Members of Congress fear Gruden’s emails are the tip of the iceberg.

BuffaloBills1998

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If I was a betting man, I would bet that many members of Congress have emails laced with the same language in their outbox as well.

I could probably name a few of them. But they aren't too shy about saying what they think in public either.

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

LOL. That some aren't Congress. And why should Congress be involved anyway?

Because Congress has control over the NFL's antitrust position that is very beneficial to the NFL.   I'm guessing if racism, bigotry, misogyny ... blackballing players like Kaep... , are a normal part of how the league operates, Congress may decide to revisit any laws that are beneficial to enterprises like the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

What is there to fear exactly?

Exactly? The law exempts the NFL from taxes. More specifically, 26 USC 501 exempts the NFL from taxes. A snippet from the section on who is not to be taxed:

(6) Business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, boards of trade, or professional football leagues (whether or not administering a pension fund for football players), not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

If the NFL gets stuck in some kind of Gruden-gate, there could be a public backlash to make them taxable again. Which actually makes sense to me.

• Like (+1) 2

No sleaze left uncovered, no secrets anymore none zippo NONE. Hang on to yer chonies Gentleman and Ladies  Im telling you it seems like these

public figures example Gruden....highly successful in his field both as a coach and commentator... his proficiency matters little when your dirty laundry

comes out and people see the kind of person you are....sorry chuckie in 2021 that chit just does Not Fly...if you're a sexual

deviant GOODBYE GO TO JAIL....if you're a guy who used inappropriate verbage in messages and it causes revulsion Youre Fired.

Life as we know it 2021.

yep.

Edited by Muppy

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Because Congress has control over the NFL's antitrust position that is very beneficial to the NFL.   I'm guessing if racism, bigotry, misogyny ... blackballing players like Kaep... , are a normal part of how the league operates, Congress may decide to revisit any laws that are beneficial to enterprises like the NFL.

Are they a normal part of the way the league operates?

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

A big portion of the NFL feels so dirty at this point, between players, coaches, owners and the whole system. I hope the Bills can keep their feet clean, at least.

I'm all for a new league. It's just almost impossible to get one off the ground.

If it feels that dirty to you why do you follow it?

• Eyeroll 2

I’m trying to decide if arrogance or stupidity rules the day here. It’s both to some degree, but WTF/WFT (and the rest)!  I have NEVER worked in an environment where you would put these kinds of things in writing and on the permanent record. Even if you were a terrible person who believed this stuff, who in their right mind would think it’s a good idea to document it for others to find???  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I definitely think he does. Actually I'd be willing to bet any owner that has been around for a minute has dirt on others.

The NFL wants Snyder gone regardless, they basically have to make a sweetheart deal to him so he sells it and walks away with burning the building on the way out.

IMO of course. 

not sure on that one... been in DC area 30+ years and if there's one thing Snyder loves it is his beloved childhood team.   Plus I believe it's all he has, don't think he will let it go.  It's not like he has other Biz interests of any import, the 'skins are it.   The league will stop well short of forcing a sale (not sure they can do that anyway without a ton of evidence) as he has dirt on them as well.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Constant protection from any and all forms of competition, and cost savings,  ie; government cooperation in stadium building etc, this alone reflects billions of dollars…, 

Competition has come and gone.  I doubt the owners fear that at all.  The actions of some bigots working in an organization won't provide the legal impetus to destroy that organization.  If it would, no large organization in any walk of life would be able to survive.  There are cases of this kind of horrible behavior in many places.  What the owners fear is having their fans walk away from the game, sponsors dropping their business with the NFL, and TV companies not renewing future contracts.  If I see this happening, I'll be surprised.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Klos, I dont know if it is common place, but any reference where condoned is not a good look for the league, not to mention the favored tax position the NFL has with the Feds.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He most likely does, I’m sure most of the dirt is on Goodell. I doubt the NFL forces Snyder to sell his team, they know that Snyder has them by the balls and Snyder definitely looks like the type that would get a kick out of giving the NFL a major black eye that they may never recover from. The classic case of, if I go down then I’m taking you all with me.

Whatever corruption that’s going on and whatever Jon knows. If Jon knows info that can put the NFL in a lot of trouble then that’s a pretty good cause to fear/worry

I'd be surprised if Jon has much of the real dirt other owners are worried about.  He's just a small part of this, admittedly as a coach much more visible part of this sop he went down fast.  Unless of course Mark Davis spilled the beans to him about a ton of stuff he shouldn't have told him as I'm sure daddy Al had plenty of secrets to share. 

Also what would Jon gain by spilling the beans as if he did, his future in football would be completely dead.  And yes right now he doesn't have a future, but have seen many other situations where forgiveness comes and he's back in good graces.  He goes off and takes some sensitivity training, hold hands and sings Kum-By-Ka and is back in a half dozen years in some capacity without much visibility.  Whereas Snyder's only desire is to own a team.  If he were forced to sell, he knows he's not going to get another chance to buy a team back, so for him nothing to lose by burning everything down.

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'd be surprised if Jon has much of the real dirt other owners are worried about.  He's just a small part of this, admittedly as a coach much more visible part of this sop he went down fast.  Unless of course Mark Davis spilled the beans to him about a ton of stuff he shouldn't have told him as I'm sure daddy Al had plenty of secrets to share. 

Also what would Jon gain by spilling the beans as if he did, his future in football would be completely dead.  And yes right now he doesn't have a future, but have seen many other situations where forgiveness comes and he's back in good graces.  He goes off and takes some sensitivity training, hold hands and sings Kum-By-Ka and is back in a half dozen years in some capacity without much visibility.  Whereas Snyder's only desire is to own a team.  If he were forced to sell, he knows he's not going to get another chance to buy a team back, so for him nothing to lose by burning everything down.

His football career either on the field or on TV is already dead. At this point and time he’s really got nothing left to lose

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  As the article points out "The Washington Football Team and the NFL enjoy special privileges under our antitrust laws,” Krishnamoorthi told Keim. “We thought it was important to get to the bottom of what’s going on in the NFL, in regards to the Washington Football Team in the way they handled their employees."

How would 650,000 racially insensitive and sexist emails and more details about a well reported history of bad behavior on the part of at least 1 employer (WFT) put the antitrust protection status of the NFL at risk?  

Didn't these politicians showboat this same hollow threat during the whole videogate scandal and even the  CTE scandal (when players were injured/dying)?  What ever happened to all that?  

He's taking his millions and going away for good how much u wanna bet.....

as far as Im concerned Jon Gruden is retired and off my radar which is where he belongs. He's not a Bill, an ex Bill and frankly he and his elevator sneakers can go take a hike. See ya won't miss ya. SMH What a waste of football acumen. If he was from a different era this would not even be out in the light of day though. Harder to prove unrecorded phone conversations eh mates..

My own dad was a bigot. I can smell my own. Its a reality of our country and its ugly. Go away Jon you are detracting from human civility.

Raiders are my 2nd fav NFL team. It gives me no pleasure this debacle. None. SMH

jmo 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.