162 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win TNF

• Dallas
    • Tampa Bay
  2. 2. Who do you hate less

• Cowboys
    • Brady

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Lost in this discussion about the non call....

Pretty poor clock management by the Cowboys on their final drive. They should not have left so much time for Brady.

Similar situation at the end of the first half where, despite Zeke, they should have run more. Too much reliance on the passing game. Yea, I know the TB defense is tough against the run but have to show variety on O.

I thought the bigger issue was choosing to kick the FG at that point.

If McCarthy had an ounce of brass, he goes for it on 4th down and probably wins the game if he converts.

Not going for it and instead handing the ball back to Brady with only a 2pnt lead, over 1:30 left, a TO in his pocket and 4 downs to play with is just signing your own death warrant.

A unique combination of stupid and gutless!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Lucky in the sense that refs usually don't throw those flags at the end of games. 

I know. That's what I'm calling lazy. 

We admit that it's a person (the ref) who has control of that situation and consciously decides to not follow the rules, but then classify it as "luck."

A coin toss is luck.

If I'm able to control what side it lands on, it's no longer luck.

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

That was OPI on that big throw at the end of the game but the ref that makes that call would have had a hard time seeing it from his vantage point.

If only the sideline ref can make that call, then we should never see flags flown from refs across the field, but...

4 hours ago, mannc said:

I’m looking forward to the Giants making the same mistake with Saquon Barkley very soon. Teams never learn. And as I recall, there was a decent QB still on the board when they drafted Barkley…

Here's the problem with the Giants.  Their head coach at the time Pat Shurmur, who some think is a QB savant, wasn't very impressed with Josh Allen. When asked, Shurmur said he thought Allen "had a chance" to be a starter.  Not exactly high praise-see link below.   I don't know what he thought of Darnold or Rosen but at least they didn't draft either one of them.  So, it was either Barkley or a QB who busted because Shurmur didn't want Allen.  The Giants have to give Barkley a 2nd contract unless he is bad the next 2 seasons (they already picked up his 5th year option).  

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/12/pat-shurmur-and-josh-allen-chance-to-be-starter-nfl-draft-new-york-giants-buffalo-bills/2302418001/

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

I thought the bigger issue was choosing to kick the FG at that point.

If McCarthy had an ounce of brass, he goes for it on 4th down and probably wins the game if he converts.

Not going for it and instead handing the ball back to Brady with only a 2pnt lead, over 1:30 left, a TO in his pocket and 4 downs to play with is just signing your own death warrant.

A unique combination of stupid and gutless!

Comes down to situational awareness. Two ways McCarthy could have played this (assuming there was no way he would be able to totally burn the clock down given how the TB D was playing): 

- Run max time off the clock and give Brady less than 30 seconds. At that point, a FG may have been the right call

- Do what you suggest. Given that there were 90 seconds on the clock with Brady at the other end, he should have seen that the odds of getting a 1st down are better than being able to stop Brady from driving to FG distance. At that point in the game, 90 seconds was more important. the extra 25 yards of field position were irrelevant as TB only needed a FG

But either way, this was bad in-game coaching. The pre-half time play calling was terrible as well 

22 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I know. That's what I'm calling lazy. 

We admit that it's a person (the ref) who has control of that situation and consciously decides to not follow the rules, but then classify it as "luck."

A coin toss is luck.

If I'm able to control what side it lands on, it's no longer luck.

If only the sideline ref can make that call, then we should never see flags flown from refs across the field, but...

And we have the advantage of instant replay.

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's the problem with the Giants.  Their head coach at the time Pat Shurmur, who some think is a QB savant, wasn't very impressed with Josh Allen. When asked, Shurmur said he thought Allen "had a chance" to be a starter.  Not exactly high praise-see link below.   I don't know what he thought of Darnold or Rosen but at least they didn't draft either one of them.  So, it was either Barkley or a QB who busted because Shurmur didn't want Allen.  The Giants have to give Barkley a 2nd contract unless he is bad the next 2 seasons (they already picked up his 5th year option).  

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/12/pat-shurmur-and-josh-allen-chance-to-be-starter-nfl-draft-new-york-giants-buffalo-bills/2302418001/

Yep, Shurmur is a moron.  Not only did the Giants pass on Josh Allen for a running back, they could have traded that pick for a king’s ransom.

The Giants are actually putting together a pretty nice team.  If they get decent play out of Jones this year, they will definitely surprise some people.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If that happens mid 3rd Quarter it is OPI but there is a kind of unwritten understanding that the officials try to avoid deciding games late with contentious calls. I was fine with the no call there. I thought it was OPI but it was not egregious.  

It if it's a penalty in the third, if should the in the fourth. Calling that isn't the ref deciding the game, it is the player deciding by committing the penalty. And a sliding scale for what is a penalty creates the situation where a player has to change their game depending in how he thinks the refs are going to change their calling the game.

1 minute ago, Coastie said:

It if it's a penalty in the third, if should the in the fourth. Calling that isn't the ref deciding the game, it is the player deciding by committing the penalty. And a sliding scale for what is a penalty creates the situation where a player has to change their game depending in how he thinks the refs are going to change their calling the game.

Yep. The unwritten rule isn't that the refs will let them play in the last two minutes, it's that the refs will do whatever the ***** they want in the last two minutes. 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dak played a good game and I don't want to take anything away from that, but "unstoppable"?

Punt-TD-Punt-Missed FG-TD on a Fumble just outside the redzone - Field Goal off an INT -  Missed FG - FG - Interception - TD - FG -Punt

Is that what you call "unstoppable"?  

Looks to me like they settled for FG attempts 5x

Also got 9 points instead of 14 off 2 turnovers

Again, saw some good stuff from Dak this game, but the Dallas offense reminds me of the Bills offense in 2019 where we did good things

Just not enough of them, and settled for 3 points instead of 7 too often.

Dak threw for over 400 yards vs one of the best defenses in the league on the road. The pick wasnt even his fault either. He shouldve thrown at least one or two before that though. 

They are clearly going to have one of the best offenses in the league unfortunately. Maybe not quite "unstoppable" but pretty close. 

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Lucky in the sense that refs usually don't throw those flags at the end of games. 

Normally I agree with your takes, and normally I agree with this one about the refs. But in this one, I don’t think he has a decent chance to make the catch without the small shove. And if that’s the case, that the shove allowed the catch that otherwise wouldn’t have been made, you have to make the call IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Coastie said:

I am just telling you the reality. The refs don't like calling those 50/50 ones at the end of games. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dallas always finds a way to get invited to the most exclusive parties in the NFL, despite the fact that they aren't a very good football team, and haven't been for years.

It's the "Dallas Cowboys, America's Team" bull####.

31 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Dak threw for over 400 yards vs one of the best defenses in the league on the road. The pick wasnt even his fault either. He shouldve thrown at least one or two before that though. 

They are clearly going to have one of the best offenses in the league unfortunately. Maybe not quite "unstoppable" but pretty close. 

The Cowboys showed why passing yards aren't highly correlated with winning

In 2019 (last season Dak played) the Cowboys (8-8) had the #2 passing offense in the league, after Tampa Bay (7-9) with Jameis Winston, but #6 on points.  They did just what they did last night - moved the ball down the field readily but couldn't always "seal the deal" for points.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

unless youre brady in the NFC championship game and you need a late DPI to keep a drive going lol  Packers got absolute hosed last year much like the cowboys last night.  Not to mention the chiefs get away with defensive holding by their dbs all season until they play against brady of course 😁