Watching the game again this game is all on Daboll

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

If you are using McVay as a prime example of excellent coaching...go back and watch the Rams SB against NE from 2018 and study McVay's face for that game.  Completely outcoached.  It happens.  It was ONE FREAKING GAME MAN.  Step back from the ledge.  

And to your point.....after that 13-3 season the Rams went 9-7 and everyone was saying "McVay has been solved, he's a one-trick pony, he can't or won't adjust"

A 18-32 loss to Green Bay last year in the Division round only furthered that narrative.

Now McVay thumps a Dalton-QB'd Bears team and he's a super-genius again.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The dink and dunk ***** is a recipe for a mistake…. I don’t want to see the 15+ play drives for 6-7 yard dump offs. 

Yeah, it's so much better if we throw 3 straight deep incomplete passes and punt.

The idea is if you take what the defense gives you and start shredding them underneath, they adjust to stop that and loosen up on the longer stuff.

Allen did this on his drives vs. GB in preseason.  Yesterday, Nope.

The deep passes would be OK if Allen hits them, but that's been a struggle for him since his rookie year.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The dink and dunk ***** is a recipe for a mistake…. I don’t want to see the 15+ play drives for 6-7 yard dump offs. 

Normally, yes, but against a team that can bring massive pressure with just four, it's the answer. The Pats have done this for years and have had no problem scoring. Yesterday, it would have been an answer to the problem the Steelers posed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Fans and media are making this too simple of an argument. 

The Allen throw 50 times template doesn't work in every game, every situation. 

We tried to shoehorn it in yesterday and it failed. 

It's not that we start running 50/50. But our Coaches don't seem to put any stock in balancing out the offense, or adjusting to what is really happening on the field in a specific game. 

We need our Coaches to recognize what is happening quicker and adjust. We didn't do that. Second play of the game we're throwing -2 yard passes sideways. In the 3rd quarter we're still having Isaiah McKenzie run the ball for -3 yards, then going deep the next play. 

The result was a chaotic offensive game with zero rhythm. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And to your point.....after that 13-3 season the Rams went 9-7 and everyone was saying "McVay has been solved, he's a one-trick pony, he can't or won't adjust"

A 18-32 loss to Green Bay last year in the Division round only furthered that narrative.

Now McVay thumps a Dalton-QB'd Bears team and he's a super-genius again.

He’s 38-0 when leading at the half. He now has a competent QB. They are going to be a fun team to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

Daboll takes the lionshare of the blame, sure... but not all on Daboll.

-Daboll designed a TD for Sanders.  Allen missed him.

-Daboll designed a first down conversion to get us in scoring position with a quick screen to Beasley.  Allen threw it into the dirt.

-Daboll designed a seam route big gainer to Sanders.  Sanders allowed himself to get separated from the ball.  

Players also have to make plays... even when their OC is off in la-la land most of the game.  

Claypool, Juju and Diontae all made big time plays down the stretch.  I can't name one big play a WR made for Josh that wasn't a routine catch.  

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Daboll takes the lionshare of the blame, sure... but not all on Daboll.

-Daboll designed a TD for Sanders.  Allen missed him.

-Daboll designed a first down conversion to get us in scoring position with a quick screen to Beasley.  Allen threw it into the dirt.

-Daboll designed a seam route big gainer to Sanders.  Sanders allowed himself to get separated from the ball.  

Players also have to make plays... even when their OC is off in la-la land most of the game.  

Claypool, Juju and Diontae all made big time plays down the stretch.  I can't name one big play a WR made for Josh that wasn't a routine catch.  

Claypool is an animal. We don’t have that kind of WR who will just fly over the middle and use his body in the line of duty. We need a 6’ 6” beast WR who will just go rhino mode when you need it. 

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

McVay is 38-0 with a lead at the half. How is it that other coaches can be so competent with less talent than us? Is Geoff and Stafford better than Allen? I don’t think so, so it tells me coaching/play calling is the issue. 

McVay didn't need to rebuild. Every part of your record will look better if only you step into a team that is already on the way up.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

McVay didn't need to rebuild. Every part of your record will look better if only you step into a team that is already on the way up.

Well I will give a McDermott the benefit of the doubt and will start his stat counter this year seeming how we are no longer a rebuilding team. McDermott is currently 0-1 when leading at the half. 

Do think Daboll had too many formation tendencies - at least it was obvious when we were going to run or pass - and the Steelers knew what was going to happen. You can tell by how the Linebackers took their first steps. 

He wasn't helped by Allen getting frustrated and throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage. 

Allen clearly stopped trusting his protection, and when that happens, you have an entirely different offense. He's not going through his progressions. Instead he stops at the first half opening and sends it. The best Josh is the Josh that hangs, moves the pocket, and then delivers. Yesterday, he hung, scrambled, and rarely extended the pocket. 

When 3 of your lineman are struggling that badly with protection, you need to change your protection. Start going 11 & 12 packages, and block with 7, and run routes with 3. Some arrogance involved in thinking that Allen would just be able to deal with that kind of pressure all on his own. Especially when you consider he's having to deal with 6-8 guys in coverage. 

