Belichick has only one active QB

Albany,n.y.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:37 PM, Limeaid said:

What this means is teams will take extra shots on rookie QB in a game when the QB has no backup in a game especially on teams which coaching staff is not secure.

This must be why Brian Flores was meeting with Gregg Williams.

meh. We have to assume one will be active 53 come game day so if you have a strong enough relationship to wrangle this for a minute to give an extra roster spot while shuffling statuses at cut day - so be it. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure he could now. The Cleveland, Houston, Chicago era Hoyer could. I don't think at almost 36 he is that guy anymore.

We had years with a solid line, run game and defense and people here were saying we should contend for a wildcard. That is what people are saying about New England too. I wouldn't be stunned if New England missed the playoffs but I'd be surprised of they don't win 8 or 9 games.

Unless you are Scott Pioli who has the Pats winning the division this year 🤣 but yeah, 8 or 9 games sounds about right to me.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Unless you are Scott Pioli who has the Pats winning the division this year 🤣 but yeah, 8 or 9 games sounds about right to me.

Yes I saw Pioli's prediction. He said he thinks the Bills are great and gave us the first wildcard spot but basically then said "but I'm a Pats homer and Bill's my buddy so they win the division." Lolz. 

31 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

On one side, the pats blogosphere is super high on Jones' decisionmaking, accuracy, and leadership.  On the other hand, they said the same things about Stidham until he actually had to play football.

While this is true let's not confuse Mac Jones's talent level with Jarret Stidham's. Jones was a consensus first round quarterback, who threw for 44 touchdowns his senior year, whereas it was a surprise when the Patriots took Jarret Stidham in the 4th round (I certainly had like a very late day 3 grade and I know a number of others who did too) and he threw 18 touchdowns his final year at Auburn. I get it, Auburn isn't Alabama, but Mac Jones is every way round a more talented prospect than Stidham, even if New England fans are definitely a little overexcited about him at this stage. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

On one side, the pats blogosphere is super high on Jones' decisionmaking, accuracy, and leadership.  On the other hand, they said the same things about Stidham until he actually had to play football.

What Patriot fan said this?? Stidham at one point last season was behind Newton and Hoyer. He barely ever saw the field last season. How could a Pats fans hype him if they never saw him!?

I remember pats fans wanting him to play cause the thought was he had to be better than Newton and Hoyer ....

Edited by Ghost_002!

On 9/1/2021 at 9:51 PM, goober said:

Is that strategically getting around limits or having garbage backup QBs 

Why can’t it be both? Lol

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes I saw Pioli's prediction. He said he thinks the Bills are great and gave us the first wildcard spot but basically then said "but I'm a Pats homer and Bill's my buddy so they win the division." Lolz. 

While this is true let's not confuse Mac Jones's talent level with Jarret Stidham's. Jones was a consensus first round quarterback, who threw for 44 touchdowns his senior year, whereas it was a surprise when the Patriots took Jarret Stidham in the 4th round (I certainly had like a very late day 3 grade and I know a number of others who did too) and he threw 18 touchdowns his final year at Auburn. I get it, Auburn isn't Alabama, but Mac Jones is every way round a more talented prospect than Stidham, even if New England fans are definitely a little overexcited about him at this stage. 

Hey after a year of Cam Newton throwing the ball over heads or into the ground we are excited by accuracy.. lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:37 PM, Limeaid said:

What this means is teams will take extra shots on rookie QB in a game when the QB has no backup in a game especially on teams which coaching staff is not secure.

This must be why Brian Flores was meeting with Gregg Williams.

Belichick will be elevating a backup from the practice squad for each game.

This is just his dodge to carry an extra player on the roster until someone gets hurt or he gets real-season evaluation of a couple players and decides who to axe, made possible by the fact that he has backups no other team wants to poach who are willing to forfeit guaranteed salary and take PS pay

58 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

What Patriot fan said this?? Stidham at one point last season was behind Newton and Hoyer. He barely ever saw the field last season. How could a Pats fans hype him if they never saw him!?

I remember pats fans wanting him to play cause the thought was he had to be better than Newton and Hoyer ....

It's not news to the denizens here I have a couple good friends who are very long time Pats fans.  Going into 2019 with speculation high this was Brady's last season, they told me there was intense speculation about Stidham, and word he had looked better than Garrapolo ever had in practice and could perhaps replace Brady, among their fellow Pats fans. 

