Bandwagon fan takes

12 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I’m no bandwagon fan and it is blatantly clear our offense isn’t clicking to its full potential. Not anywhere close. Especially Josh.

Yeah we scored 35 points. But our offense couldn’t move the ball in the first half outside the first two drives. Josh was missing a lot of throws and opportunities that he made look easy last year.

FWIW, I’ve been a big fan since the Bledsoe days. I was too young to enjoy the glory years.  So my take is coming from someone who certainly is not a bandwagoner . 

The offense moved the ball to the tune of three running TDs and two passing TDs, a bit herky jerky but by most measures a more well rounded effort, instead of the usual ignoring the run game for the most part as is the usual MO for our OC. Complaining about a 35 point shut out at a division opponents home field opener is just silly,  games get won in different ways, our D was lights out, and our O was not up to par in only scoring 35 points, I guess I’ll pout about that… 🙄

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Just curious how do you know "we will be fine?" Curious as to you opinion on Allen played today? Your opinion on the Bills defense? Oline? Is it allowed that people constructively criticise players and coaches who under preform? Or are they just labeled trolls, doom and gloomers, and or haters. Help us understand you mindset. Wondering are you an "expert fan?" I don't think the posters here hate the Bills as you claim. Does hating equal saying negative things about the Bills? Are some on here unrealistically optimistic? Make all kind if excuses for players and coaches? Your thread is foolish...

There is a world of difference between constructive criticism and the pervasive negativism that many Bills fans emotive during games that aren't flawless. 

Most of us love talking football, and have no problem taking about how Allen, the run game, the D can play better. Strategy, mechanics, the mental side of the game. Let's talk about it!

It's the emoting of self-hatred and prognosis of doom that's is annoying as *****. 

Please talk football. It will distract from the people demanding that the franchise is doomed and failure is certain. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

There is a world of difference between constructive criticism and the pervasive negativism that many Bills fans emotive during games that aren't flawless. 

Most of us love talking football, and have no problem taking about how Allen, the run game, the D can play better. Strategy, mechanics, the mental side of the game. Let's talk about it!

It's the emoting of self-hatred and prognosis of doom that's is annoying as *****. 

Please talk football. It will distract from the people demanding that the franchise is doomed and failure is certain. 

I guess it's a matter of perception. I just don't see the "doom and failure is certain" attitude on here. I see skepticism, concerns, critics, assessments, and opinions. Leys be honest a negative assessment or opinion isn't perceived well on here by many. You will almost without a doubt be labeled a doom and gloomer, troll, hater, etc. Trust me I'm speaker frin experience. 

15 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

It was rough on the game threads today.  Got pretty annoyed at the doom and gloom up 14-0, 21-0, 28-0...today was a set back it seemed.  We stink, our qb stinks, daboll stinks...Higher expectations.  People jumping in the conversation who normally wouldn't, trolls, kids...casual fans.  Bottom line we won 35-0 on the road in division in a very big early season game.  The Superbowl wasn't today.  We will be fine.  If you hate on us on a secomd and eight in the second quarter down 3 pis....bug off.... go Bills.

Not sure why posters of your mentality bother to spend time at a message forum like this.

You clearly aren't interested in discussing Bills football, and just want to shout out "Go Bills" between sips of your Bud light.

You don't need a message board for that.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not sure why posters of your mentality bother to spend time at a message forum like this.

You clearly aren't interested in discussing Bills football, and just want to shout out "Go Bills" between sips of your Bud light.

You don't need a message board for that.

Its not the disagreement and differing opinions that i am speaking of.  I love that.  Its more the "Bills stink, we are going to miss the playoffs" after we go 3 and out crowd.  

Another poster suggested I avoid the game threads, i like that advice.  

And btw, Bud Light is not something I would drink.

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

There were quite a few throw aways in this one (they count 4, but Kumerow got a target on a ball that was thrown into the stands because no one was open), which usually means good coverage, pressure, or both.  Only 1 sack on the day.  

2 major bad decisions - the mckenzie sideline throw that was almost picked, and the int.  He had one deflected at the line that looked like it could've been a nice gainer. 

2nd half stat line i show is 10/17 for 120 and a TD, sacked once, and 2 carries for like 25 yards.  Not crazy MVP numbers but they were in control offensively in the 2nd half, they had fantastic field position all game which limits the yards you can gain. 

I get it but this seems to be the ultimate example of cherry picking. I mean don't both halve statistics count? Allen had by far more 2 poor decisions. I think most fans honestly assessing his play would agree it as mediocre at best. Plenty of examples and a plain eye ball test validates this. Allen is not playing with confidence, his footwook is again rearing it head, he's locking into receivers, throwing into double coverage, very jittery in the pocket, and very inaccurate completing slightly above 50%. Of course there are other variables in play like the opponent's defensive skill, the Oline, questionable play calling,  and inability to maintain a running game. Its not all on Allen. At this point, early on its hard to like what we care seeing out of Allen. Isn't that a fair statement? Let's hope Allen and the offensive can turn things around. 

