The Turning Point In the Monday Night game For Me

wagne591

To me the turning point in the game was in the forth quarter after the Titans kicked a FG which made the score BUF 31 TENN 27. At that point the Bills were in control and poor play calling and decisions by Allen were our heal.  The Bills got the ball and after a first down to Diggs it set up a 1st and 10 at the Bills 37 yard line with 8:59 left on the game clock.  Now at this point in the game with a 4 point lead a FG drive would have worked but a TD would have put it away. Instead what do the Bills do.  On first down Allen was trying to go deep but instead gets sacks for a 7 yard loss (he did have Sweeney wide open to his right side which probably would have been a 6 to 8 yard gain on 1st down instead it was 2nd and 17). On second down with 8:38 left in the game Allen goes deep again and throws into double coverage for Sanders in the middle of the field luckily it feel incomplete. On 3rd and 17 with 8:14 left on the clock we had to go deep and Allen threw it out of bounds to Jake.  At that point we still had the lead but it felt to me like we loss the game.  Unlike our drive last week against the Chiefs in a similar situation we had a great time consuming drive to win the game. 

I don't know how we could have corrected that..and I am not mad at Josh...I love that dude...he is must see TV when he is playing.  And I like what McDermott called at the end of the game by not going for the FG and putting it on the line but the Bills had three time outs going into the start of that drive.  I don't know who manages the TO's and I hope JA has some say in when they can take some after surveying the field but at that point maybe a TO could have been useful to clear the head and make sure everyone was on the right page first downs move the ball down field.  The Titans weren't going to let us beat them deep and the underneath stuff was there that drive and I don't know why the Bills were trying to beat them with a long ball when the short passes with about 6 first downs moving down the field would have even taken the winds out of their sails also.  Sorry for the long write up.   

• Like (+1) 9
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

To me the turning point in the game was in the forth quarter after the Titans kicked a FG which made the score BUF 31 TENN 27. At that point the Bills were in control and poor play calling and decisions by Allen were our heal.  The Bills got the ball and after a first down to Diggs it set up a 1st and 10 at the Bills 37 yard line with 8:59 left on the game clock.  Now at this point in the game with a 4 point lead a FG drive would have worked but a TD would have put it away. Instead what do the Bills do.  On first down Allen was trying to go deep but instead gets sacks for a 7 yard loss (he did have Sweeney wide open to his right side which probably would have been a 6 to 8 yard gain on 1st down instead it was 2nd and 17). On second down with 8:38 left in the game Allen goes deep again and throws into double coverage for Sanders in the middle of the field luckily it feel incomplete. On 3rd and 17 with 8:14 left on the clock we had to go deep and Allen threw it out of bounds to Jake.  At that point we still had the lead but it felt to me like we loss the game.  Unlike our drive last week against the Chiefs in a similar situation we had a great time consuming drive to win the game. 

I don't know how we could have corrected that..and I am not mad at Josh...I love that dude...he is must see TV when he is playing.  And I like what McDermott called at the end of the game by not going for the FG and putting it on the line but the Bills had three time outs going into the start of that drive.  I don't know who manages the TO's and I hope JA has some say in when they can take some after surveying the field but at that point maybe a TO could have been useful to clear the head and make sure everyone was on the right page first downs move the ball down field.  The Titans weren't going to let us beat them deep and the underneath stuff was there that drive and I don't know why the Bills were trying to beat them with a long ball when the short passes with about 6 first downs moving down the field would have even taken the winds out of their sails also.  Sorry for the long write up.   

Sack play was def on him he thought he had davis deep on a double move for the dagger to end the game and the free safety adjusted late to take it away...I'll defend the throw to sanders though he was doubled initially and beat both guys.  We kind of lose perspective in a loss theres a lot of times allen is taking these deep shots when there's underneath stuff open and we connect and he wins us the game too 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

They had three backup DBs out there. It’s a good strategy. Try to get another DPI or hit someone deep. We’ve been doing it all year. I can’t fault them for taking shots against a majorly inferior secondary. 

