Sean McDermott is just killing it

Simon

1 minute ago, Bimmer323i said:

According to Nick Wright the Chargers  are the best team in the afc they have better coach and the better qb…. Just totally laughable….

While I don't agree with Nick, why is this "laughable"? Herbert is a complete stud and is just killing it. Staley is doing a fabulous job as a HC, IMO. I didn't even know who the heck he was when he was hired. But it's hard to fault what he has done with that team. The Chargers are right there with the Bills for being best in the AFC, at the moment.

I think it's clear that, as of today, Josh and McD are pacing ahead of the Chargers unit. And they have a year of success in front of them. But the take isn't "laughable".  What is laughable is paying ANY attention whatsoever to Nick Nobody.  But even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, BigBuff423 said:

I have neither the brass ones to do it, nor the technical acumen, but someone should resurrect the Sean McDermott Hired as Bills HC thread from 2017 and see how those troves of information are living now....also, I remember some Brandon Beane slander when he traded Darby and Watkins....not to mention Cordy Glenn. 

I also don’t know how to do it but I started my most successful ( page number wise) thread titled something like “ Do you trust McBeane” right after they unloaded Sammy.

Would be interesting to see how everyone’s takes look now.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Not sure I agree. My guess is they work very closely together on any hire/pickup. I'm thinking McDermott is way to involved in the day-to-day coaching of the team to keep close track of who is probably available, who is up and coming, etc. That is technically Beane's job as GM. I'm not suggesting Beane would hire something without McDermott's buy in. But I can't imagine McDermott hiring someone without Beane's input. Just doesn't make sense, in such a well oiled management system.

Certainly where player acquisition is concerned thats Beane's call with input from the coaching staff led by McD.  Just like Sean would have no input when Beane needs to tweak his accouning staff that  deals with cap ramifications.  When its a coaching hire and coordinators in particular  the HC gets the call unless he's incompetent and the dynamic between HC an

GM is totally different than the working relationship between McD and Beane.   

McD might ask Beane opinion on possible replacements but McDermott  is detail oriented he has a rolodex with all his various coaching contacts.  If either coordinator gets hired away you can bet calls would be coming in asking about the vacancy asking to interview for it.  It would occur after the SB and thered be plenty of time for Sean to go thru the calls and his own personal  coaching contacts to make up a short list of candidate to interview.

Edited by AuntieEm

20 minutes ago, The Dean said:

While I don't agree with Nick, why is this "laughable"? Herbert is a complete stud and is just killing it. Staley is doing a fabulous job as a HC, IMO. I didn't even know who the heck he was when he was hired. But it's hard to fault what he has done with that team. The Chargers are right there with the Bills for being best in the AFC, at the moment.

I think it's clear that, as of today, Josh and McD are pacing ahead of the Chargers unit. And they have a year of success in front of them. But the take isn't "laughable".  What is laughable is paying ANY attention whatsoever to Nick Nobody.  But even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.

It's not laughable that the Chargers are good. It's laughable that Nick Wright has to always crap on the Bills.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Certainly where player acquisition is concerned thats Beane's call with input from the coaching staff led by McD.  Just like Sean would have no input when Beane needs to tweak his accouning staff that  deals with cap ramifications.  When its a coaching hire and coordinators in particular  the HC gets the call unless he's incompetent and the dynamic between HC an

GM is totally different than the working relationship between McD and Beane.   

McD might ask Beane opinion on possible replacements but McDermott  is detail oriented he has a rolodex with all his various coaching contacts.  If either coordinator gets hired away you can bet calls would be coming in asking about the vacancy asking to interview for it.  It would occur after the SB and thered be plenty of time for Sean to go thru the calls and his own personal  coaching contacts to make up a short list of candidate to interview.

See, this is where I hope the Bills FO is much better than many. You have to go BEYOND your own contacts, if you want to get the best. That's where Beane will come in handy.

28 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Being that they are at least a year behind us developmentally speaking, it is a laugher in that NW is clutching at straws as is usual for him,  I’m not saying one should take them lightly, it’s just that they aren’t on the same level yet, or at least that’s my hope. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

39 minutes ago, The Dean said:

See, this is where I hope the Bills FO is much better than many. You have to go BEYOND your own contacts, if you want to get the best. That's where Beane will come in handy.

Oh I am sure they probably know most of the same people it is after all a somewhat exclusive club being a NFL HC.  It's why most staffs are filled with coaches that HC has had previous employment with somewhere in his past. If they lose Leslie and say Wft cans Rivera I don't think he's on hot seat but if he was let go I could see thm both discussing hiring Rivera as new DC. 

