9/26/21 Bills vs. WTF Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

The biggest factors in this game to me was:

1. Allen moving in the pocket. Its obvious that they were letting Chase Young speed rush and the plan was to just push him as deep as possible and let Josh step up. I have no idea why Young or the WFT coaches didn't mix it up more and have Young try tow work more inside.

2. The Bills strong defensive play

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not only that but going into the game Sanders catch % was like 42 or 43% or so - “go ahead and double 14”

Now that we held the Manny Sands Emergence Party, DCs spinning the prayer wheels

Teams had been bracketing Diggs (and often Beasley) until the Bills proved they could get the ball to Sanders and Knox. This week is going to help a lot with opening things up for diggs.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Teams had been bracketing Diggs (and often Beasley) until the Bills proved they could get the ball to Sanders and Knox. This week is going to help a lot with opening things up for diggs.

It is a lot of what us Bills fans have been hoping for.  The opposing Ds will have to pick their poison.  If Josh can identify that look out.

Got to add "sprinkles" of Gabe to the list.  

43 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen dismantled their entire defensive strategy.  It must be disheartening to be a WFT coach today.

Agree, and so did the WFT fans. From their forum, right after the 93y drive:

"They can literally do ANYTHING they want on offense."

Omg people, I am getting the, the: Schadenboner!

Edited by Dukestreetking
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Here’s a tid bit from Grazianos weekly “Overreaction” article. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/32287437/judging-week-3-nfl-overreactions-rams-new-super-bowl-favorites-how-bad-steelers

The Bills are the best team in the AFC

Buffalo's offense might not have looked like its dominant 2020 self in the first two games of the season, but it woke up in a massive way Sunday. Josh Allen threw four touchdown passes and ran for another score in a 43-21 victory over Washington. (Remember when Washington was supposed to have one of the league's best defenses? We were all so young.)

It was the second game in Allen's career in which he had more than 300 passing yards, four passing touchdowns and a rushing touchdown. The only other quarterbacks who ever had more than one such game are Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, so that's pretty solid. This looked like the Bills offense we remember from November and December of 2020, when it was pretty much setting fire to the league on a weekly basis.

The verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION. The Bills were the AFC runner-up last season, so it was never going to be a stretch to think they might take one more step and become the conference's best team. The Chiefs, who have won the conference two years in a row, fell to 1-2 with a division loss to the Chargers, and the Browns' Week 1 collapse is really the only reason Kansas City isn't 0-3

Now, the Bills did lose to the Steelers in Week 1, which puts them in a group of AFC teams that are 2-1 so far. And the Broncos and Raiders are each 3-0. But meaning no disrespect to what those teams have done so far, it's fair if you want to use Buffalo's 2020 season and our preseason opinion of the Bills as a means of elevating their expectations over those of Vegas and Denver.

Still, there are 14 more regular-season games and the playoffs left to decide all of this, so it really doesn't matter what we think (or even what the reality is) through Week 3. But if you had the Bills representing the AFC in the Super Bowl this season, you're feeling a lot better about that pick after they outscored their opponents 88-21 over Weeks 2 and 3

What he didn't mention is we have 9 games left against teams with a combined record of 5-22.

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Good points. Let me give you my take. First off your comment about D. Jones is disingenuous. Conveniently, you forgot to mention he had 95 yards rushing and a TD. 

Secondly, I never called for Allen's head. That's just plain bull#### and a incorrect interpretation.

I believe Allen's struggles go back 4 games not 2. I'm entitled to voice my concerns about Allen. I brought up legitimate issues about his play. For example, mechanics, footwork, confidence, vision, jitterness in the pocket, and inaccurate passes. Like it or not those concerns were and are legitimate. Also, talked about the small sample size of Allen's success. That's just undeniable. I never questioned his ceiling and raw talent. I talked about players who had great runs like Cam, Kap, Cousins, RG3, Geoff, and Wentz. An article posted here from I believe the NY Times stated Allen may be regressing. Thus, adding some legitimacy to my posts. They aren't just some random trolling or hatred. 

Red flags is a matter of perception. I can see how it can be perceived as too strong. Others here pointed out that they disagreed with my takes. I acknowledged their views as valid. Look at my response to Thurman.

Your knock off the rust statement is at best marginal. 

Hope that clarifies my posts. 

Also, I think the true test of Allen and the offense will be on the road vs KC and Tenn. 

I look forward to others opinions and always welcome differing viewpoints without personal attacks.

The Ravens v Bills playoff game was no environment to throw a lot of passes in at a high completion rate for any QB. The national experts and tv watching fans never seem to factor this into how they review player performances, because honestly they don't know. That was not a game that can be cited as an example of inconsistent QB play as part of any theoretical "Streak" of lesser performance. Plus the Ravens had a playoff caliber defense. Things like that matter.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

The Ravens v Bills playoff game was no environment to throw a lot of passes in at a high completion rate for any QB. The national experts and tv watching fans never seem to factor this into how they review player performances, because honestly they don't know. That was not a game that can be cited as an example of inconsistent QB play as part of any theoretical "Streak" of lesser performance. Plus the Ravens had a playoff caliber defense. Things like that matter.

The case in point was Justin Tucker missed two FGs.  And that dude is about as automatic as there is in the history of the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

What does regression actually look like? Is it simply a function of lesser stats from one year to the next? Because if it is, then Josh will be in some great company if thst ends up being the case. 

I think the entire Josh Allen “regression” narrative is a vestige of that group of hardcore pundits who still insist on having to be right about Josh Allen coming out of Wyoming. 

I pointed out on one of the “regression” threads that there are two meanings of regression that are being used interchangeably:

1) regression towards the mean in a statistical sense.  There are numerous reasons for this including defenses adjusting, more snaps given to the run game, different WR corps, the wild card of injuries etc

2) regression in skill - return to previous mechanics, footwork, decision making etc

The former may well occur

The latter is clearly what some folks here and some pundits have been predicting

• Thank you (+1) 1