People say this as though stats going into the game matter. In the game, they kept 2 safeties deep the whole game to protect their CBs, it’s not like they were on islands. Going deep 3x in a row was dumb considering this, when all game Beas, the RBs, and TEs were open 5-15 yards downfield. You keep taking that until they stop you.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The turning point for me was after we took a 6 - 0 lead and seemed to be gaining control of the game the D gave up a 76 yard run up the gut after the KO.  In one stroke the Titans were revitalized, Frazier's defensive game plan crumbled and the play action pass became credible. That one run set up the Titans offense for the rest of the game.  IMO it turned what should have been a workmanlike 2 score Bills win into a track meet that we barley lost.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

Either you're really Joe Buscaglia or you read his story in the Athletic and basically posted what he said as this was pretty much his big point in what cost the Bills the game.   LOL

The title of his article was:

Did Josh Allen’s brief lapse in judgment cost Buffalo a win?

Do also feel not getting TD's on those first two drives was big too.  Without the penalty on Sanders a TD by Knox

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Either you're really Joe Buscaglia or you read his story in the Athletic and basically posted what he said as this was pretty much his big point in what cost the Bills the game.   LOL

The title of his article was:

Did Josh Allen’s brief lapse in judgment cost Buffalo a win?

Do also feel not getting TD's on those first two drives was big too.  Without the penalty on Sanders a TD by Knox

What drives me crazy about this line of thinking is just how lazy and misleading it is. Sure that drive sucked but within the context of the entire game it wasn't even in my top 5 moments of what cost us the game.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, wagne591 said:

I completely disagree.  For the the obvious turning point was Henry’s 76 yard TD to go ahead 7-6.  The Bills dominated for the first two drives that stalled in the redzone.  All they had to show was a 1 point deficit.  

After that run the pressure stopped and Tannheill played considerably better.

Sweeney WAS wide open on that play. We were screaming at the TV live. I hope he just didn't see him cuz that was the obvious play to make. That sequence reminded me of dumb malarkey "going for the jugular" instead of working the clock and methodically going down the field to hopefully score (but at the very least burning clock and their timeouts maybe). Just cuz they had injuries doesn't mean you HAD TO throw so deep. 5-10 yard passes would have been more prudent there. 

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I completely disagree.  For the the obvious turning point was Henry’s 76 yard TD to go ahead 7-6.  The Bills dominated for the first two drives that stalled in the redzone.  All they had to show was a 1 point deficit.  

After that run the pressure stopped and Tannheill played considerably better.

Yup.  We adjusted to keep LBs closer to line and it opened up the middle of the field. 

Threads galore on why we lost the game.

Find me a team that wins a game that lets the opposing team score on 6 straight drives from the 2nd half to the final kneel down. The Bills D was not up to the task, you can't let an opposing team score pts very single drive in the 2nd half on and expect to win.

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Sack play was def on him he thought he had davis deep on a double move for the dagger to end the game and the free safety adjusted late to take it away...I'll defend the throw to sanders though he was doubled initially and beat both guys.  We kind of lose perspective in a loss theres a lot of times allen is taking these deep shots when there's underneath stuff open and we connect and he wins us the game too 

I think situationally the Sanders throw was a mistake. It looked very much to me as if he came off a shorter pass to go long. I think you have to know there we need to move the chains. I thought Josh got greedy on that drive.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think their is one particular moment when this game was lost. It was a combination of things.

Defense...couldn't get a big stop as the Titans scored on every drive in the 2nd half.

Offense....poor night in the red zone. Settling for FG's instead of getting TD's

Penalties....wiped out TD's

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

It was a big drive.  I don’t think there was ever a “turning point”.  The game tied the record for most lead changes on a mnf game and the ended with a GW goal line stop.  They played tough and had a great game plan on O.  

Josh didn’t take what the defense was giving him on that drive and we paid the price

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Sweeney WAS wide open on that play. We were screaming at the TV live. I hope he just didn't see him cuz that was the obvious play to make. That sequence reminded me of dumb malarkey "going for the jugular" instead of working the clock and methodically going down the field to hopefully score (but at the very least burning clock and their timeouts maybe). Just cuz they had injuries doesn't mean you HAD TO throw so deep. 5-10 yard passes would have been more prudent there. 

I didn’t have a problem with this.  Throw like these are what makes Josh Allen…Josh Allen.  

If the defense actually holds Tennessee without a score one time, this point is completely moot and the Bills get the W

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.