.      And certainly  if Beane knows of a candidate that he feels would fit he could suggest an interview with that person.  But coaching is not Beanes responsibility or where his expertise is. 

.      Beane is more of a bean counter and probably has a decent knowledge of contract terms but I bet he doesn't insist on writing the legal contract himself but let's one of the team lawyers draw up the contract to his specifications. 

.      Beane has never been a coach at any level as far as I know, I'm sure he knows alot more coaching concepts just by the constant exposture and access to picking the brains of coaches in just workplace conversations. 

I could see this scenario...   daboll gets hired as hc McD is putting together his list of successors.  Beane has a few inquiries for position from some bright upcoming college rank oc and it is inquired thru his scouting staff that handles that area.  Beane talks some shop about that coord with the scout and any knowledge he has, might be a coach he's dealt with on scouting trips.  He asks Sean if he'd fit  or at least warrant an interview for oc. 

But Sean has final say over his staff.  He has to work closely with that oc on gameplanning.  I doubt beane ever takes part in gameplanning,   he may listen in and he might throw out a suggestion if he saw a interesting play at a scouting trip but its not like he adds that play to the callsheet Daboll has each week.

I don't even think Beane ever played football, maybe in HS but not at any high level or we'd have stories like we know McD is a champion wrestler.  So all Beanes knowledge is via the fan angle more than  an athletic or coaches viewpoint.  When its x's and o's its McD's call and I don't feel Beane would have any input or even wish to have input in a coaching decision.

.    They have a great working relationship and likely a strong friendship as well. Probably both previously had hoped to work together in future back when they were at Carolina.  McD got hired and pushed for Beane as GM. Could be construed as McD having power over GM as he was instrumental in Beane being hired. Or that has been assumed by most people and never seen any statement to refute that.  But McD isn't overstepping into GM responsibilities. He doesn't need to as they make a great team and they let each other do there jobs trusting the others abilities.  

Its alot like the players being successful when they focus on their job and having trust your teammates do theirs and the play works because one player wasn't trying to do his job as well as anothers.

Edited by AuntieEm

21 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

.      Beane is more of a bean counter

No idea where this comes from. Beane doesn't have an accounting background, from anything I can see. 

Its mind blowing that McD isnt getting any COY love yet.  They have like 3 or 4 coaches talked about as COY, and have yet to see McD mentioned.  Makes no sense.  

Bills #1 offense.  Bills #1 Defense.  Tied for best record in AFC, 2nd in NFL.  Largest point differential in the NFL.  Biggest takeaway margin in NFL.  

I mean come on, whats a guy got to do?  He should have won it last year.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

No idea where this comes from. Beane doesn't have an accounting background, from anything I can see. 

He doesn't have a background in coaching  that I'm aware of, but you seem to feel that he will help choose a coordinator if one needs to be replaced.  As far as I know he never even played football at any high level. Maybe not even hs.   At least I'm fairly certain he holds at least a business degree of some sort which would have required at least a course in basic business accounting.  So he'd have more experience in bean counting  than coaching by that metric.

We know he has done a fabulous job managing the cap whether he  is directly responsible for actually crunching the numbers or just delegating if to his gm advisor who is a known contract wizard from his days of cash to cap limitations.  Does it matter that overdorf still works out contract details and maybe even offers suggestions on how to stagger several contracts so that when needed they can convert a salary to bonus for cap manipulation that gives the team flexibility.  We don't say oh let's not forget to give overdorf his due when he maybe a reason we could keep a Milano without having to dump Star who is an important part of the defenses resurgence. 

If I have a accountant that sends out all the checks to pay my bills doesn't mean the accountant is responsible for my credit score since I  pay my bills using that method.  I just have a paid assistant to actually do the work but I get the credit for the bill being paid.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its mind blowing that McD isnt getting any COY love yet.  They have like 3 or 4 coaches talked about as COY, and have yet to see McD mentioned.  Makes no sense.  

Bills #1 offense.  Bills #1 Defense.  Tied for best record in AFC, 2nd in NFL.  Largest point differential in the NFL.  Biggest takeaway margin in NFL.  

I mean come on, whats a guy got to do?  He should have won it last year.  

Coach of the year always goes to the team that exceeds expectations. The Bills were expected to be good. If the Chargers win the division Brandon Staley is guaranteed to win coach of the year. Not saying it's fair but that's the way it is.

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Coach of the year always goes to the team that exceeds expectations. The Bills were expected to be good. If the Chargers win the division Brandon Staley is guaranteed to win coach of the year. Not saying it's fair but that's the way it is.

Why was it cleveland in 2020 then? Last year i vaguely remember a lot of hype for the Browns in the offseason. McDermott went on to have a better record, won the division, went further in the playoffs...

