First time EVER playing Fantasy... I pick 1st in our draft tomorrow

4 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Auction is by far the most fun and truly seperates the good FF players. Unfortunately, my two league club dissolved this year after 16 years. Sux. Now my only outlet is in an online snake draft with a dude i know who moved out of state and a bunch if his new buddies.

Not too late, start a TBD league......might be too late to organize an auction however.

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

DONT TAKE ALLEN NUMBER 1 OVERALL. 

If you are playing fantasy football for fanhood of your team, fine, but playing Madden would be cheaper.

If you’re playing to win, you would be a fool to take Allen first when he will certainly be there in the second round unless your whole league is Bills fans.  Take Christian McCaffrey then take Allen next round.

Allen hasn't lasted past 20 in any of my leagues. That's the crappy part about the number one pick. Once you get your guy, you watch as all the other studs you wanted fall off the board.

Sheesh... this should establish that I don't know SQUAT about Fantasy. Just setup my automatic draft player ranking (cause I don't know if I'll be around for the actual draft later today) with McCaffery as my #1, Kelce as my #2 and Allen as my #3.

I  assume this means if Kelce is available in the 2nd I'd get him.

Any other suggestions? 

Is Diggs a better Fantasy bet than Allen? I don't even understand how that would be possible.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is Diggs a better Fantasy bet than Allen? I don't even understand how that would be possible.

Yes Diggs over Allen. 

Standard scoring a receiver scores 1 point for every 10 receiving yards and 6 points for every touchdown. Whereas a QB will receive 1 point every 25 passing yards and 4 points per touchdown pass. 

A lot of leagues now are "PPR" which means point per reception so in addition to yards your receiver gets 1 bonus point for every catch... so say Stef has a 25 yard touchdown catch he gets 9.5 points on that play alone. Allen gets 5 points for the same play. 

Is it why the QBs who go early are generally the ones who gain rush yards because it is 1 point for every 10 yards rushing too. So you will likely see Lamar and Kyler and maybe even Dak go before Rodgers and Brady.

I took McCaffrey 1st pick

Allen 2nd pick at 24

Darren Waller 3rd pick at 25

I got 3 top 3 guys at their position. 

WR is so deep, I did like Beane and went with quanity over quality I guess you can say. 

The main stat I looked at for WR? Targets..

I got D Washington from Pit

Jeudy, Boyd, Davante Parker, Chark,Beasley.

All had over 100 targets last year. 

Don't take Josh 1st pick. That's just terrible management 

12 man league obviously 

Edited by JerseyBills

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

DONT TAKE ALLEN NUMBER 1 OVERALL. 

If you are playing fantasy football for fanhood of your team, fine, but playing Madden would be cheaper.

If you’re playing to win, you would be a fool to take Allen first when he will certainly be there in the second round unless your whole league is Bills fans.  Take Christian McCaffrey then take Allen next round.

Mcaffrey is great until week 7 when he breaks from over use 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes Diggs over Allen. 

Standard scoring a receiver scores 1 point for every 10 receiving yards and 6 points for every touchdown. Whereas a QB will receive 1 point every 25 passing yards and 4 points per touchdown pass. 

A lot of leagues now are "PPR" which means point per reception so in addition to yards your receiver gets 1 bonus point for every catch... so say Stef has a 25 yard touchdown catch he gets 9.5 points on that play alone. Allen gets 5 points for the same play. 

Is it why the QBs who go early are generally the ones who gain rush yards because it is 1 point for every 10 yards rushing too. So you will likely see Lamar and Kyler and maybe even Dak go before Rodgers and Brady.

Allen did lead the league in fantasy points last year though

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

In my league, passing TDs are 4 points while rushing and receiving TDs are 6 points.

Considering the 30+ passing TDs we expect/hope Allen gets this season and the 5+ rushing TDs... why is he a bad pick at #1 exactly?

He isn't a terrible pick at #1 because he will get rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, but a running back or even a top 3 receiver (Diggs, Hopkins, Adams) is better. And it comes down not just to points they get but the points over replacement. 

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Allen did lead the league in fantasy points last year though

Yea I believe in standard scoring that is right. I had him in 3 leagues last year he tore it up. I had one with him and Stef. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't a terrible pick at #1 because he will get rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, but a running back or even a top 3 receiver (Diggs, Hopkins, Adams) is better. And it comes down not just to points they get but the points over replacement. 

Screw it... I said I'd take him at #1... I'm doing it *****! It's only a 10 person league... maybe I can get Kamara or Diggs or Adams or Kamara at the top of the 2nd.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I believe in standard scoring that is right. I had him in 3 leagues last year he tore it up. I had one with him and Stef. 

Ya I won my main league. Even though I had the 2nd pick and took Saquon in 1st rd and he played 1 game. 

Allen and Kelce won it for me

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Screw it... I said I'd take him at #1... I'm doing it *****! It's only a 10 person league... maybe I can get Kamara or Diggs or Adams or Kamara at the top of the 2nd.

They will all be gone if it is snake draft. Because you will pick #1 and then #20 and #21. In that second and third round if you are taking Allen first you want a 2nd tier running back and a 2nd tier receiver or a top tier tight end IMO (Kelce, Kittle, Waller are the only 3 to consider). 

Backs worth that spot - Jonathan Taylor, CEH, Josh Jacobs. 

Receivers - Calvin Ridley, Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown.... I did a draft yesterday where I went #1 and I got DK Metcalf at #20 but have seen him taken higher too.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You'd be picking at the bottom of rd 2. You don't pick 1st each round 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes Diggs over Allen. 

I’m not in a league.  My wife is, so I’m a casual observer.  If a QB averages the same or more points per game than a RB over the course of a season, then isn’t that a good thing?  So if you’re picking 9th or 10th and everyone ahead of you chooses the top RBs and WRs then why not go for Mahomes or Allen? Steady point production every week, no?

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

I’m not in a league.  My wife is, so I’m a casual observer.  If a QB averages the same or more points per game than a RB over the course of a season, then isn’t that a good thing?  So if you’re picking 9th or 10th and everyone ahead of you chooses the top RBs and WRs then why not go for Mahomes or Allen? Steady point production every week, no?

It is the points over replacement point as well though. Kind of easier to find consistent production in the 2nd tier of QBs. Especially as against backs. The way the the league is going now the pool of viable running backs thins out pretty fast because so few teams are run heavy with a clear #1 bellcow.

I have always been a QB later guy though so I am probably not the guy to ask. 

10 hours ago, nucci said:

1st mistake is doing a snake draft and not auction draft. Snake limits who you can draft

Love snake drafts. 

So much strategy to it in terms of what to do at a certain draft spot.

But I know what you are saying, it can be frustrating. Especially when RBS fly off the board and you have pick 11 or 12.

Edited by BillsFan130