Dunno, think if the Bills had just used more bodies to protect, that could have settled Allen mentally, and he could back to his thing of finding those 2nd and 3rd windows deeper into the zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't disagree the coaches did not do a good job yesterday on offense especially. But I am not sure there is an adjustment known to man that works when your OL are being rag dolled right off the snap. It was from the very first offensive play we had in the game. They just got bullied. There are not many adjustments for that. The Bills tried shuffling personnel and it made no difference. 

Seems the logical thing to do is to bring in more personnel to block.    Keep a back in the backfield instead of out wide.   Put a tight end in who chips the defensive end before running his passing route.   Shovel passes just beyond the penetrating defenders.   Half back draw plays.   Good coaches have been defeating superior pass rushes for years.

I recall a few years back when the Bills had a top defense, that top defense was soundly defeated by Philip Rivers and Tom Brady getting the ball out so fast it essentially negated any type of pass rush the superior BIlls defense could muster.     Yesterday our QB was holding the football for how many seconds waiting for plays to develop?  All game just about?  

I still like the coaches we have - especially McDermott.   I think there is still a lot of room for improvement from them that would greatly improve this team.   I think they were under-prepared for the difficulties the Steelers presented in this game.  The coaches didn't have the answers they needed and it showed in the second half.   And if they were as prepared as they could be for this game, then it shows that the Steelers' coach(es) who prepared for Buffalo were/are better at their job - at least for this game they were.   

20 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He’s 38-0 when leading at the half. He now has a competent QB. They are going to be a fun team to watch. 

What's Your Pont?  He's 44-21 overall, meaning he must be a fairly miserable 6-21 when not leading at the half.

Are you arguing McVay is usually unable to make adjustments and bring a team back from behind?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What's Your Pont?  He's 44-21 overall, meaning he must be a fairly miserable 6-21 when not leading at the half.

Are you arguing McVay is usually unable to make adjustments and bring a team back from behind?

Part of that 6-21 is not having a competent QB. Stafford will help that statistic. 
Allen on the Rams is an instant Super Bowl favorite. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Disagree 1

plus I was surprised that Moss was inactive  - so I expected a little not a lot of gameplan involving Breida and his "speed" and we got nothing, actually I will call it a negative from that move

Plus Sweeney was active and played 4 downs - none on ST - so the only value to activate him is in case Knox goes down (as if Gilliam cant sub ?)

Also if you watched the SNF game- the Rams also played the "light box" like to Pitts, dropping the LBs deeper and daring the Bears to run...is this the new D strategy to deal with the pass-happy offenses ???  esp when you have confidence in your front four ?

Edited by First Round Bust

Bills played right into the Steelers strength. Bills led most of the game, dominated time of possession and Josh Allen still threw it 51 times. 

Melvin Ingram, TJ Watt, Cam Heyward we’re T’ing off on Allen and made him uncomfortable. We had no threat of a run game. Daboll STILL has no interest in trying to establish one. It will once again be our Achilles heel if he doesn’t figure that out.

17 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Seems the logical thing to do is to bring in more personnel to block.    Keep a back in the backfield instead of out wide.   Put a tight end in who chips the defensive end before running his passing route.   Shovel passes just beyond the penetrating defenders.   Half back draw plays.   Good coaches have been defeating superior pass rushes for years.

This is where small individual decisions can snowball.  The decision was made off-season to move on from Lee Smith, the prototypical Extra Blocker who can catch if the D loses track of him.  OK, fine.  But Knox still isn't fit to carry Smith's jockstrap as a blocker.  Knox can block OK if he's sure who to block, but needing to diagnose a defense and decide who his assignment is after the snap eluded him last season and while he's thinking, the guy he's supposed to block is tackling the RB for a loss or chasing the QB around like a chicken.  They kept Tommy Sweeney as the more prototypical blocking-type TE, but he hardly played.

Then the decision was made to scratch Zach Moss, the better blocking RB by far, in favor of Breida.  I'm not sure Breida can block.  Singletary was kept in to block at times.  I saw him looking about frantically for someone to block at least once while Ingram was sailing by to his L.  If "we need help blocking inline or in the backfield" is the question, I'm not sure Singletary is the answer.

Basically, if the need is for extra blockers or for a bit of extra help, the extra hands solution is a good one.  But our OL was just getting their asses sliced off and handed to them, and the extra hands we needed were either inactive or not seeing the field.

I recall a few years back when the Bills had a top defense, that top defense was soundly defeated by Philip Rivers and Tom Brady getting the ball out so fast it essentially negated any type of pass rush the superior BIlls defense could muster.     Yesterday our QB was holding the football for how many seconds waiting for plays to develop?  All game just about?  

This is what has to happen, along with running.  If the DL is going to tee off and get after us because they're not worried about quick passes or runs - then give them quick passes and runs!

I still like the coaches we have - especially McDermott.   I think there is still a lot of room for improvement from them that would greatly improve this team.   I think they were under-prepared for the difficulties the Steelers presented in this game.  The coaches didn't have the answers they needed and it showed in the second half.   And if they were as prepared as they could be for this game, then it shows that the Steelers' coach(es) who prepared for Buffalo were/are better at their job - at least for this game they were.   

Yep.  McDermott has a reputation for not staying down - for responding to a loss by digging deep and figuring it out.  We will see if he shows that here.

• Like (+1) 1