baltimore also.  They’re a tough team and I hope they knock off Tennessee next week.

They will need to knock a good team or two off somewhere if they still hope to make the playoffs. Tennessee, Tampa, Buffalo, Vegas, Cardinals. If they lose all 5 they are dead. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They will need to knock a good team or two off somewhere if they still hope to make the playoffs. Tennessee, Tampa, Buffalo, Vegas, Cardinals. If they lose all 5 they are dead. 

Yeah, good point.  8-9 is not getting it done.

55 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, good point.  8-9 is not getting it done.

not sure 9-8 will either. If we take Buff, Bal, Ten and LAC as the division winners..... that leaves Cin, Cle, LV, KC, Ind and possibly Pit and possibly NE (although I need to see them beat some teams that are not the Jets and Texans before I consider them properly in the race) in the mix for the three wildcards. Going to be a crowded field. It is nice not having to root against 5 different teams each week in that race these days. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, stevewin said:

Al just said not a bad turnout considering rain - looked half empty

I moved to the SF area in 95 at this time of year, the start of the rainy season.  Went to the supermarket for the first time on a day like yesterday.  Walked in and the store was empty, I mean there were maybe 6 of us customers in there. Asked the girl at the register where the hell was everybody? She says "It's raining". I replied so what. I surprised they had half the stadium.

3 hours ago, eball said:

That shovel pass.....

I think there is "confirmation bias" at play - Collinsworth, like others, has his POV and more readily sees (and comments on) events that confirm it.

I also believe there is a pre-determined "media narrative" about the game and what the announcers say at times is part of the script they are given for the game.  Sometimes I think they say ridiculous stuff they seem uncomfortable saying because it's part of the script

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Shanahan being a young genius is wearing off right?

He’s done a good job putting together offenses w/ the pieces Lynch provides imo. If anyone should be blamed it’s the GM…Garoppolo was a bill of goods and even if he wasn’t no team is going to be good when your starting QB is never healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He’s done a good job putting together offenses w/ the pieces Lynch provides imo. If anyone should be blamed it’s the GM…Garoppolo was a bill of goods and even if he wasn’t no team is going to be good when your starting QB is never healthy.

Agree with that although he does have a healthy amount of influence over personnel. For someone who is as good of a coordinator as him to have 1 top 10 offense in 5 years is a disappointment.

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with that although he does have a healthy amount of influence over personnel. For someone who is as good of a coordinator as him to have 1 top 10 offense in 5 years is a disappointment.

Yeh and every team deals w injuries…still I think Shanahan can point to the one year his starting QB wasn’t hurt they make the Super Bowl. I don’t think he’s in any immediate danger tbh

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeh and every team deals w injuries…still I think Shanahan can point to the one year his starting QB wasn’t hurt they make the Super Bowl. I don’t think he’s in any immediate danger tbh

I suspect you are right and he gets another year. But he is in win or bust mode in 2022.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I guess the new saying is the most important "ability" for a QB is unbelievability as the 49ers passed on taking a certain QB whose name rhymes with Latrick Fahomes early in the 2017 draft (3rd pick overall), but decided to take a DE instead (traded earlier for Jimmy).

Honestly, though, why are the Bills the only team that ever takes heat for not drafting Mahomes?!

Such BS.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I guess the new saying is the most important "ability" for a QB is unbelievability as the 49ers passed on taking a certain QB whose name rhymes with Latrick Fahomes early in the 2017 draft (3rd pick overall), but decided to take a DE instead (traded earlier for Jimmy).

Honestly, though, why are the Bills the only team that every takes heat for not drafting Mahomes?!

Such BS.

I am guessing you are not a frequenter of Chicago Bears fan boards.

• Haha (+1) 1

This Colts team is hitting their stride and will be a tough matchup when they play the Bills next month.

In fact if they beat the Titans this week at home which I expect to happen, good chance they'll be 6-4 and riding a 5 game win streak into the game @ Buffalo.

So this could be another good measuring stick game against a physical team that almost ended the Bills playoff run prematurely last year which is also going to be added motivation for them, albeit with a completely different QB situation.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I suspect you are right and he gets another year. But he is in win or bust mode in 2022.

They have a very tough schedule the rest of the way. They could easily go 6-11. 

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

This Colts team is hitting their stride and will be a tough matchup when they play the Bills next month.

In fact if they beat the Titans this week at home which I expect to happen, good chance they'll be 6-4 and riding a 5 game win streak into the game @ Buffalo.

So this could be another good measuring stick game against a physical team that almost ended the Bills playoff run prematurely last year which is also going to be added motivation for them, albeit with a completely different QB situation.

Wentz is looking good now; as good as Rivers was last year. He is a different player than the guy who was awful for Philly last season. He has a rating of 102.8 and the lowest INT rate in the league.

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.