Kurt Warner break down of Josh vs Pittsburgh week 1

ILBillsfan

This was a solid breakdown, my biggest takeaway from watching this and other breakdowns as well as watching game film is pressure. Allen has been under pressure at a higher rate than most QBs this year so far. He's not handling it as well as he did last year, for reasons not clear to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Allen killed the blitz last year. Not sure about just pressure, but it’s reasonable to assume he did well.  The  eye test says the OL was better last year in those situations vs weeks 1 and 2 in 2021. I’ve seen many fans mention his mechanics appear to have reverted to 2019, but haven’t seen a thorough analysis of it yet to confirm or debunk. It’s probably a combination of factors so far, and we will see in coming weeks if the issues are addressed or they continue. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Allen killed the blitz last year. Not sure about just pressure, but it’s reasonable to assume he did well.  The  eye test says the OL was better last year in those situations vs weeks 1 and 2 in 2021. I’ve seen many fans mention his mechanics appear to have reverted to 2019, but haven’t seen a thorough analysis of it yet to confirm or debunk. It’s probably a combination of factors so far, and we will see in coming weeks if the issues are addressed or they continue. 

The Steelers didn't blitz.  At all.  OK, maybe once or twice?  Instead they overloaded one or another side to successfully bring pressure with 3 or 4, then blanketed the field with 6 or 7 DB. 

Maybe I just don't like Warner as an analyst. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Part of the reason is that even when teams blitzed, many times he had all day to throw. Our OLine and RBs picked up blitzes like a work of art...this year there have been too many free guys in too quickly.

They need to get it shored up.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Steelers didn't blitz.  At all.  OK, maybe once or twice?  Instead they overloaded one or another side to successfully bring pressure with 3 or 4, then blanketed the field with 6 or 7 DB. 

Maybe I just don't like Warner as an analyst. 

I agree on Warner, not a huge fan of his analysis. Yes, totally aware the Steelers generated their pressure with the front four. Just referencing what Allen did last season, and how teams may be taking a different approach but also wanted to mention I’m not sure how he did vs just pressure and not necessarily blitzes. 

30 minutes ago, uninja said:

This was a solid breakdown, my biggest takeaway from watching this and other breakdowns as well as watching game film is pressure. Allen has been under pressure at a higher rate than most QBs this year so far. He's not handling it as well as he did last year, for reasons not clear to me. 

It’s called contract pressure now he’s overthinking things that’s all 

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Part of the reason is that even when teams blitzed, many times he had all day to throw. Our OLine and RBs picked up blitzes like a work of art...this year there have been too many free guys in too quickly.

They need to get it shored up.

I guess that was what I was getting at, that the OL has been less reliable than last year thus far. Maybe it’s affecting Allen’s mechanics ? Haven’t watched any all 22 breakdowns or the like so far, so just a guess. 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I do agree with this as it looks like there is in hesitation.  I like how Kurt seen some of those decisions like that where he chose the other option and he said he was ok with that

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Maybe. I’m less convinced by these types of theories  ie crowd noise vs empty stadiums , contract etc than  I am by breakdowns of what has happened on the field to influence the play. 

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree on Warner, not a huge fan of his analysis. Yes, totally aware the Steelers generated their pressure with the front four. Just referencing what Allen did last season, and how teams may be taking a different approach but also wanted to mention I’m not sure how he did vs just pressure and not necessarily blitzes. 

I don't think Josh faced a lot of 3 or 4 man pressures last season because frankly, not that many teams can "bring it" with 3 or 4 consistently, especially if we might keep blockers in and of course, there was always the possibility that Allen would escape and run.  So I think part of what slowed Josh initially was that he wasn't familiar with some of the 7 man looks the Steelers were giving him and the Bills weren't expecting them.  He was looking at it and decoding it the first few series, and that should be OK vs. just assuming you know what you're seeing and throwing a pick. 

In the second play breakdown where Warner was saying it just becomes a 3 deep over 4 coverage,  I'm not sure that's something dual threat NFL QBs see a lot.  I think Warner saw it a lot, because in the Greatest Show on Turf days the Rams used to run a fair amount of 4 and 5 wide splitting Faulk out, and teams did that to counter.  Warner was not a dual threat QB at all, he might pick up a first down with a slide now and again.

Kevin Butler did promise they were going to show the Bills "something they hadn't seen before", give him credit for perhaps following through on that.

• Like (+1) 4

As most of us realized, Josh was pretty bad. Now, two weeks in a row. I think he is having trouble after signing that contract. He needs to come to terms with that. He is being paid to be ur best player now and for the next eight years. No one else, just him. It's a lot to realize.  I think he has to adjust and then move forward.

Daboll is doing nothing too wrong, the defenses were very good but Allen had his chances and just flat out missed what he hit the year prior. Let's stay tuned. Let's support him. C'mon Josh, we know you can do it. Fire that ball, baby!

Go Bills!

• Sad 1

GREAT VIDEO...To summarize, the majority of the "Josh" issues against Pittsburg, were the result of SLOWLY and POORLY identifying reads... that led to some rushed throws with poor mechanics.

I think the conclusion to what's going on with Josh and the offense is threefold...

1. Early season rust reading the defenses by Josh.

2. O-line protection rust.

3. Playing against quality defenses.

This is season 4 for Josh... so dissecting a defense is his 2021 goal/challenge. It will be interesting to see how far he gets. LUCKILY, we may have a top run game and top defense to make this a total wash at the end of the day!

Edited by Jobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

Not sure. I think Pittsburgh was bad. I don’t think Miami was that bad. He played within the game plan, and took what they gave him. He had some inaccurate throws, but also some dimes. I’m not worried. Hard to get upset when an offense scores 30+ points. They smashed a team they were supposed to smash. 

• Agree 2