Is it really about the prior year then?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

He doesn't have a background in coaching  that I'm aware of, but you seem to feel that he will help choose a coordinator if one needs to be replaced.  As far as I know he never even played football at any high level. Maybe not even hs.   At least I'm fairly certain he holds at least a business degree of some sort which would have required at least a course in basic business accounting.  So he'd have more experience in bean counting  than coaching by that metric.

We know he has done a fabulous job managing the cap whether he  is directly responsible for actually crunching the numbers or just delegating if to his gm advisor who is a known contract wizard from his days of cash to cap limitations.  Does it matter that overdorf still works out contract details and maybe even offers suggestions on how to stagger several contracts so that when needed they can convert a salary to bonus for cap manipulation that gives the team flexibility.  We don't say oh let's not forget to give overdorf his due when he maybe a reason we could keep a Milano without having to dump Star who is an important part of the defenses resurgence. 

If I have a accountant that sends out all the checks to pay my bills doesn't mean the accountant is responsible for my credit score since I  pay my bills using that method.  I just have a paid assistant to actually do the work but I get the credit for the bill being paid.

I'm thinking we have some miscommunication here. Maybe we aren't that far apart. Then again, maybe we are.  

As far as I can decipher, the Bills FO is highly collaborative.  I don't believe Bean tells McDermott "We're drafting this guy" or "We're giving this guy this contract" any more than I believe McDermott tells Beane, "I'm hiring this guy as my OC". I simply don't believe this FO works that way.

Beane isn't a financial guy, but the financial guys report to him. He is an excellent manager. When it comes to the bigger deals, I'm sure McDermott and Beane get together. Overdorff might be in the room as might some others, at times.  While Beane may be the ultimate "decider", McD has more than a little say over what gets done. At least that's what I believe.

I'm thinking this is pretty much the same way a coordinator position will be decided. They will, together, look in house. I'm thinking they both will come with ideas. Certainly McDermott will have a list, but Beane might come with some ideas as well. Can you imagine McDermott deciding the next OC/DC without asking Beane if he has any ideas? They will make the decision together in some way. They seem to be very much in sync, anyway. But obviously they won't hire a coordinator that McDermott doesn't support. I doubt they hire one Beane doesn't support, either.

On 10/11/2021 at 2:03 AM, BigDingus said:

As much as the players have improved, so has McDermott. 

Seriously, he hasn't just been the same guy since day one. The man is getting better each year. 

Remember when we kept failing to adjust after half & would blow leads/do nothing at all in the 3rd quarter? It was like we prepared for the first half of football, then took a nap at half time. We ended up in close games that we were otherwise winning, relying on last minute 4th quarter pushes to finally do something.

Now the Bills are also making those adjustments & maintaining their leads, putting up even more points in the 2nd half & not taking their foot off the gas. McDermott has the team prepared & invested. Beautiful thing to watch!

Oh, and let's not forget how good Daboll & Frazier have been either. They too have a huge hand in how well this team is operating at the moment.

Wasn’t it the 1st quarters one year and then 3rd quarters the last two years? I always assumed it was coaching also. We still have slumps in the 3rd but we recover much more quickly.

Edited by Governor

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I’m pretty sure he has sports management and business degrees from UNCW. He attended school there the same time my gf did. I would assume the sports degree has bean counting classes.

Edited by Governor

On 10/11/2021 at 1:03 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The reason I'm depressed as a fan currently is bc Sean McDermott can't last forever.

Jk

Blasphemy I say!  That cheater has been up there for 20 years.  Do I hear 25?  McBeane for LIFE!

All kidding aside, I thought about with the articles on the Raiders, and the guy perfect for that job is Frasier.  We are going to lose these guys eventually anyway.  The Raiders have a solid offense and Carr takes too much crap for being a sound and efficient QB.  He’s no Allen, but you can certainly win with him.  Frasier’s demeanor and poise, not to mention a Dungyesque way about him is perfect for the Raiders.  He could then hand pick his OC.  He probably wouldn’t even make that change mid season.  My point is we have an amazing Head Coach and GM, and one very good sign of senior leadership is developing those under you to take you’re role someday.  It’s a testament to McD as he emulates what “good looks like”.  Both Daboll and Frazier are going to take that with them when they eventually get their opportunities.

BTW- Simon, you remind me of EF Hutton.  When he talks, people listen.  Great post bud.

Edited by machine gun kelly

8 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Best coach in franchise history. 

Perspective. I think HOF'er and 4 Superbowl appearances (and Grey Cup winner), Marv Levy, still gets my vote. Coach McD has been great, but lets give him a few years of sustained high level success before we crown him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.