I watched several Belichick pressers in 2019 and in every one there was some variation of a question about "and how is Stidham coming along?"

When 2020 rolled around and he was #3 on the depth chart, it became evident to the most hopeful of these fans that was likely not true (or if true, wasn't translateing to the field) and the drafting of Jones clinched it.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not news to the denizens here I have a couple good friends who are very long time Pats fans.  Going into 2019 with speculation high this was Brady's last season, they told me there was intense speculation about Stidham, and word he had looked better than Garrapolo ever had in practice and could perhaps replace Brady, among their fellow Pats fans. 

I watched several Belichick pressers in 2019 and in every one there was some variation of a question about "and how is Stidham coming along?"

When 2020 rolled around and he was #3 on the depth chart, it became evident to the most hopeful of these fans that was likely not true (or if true, wasn't translateing to the field) and the drafting of Jones clinched it.

I could see him being better than Jimmy G in practice n preseason games. Jimmy G was the type to perform better during real games..

But BB pretty much showed everyone what he thought of Stidham early. Picking up Newton late in the off season, the Chiefs game where Hoyer was God awful and BB still waited to late sec half to put Stidham in the game. Or the dozen times Newton didn't look good. Stidham still never really got in.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

I could see him being better than Jimmy G in practice n preseason games. Jimmy G was the type to perform better during real games..

But BB pretty much showed everyone what he thought of Stidham early. Picking up Newton late in the off season, the Chiefs game where Hoyer was God awful and BB still waited to late sec half to put Stidham in the game. Or the dozen times Newton didn't look good. Stidham still never really got in.

I agree with you about the evaluation revealed by Belichick's QB decisions in 2020.

My point is, there was a time during 2019 when Pats fans legitimately thought Stidham might be "all that and a bag of chips" and were saying glowing things about him - in 2019 preseason, reports from practice etc.

6 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Yes but there was a time when the noise about Stidham was unavoidable. He failed to pan out pretty quickly, but it happened.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with you about the evaluation revealed by Belichick's QB decisions in 2020.

My point is, there was a time during 2019 when Pats fans legitimately thought Stidham might be "all that and a bag of chips" and were saying glowing things about him - in 2019 preseason, reports from practice etc.

I would take your word for it.

20 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Yes but there was a time when the noise about Stidham was unavoidable. He failed to pan out pretty quickly, but it happened.

I would take your word for it. I never heard it or got the vibe..but then again a fan is gonna fan..I sure you guys know that from your own fan base

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Hey after a year of Cam Newton throwing the ball over heads or into the ground we are excited by accuracy.. lol 

You won't get any sympathy around here. When you've watched EJ "media tent" Manuel it is even possible to convince yourself Kyle "the slide" Orton is legit.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wow just checked on Hoyer.  Since 2016 he has a 1-12 record as a starter.

Yea and that is the problem with those high end game manager backup types. They don't have to decline a lot before they are not even serviceable. At a slightly higher level the same happened to Dalton. A league average game manager who once he lost even 5% of his ball velocity and mobility went very quickly to nothing more than a backup.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

On 9/1/2021 at 9:49 PM, Cruiserplayer said:

In our fantasy league Bill never drafts a kicker or dst. He is always bending the rules.

And we're supposed to believe him when he said being unvaccinated had nothing to do with Cam being cut. Yeah, and I have some ocean front property for sale.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Belichick will be elevating a backup from the practice squad for each game.

This is just his dodge to carry an extra player on the roster until someone gets hurt or he gets real-season evaluation of a couple players and decides who to axe, made possible by the fact that he has backups no other team wants to poach who are willing to forfeit guaranteed salary and take PS pay

Hoyer knows he's good for 2 real paychecks the 1st 2 weeks of the season & then he's either going to be signed to the 53 or released.  It's better than nothing.  As long as Jones stays healthy BB can do this for 2 weeks with Gilbert & 2 more for the next 2 games with whatever bum of the month they want to sign to the practice squad for the next 2 games.  After that Stidham comes back from PUP & then they sign some other younger street free agent to the practice squad.  Who knows, by then Nathan Peterman may be available for the Patriots practice squad.  

13 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

and they may have been right.  Stidham is the only one of the 3 collecting a full paycheck from NE every week.