AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The article says if a new stadium isn't projected to be ready by 2023? Lol. I can answer that right now, it won't be ready by 2023.

Yeah I was confused by that too. I thought the current plan/expectation is 2025.

I was listening to WGR this morning and they were saying it would cost an extra billion dollars to put a dome on the stadium, and that's why the Pegulas don't want it. 

Is that true?  I thought a dome was an extra 400 mil.  Not chump change, but still better than a Billion

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I was listening to WGR this morning and they were saying it would cost an extra billion dollars to put a dome on the stadium, and that's why the Pegulas don't want it. 

Is that true?  I thought a dome was an extra 400 mil.  Not chump change, but still better than a Billion

Yeah they were incorrect or you heard wrong. It'll be about a billion more for a downtown domed stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah they were incorrect or you heard wrong. It'll be about a billion more for a downtown domed stadium.

That's what I thought too.  I knew the downtown stadium would cost a lot because of taxes and having to clear the area.

With how much empty space is in Buffalo, I actually was okay with a downtown stadium if they did it right.  Clear off a bunch of land and plant grass for tailgating.  Use the 3 years to adjust the in and out roads, then build each of the top 5 wing places around it.  That would be a destination year round. 

However, I just don't think the fans can afford those PSL's or tickets.  I'm worried about that as it is.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

However, I just don't think the fans can afford those PSL's or tickets.  I'm worried about that as it is.

The "right" fans will be able to afford them and will pay for them.  How or why this happens, I will never know.

There is no event for which I would pay money ... just to have the ability to pay MORE money on tickets.  It's asinine to me.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Better than GoFundMeDome.

I'd take the GoFundMeDome

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rams stadium is interesting though. I always thought that stadium was a retractable roof dome but it's more of a canopy. It's open air but the field and seating is covered.

I wonder if something like that is on the minds of the Pegulas. It'll still be cold and outdoors, but covered. Most believe it'll be more like Seattle.

outdoor and covered is nice also.  It's not the cold as much as cold rain that is intolerable, IMO.  

Just now, Gugny said:

The "right" fans will be able to afford them and will pay for them.  How or why this happens, I will never know.

There is no event for which I would pay money ... just to have the ability to pay MORE money on tickets.  It's asinine to me.

Just because everyone does it now doesn't make it less asinine. But money justifies everything, that's our ethics and the height of intellect I guess.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Just because everyone does it now doesn't make it less asinine. But money justifies everything, that's our ethics and the height of intellect I guess.

I'm not a season ticket holder, but I fully expect to be priced out when the new stadium is built - even for single game tickets.

It might even happen before then, because I am absolutely an early-season attendee.  I'll never spend money to be cold and miserable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think the Pegulas are going for the feeling of standing (or sitting I guess) on an outdoor covered porch for the fans. The field would be open but the seats covered. 

Yep, but there is enough technology and design ideas out there that should work in Buffalo. I would hope the powers that be are already vetting this stuff. They need to pay particular attention to recent designs in cold weather sites.  Here's a good example from Russia for soccer. 

https://aecom.com/without-limits/article/extreme-climate-sports/

The design is dominated by the stadium bowl and a consolidated VIP zone. The aim was to produce a tight, efficient bowl which would create an intimate fan experience, and be highly cost effective to build. A two-tier rectilinear design, which places fans as close as possible to the pitch, was chosen to generate an intense atmosphere and contribute to the team’s home field advantage. The VIP boxes, banqueting suites and Presidential lounges are all banked together over three floors on one side of the stadium, a direct response to the Russian tradition of hospitality and networking.

Designing for extremes

Designing for the extremes of Moscow’s weather on structures of this scale is particularly challenging. Snowfalls in Moscow are very high; the snow freezes onto roof structures throughout the winter and the weight builds up as rain and meltwater is trapped within it through the daily freeze-thaw cycle. A further critical aspect is allowing for movement due to thermal effects. Moscow is subject to an extreme temperature range — from -40˚C in winter to +40˚ C in summer —and the roof has been designed to breathe to accommodate these thermal movements.

Cost effective, lighter and simpler construction

To minimize the size of structural members and reduce the self-weight of the roof, a series of water-flume modeling tests of the snow drift distribution on the roof were conducted. This enabled the design of the roof to be based on a more accurate understanding of the actual roof loadings. Coupled with advanced parametric design techniques to optimize the structural design, the resulting interlocking roof truss solution is highly cost effective. It is significantly lighter than other similar sized stadium roof structures in the region, yet relatively simple to construct.

This cost $420 million in 2014.  Obviously capacity would be more than the 45k and overall cost will be higher with the bells and whistles needed for NFL (and in today's dollars) but just trying to show there are cost effective and weather effective options that may not price out the average fan.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Agree fully.  I have SU season tickets.  Admittedly I sit in the nose bleeds.  Row R Center Court.  My tickets are 550/season (I pay for the seat back or it would be 500).  If I were to move down to row M or lower in the same exact section I would have to give a "donation" on top of the price of tickets almost doubling the total cost.  Absolutely ridiculous to sit 5 rows ahead of where I do. 

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

400 million for dome and around 500M for downtown.  

They have all but settled for not downtown it sounds like.  

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think the Pegulas are going for the feeling of standing (or sitting I guess) on an outdoor covered porch for the fans. The field would be open but the seats covered. 

This removes the wind element but keeps the cold which is perfect 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.