Here are some things to think about:

Remember the famous Belichick "On to Cincinnati" comment?  Teams take time to jell every season.  For years Brady & NE would throw a clunker in in September and when that happened the he's old & done crowd would chime in early then watch him win another championship.

Speaking of Brady, last season Tampa started off fairly slow & didn't catch fire until late in the season & the playoffs.

Don't peak too soon, build up momentum as the season goes on.  Many Super Bowl champs weren't at 100% in September.

When you're complaining about the Bills when they are dominating because the players aren't getting you enough fantasy points, it's time to look at videos of games during the drought years and then you might appreciate how much better this team is nowadays.  

If the offense isn't there by December, come back and complain as much as you want, just for now keep it in perspective that great teams peak in December, January & hopefully, February.  Flashes in the pan peak in September & October (see Jauron & Fitzpatrick contract extensions)  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

So Saying Allen is not playing up to par of his new contract is not talking football.

or is it talking about things that you think are not allowed to be talked about.

Also, the Defense can play better, lol? next time maybe they can give Miami negative points. 

15 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Last year Josh threw for over 300 in week 1 and over 400 in week 2.

Also his jump in accuracy,  measured inaccurately one might say  ( pun intended) by completion  percentage which all the experts said was impossible to learn you either had it or you weren't getting it took everyone by surprise when he clicked so seamlessly with diggs to erase that false narrative.  Now he's getting the respect his play warrants and he's now having to face games with specifically designed gameplans to stop him.

Earning the respect of your peers is one thing now he has to juggle maintaining his edge as new looks pop up as the bills are now the hunted.  It puts more on his plate so if he doesn't instantly come up with the answers but needs to process the correct counters after film study and some tweaking of plays that would be likely to succeed against those new looks.  

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

It was rough on the game threads today.  Got pretty annoyed at the doom and gloom up 14-0, 21-0, 28-0...today was a set back it seemed.  We stink, our qb stinks, daboll stinks...Higher expectations.  People jumping in the conversation who normally wouldn't, trolls, kids...casual fans.  Bottom line we won 35-0 on the road in division in a very big early season game.  The Superbowl wasn't today.  We will be fine.  If you hate on us on a secomd and eight in the second quarter down 3 pis....bug off.... go Bills.

It's not unreal to have been concerned up 14-0 at the half. The offense wasn't good and the Dolphins could have well tied it if they hadn't thrown up all over themselves. (Dropped TD, dropped INTs, just drops everywhere.) Once we scored on the first drive of the 2nd half I relaxed, but this game was by no means in the bag at the half. 

19 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I didn’t read much of the game day thread, I just made a couple comments.  I can’t say I know what you’re talking about with regards to the doom and gloom posts, but in my mind, it boils down to this:

We all thought Josh Allen was a top 2-3 QB in the league.  There was little doubt to that.  The great plays he made last year were legendaryesque.  Only the best can do what he was doing on a weekly basis.  I can’t recall any QB having a season like that.  Definitely worthy of the MVP.  

The stadiums were empty, devoid of crowd noise. 

2021 begins and he hasn’t played nearly as well as he did last season.  He pressed and forced big throws vs Pittsburgh, bypassing the safer alternative.  His passes were often off the mark.  He didn’t look like the QB I saw last year.  Yes, I realize the OL was embarrassing and WRs had drops.  He still didn’t look the same.  This week, he missed throws he would’ve made last season.  The pick by xavien was a bad pass.  Way behind Diggs. The bomb that Diggs caught, he had xavien smoked.  Allens pass was way short and Diggs saved him by being the best in the biz at contested catches. He didn’t look bad…..but he didn’t look like the 2nd best qb in football and pretty far from being the best.  The crowds are back. It looks as if he’s regressed.  Luckily it’s a very small sample size and he can still revert back to 2020 Josh.  

I was hoping he’d come out and show us why we paid him so much money.  He hasn’t done that, which isn’t the best case scenario for us as bills fanatics.  We were spoiled last season.  Didn’t lose a game from Nov 16th to Jan 23.  Josh was an absolute monster in almost every game.  This year, he hasn’t been an absolute monster in any games.  We want to see it.  

Josh Allen being the best player possible is the most important thing to us as fans. We haven’t seen him resemble an elite QB since the colts game.  4 sub elite QB play in a row.  

i can’t speak for everyone, but Allens play and the current state of the OL is the source of my doom and gloom.  

