First time EVER playing Fantasy... I pick 1st in our draft tomorrow

I picked first today, in an 8 team ppr league.  I agonized between JA17 and a RB.  I gambled and took RB McCaffrey, and lucked into JA in round 2 (somebody took mahomes first.  Dummass)

I also have JA17 in my 12 team league.  Took him probably 2 rounds 'too early' (1st round, 9th overall), because some dummass took Mahomes 6th and I was NOT about to eff around.  And I'm now locked into enjoying my team all season.  Worth it.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And yes... I'm picking Josh Allen

that is all...

DONT TAKE ALLEN NUMBER 1 OVERALL. 

If you are playing fantasy football for fanhood of your team, fine, but playing Madden would be cheaper.

If you’re playing to win, you would be a fool to take Allen first when he will certainly be there in the second round unless your whole league is Bills fans.  Take Christian McCaffrey then take Allen next round.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

I have done all four of my fantasy drafts now. Didn't get Josh in any, I am not generally a QB early guy, I ended up with Wilson x1, Rodgers x1, Stafford x1 and Tannehill x1 as starting Quarterbacks. I was picking first in the snake draft when I took Tannehill and wrongly calculated there would still be a Quarterback left by the 6th round after my back to back 4th and 5th rounders and then there was a major run.... oh well. Quarterbacks rarely make or break fantasy seasons. 

I do have Diggs in a couple of leagues (had him in all 4 last year because he lasted way too long), I have Devin in a couple too because the running back pool thins out quickly and I do think he will emerge as more of a RB1 this year for the Bills rather than a genuine timeshare.... but I don't love him as a fantasy prospect because Josh, Moss and Gilliam are all potential redzone vultures. Also got Tyler Bass twice and in the one IDP league I play I have Tre White. 

The non-Bill I have most of is Michael Pittman who I have in 3/4 leagues. I think he is going way too late. While I have my doubts about Carson Wentz's ability to be good in Indy the fact is with Hilton out for the first 4-6 weeks they need to throw to someone and Pittman has a real chance to solidify himself as a WR1. 

• Like (+1) 2

McCaffrey is still the consensus number one. His 2019 was pretty incredible and of course than the injury. 

I would hold out.. You can probably get through the first couples rounds and still get him if you want him unless your in it with a bunch of Bills fans lol then all bets are off. 

But from a fantasy perspective some good options even if  Allen goes. You could always try to grab Justin Herbert. Even  Rodgers lasted long in my league and I paired him with Davante who was one of my keepers. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never done an auction draft. Will put that on my list for next year. 

let me know if you have any questions. Once you do an auction, you will never go back to snake style draft

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And yes... I'm picking Josh Allen

that is all...

have to check scoring settings first

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

in a snake draft you would never be able to get both Henry and Cook. In an auction you can

My first draft of this year I got the two guys I expect to be #1 and #2 in rushing in the NFL this season - Cook and Dobbins. 48 hours later...... 😔

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

37 minutes ago, nucci said:

let me know if you have any questions. Once you do an auction, you will never go back to snake style draft

Interesting.  I’ve been playing FFB for years and have never done an auction draft either.  I like the snake draft, but I suppose it’s worthy of investigating further.

Agreed on not taking a QB 1st overall, but if you’re in a 2 QB league they can start going towards the end of the 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Interesting.  I’ve been playing FFB for years and have never done an auction draft either.  I like the snake draft, but I suppose it’s worthy of investigating further.

Agreed on not taking a QB 1st overall, but if you’re in a 2 QB league they can start going towards the end of the 1st.

It depends on the league, in my super flex (most owners go 2 QBs) we had QBs go with the top 3 picks overall and 4 go in the first round overall. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

in a snake draft you would never be able to get both Henry and Cook. In an auction you can

Then you have little to no money to fill the rest of your team. Cook and Henry both went for $70+ in the two auctions I did this year(CMC and Kamara went for closer to 80🤮). You would have $50 left to fill 14 spots.  

1 hour ago, nucci said:

1st mistake is doing a snake draft and not auction draft. Snake limits who you can draft

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

50 minutes ago, eball said:

I used to do a dynasty auction league, with rules so complicated that it would make your head spin.  At first, it was a nice change up to normal snake draft. But after a year or two, it was not a lot of fun. Turned less into fantasy football And more into the equivalent of playing the stock market.

I would recommend trying an auction (preferably with a league of sophisticated players), but in the end, I much prefer a snake draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1