27 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Also his jump in accuracy,  measured inaccurately one might say  ( pun intended) by completion  percentage which all the experts said was impossible to learn you either had it or you weren't getting it took everyone by surprise when he clicked so seamlessly with diggs to erase that false narrative.  Now he's getting the respect his play warrants and he's now having to face games with specifically designed gameplans to stop him.

Earning the respect of your peers is one thing now he has to juggle maintaining his edge as new looks pop up as the bills are now the hunted.  It puts more on his plate so if he doesn't instantly come up with the answers but needs to process the correct counters after film study and some tweaking of plays that would be likely to succeed against those new looks.  

Great post

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I am no QB or O-line expert, but even I was like "he's sailing his initial throws the exact same way as last week, something has him shook and his mechanics are off".

I am partly convinced he tried to develop some new techniques in the off season and is applying them to all situations. Passes are coming out weird. When he launched the bomb to Diggs, the throw looked so off, almost wobbly and too high. Like, he knows he’s bombing deep passes too far and now taking too much off of them. 

3 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I am partly convinced he tried to develop some new techniques in the off season and is applying them to all situations. Passes are coming out weird. When he launched the bomb to Diggs, the throw looked so off, almost wobbly and too high. Like, he knows he’s bombing deep passes too far and now taking too much off of them. 

I also noticed at least one throw that called for his patented fastball, but he seemed to try to throw it with touch instead and it fluttered short, as if his arm strength suddenly failed mid throw.  Seemed to me like he was frequently getting confused, and not acting on his honed instinct.

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's not unreal to have been concerned up 14-0 at the half. The offense wasn't good and the Dolphins could have well tied it if they hadn't thrown up all over themselves. (Dropped TD, dropped INTs, just drops everywhere.) Once we scored on the first drive of the 2nd half I relaxed, but this game was by no means in the bag at the half. 

No it wasn't.  In the recent past,  pre-Mcbeane (our PM), the bills were the team that lost this game to the Pats.  For however long this team embraces the current culture of winning and respecting the process we can be the top dog that let's division rivals make mistakes trying to beat the bills. No one circles the wagons is not just the fans these days.  Think its part of the process to play complementary football. 

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Really isn't it smarter to try new thing out under real bullets when you know you can compete with the opponent?  I always felt BB and the Brady would test things against the rest of afce because they did own the division for a close to a full decade.  Let's practice our play on them now.

With covid there was still less ota practices so extra practice where ever u squeeze it in surely helps.

Edited by AuntieEm

22 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Last year Josh threw for over 300 in week 1 and over 400 in week 2.

Against teams bringing the extra rusher and playing man defense.

Folks should educate themselves on why Allen and our offense dominated those games and how defenses have adjusted.

It is silly to think they will pass for 400 yards against cover 3 zone passing defensive sets with very good secondaries only giving up a few underneath passes.

Offensive performance is more than passing for lots of yards = good passing for less yards = bad.

Are there things to fix? Yes. But these are summary judgements based on faulty assumptions.

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Against teams bringing the extra rusher and playing man defense.

Folks should educate themselves on why Allen and our offense dominated those games and how defenses have adjusted.

It is silly to think they will pass for 400 yards against cover 3 zone passing defensive sets with very good secondaries only giving up a few underneath passes.

Offensive performance is more than passing for lots of yards = good passing for less yards = bad.

Are there things to fix? Yes. But these are summary judgements based on faulty assumptions.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying .

There is context to my comment as someone said Josh was struggling the first few games last year 

Darn it, liking the Bills for 32 years doesn't get my fan card. Since we can never be critical in wins, I will also never be positive in losses. I shall cast nothing but unfiltered misery after each loss and fart rainbows and unicorns after each win. After another 10 years I will reapply for my fan card. Thank you for showing me the way.   

7 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

So Saying Allen is not playing up to par of his new contract is not talking football.

or is it talking about things that you think are not allowed to be talked about.

Also, the Defense can play better, lol? next time maybe they can give Miami negative points. 

Green Bay Packers Shut Up GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

GDTs are about analyzing what's happening in the moment.  We call out the good, the bad, and the ugly as we see it.  Sure, there are some hot takes, but many of us try to relate what we're seeing, often stuff that the commentators are overlooking, like how the refs screw up constantly both ways.  We call out bad penalties, when we get away with one, great plays, bad plays, everything is fair game in the GDT. 

The only thing that isn't fair game are the personal attacks, which occur with far too much frequency around here.  Disagree with the opinion, but calling that person names or questioning their mental capacity or health is out of bounds.  Calling us "bandwagon" fans is an insult that should not be leveled, just because we point out something we might be concerned with.