AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

Playing outdoors has no effect on a QB's career or team success. Give it up, people.

They need to build a great team no matter where they play.

If they design it right, the new stadium will no longer have the swirling wind effects. There will also be an overhang to cover fans, like the Seattle stadium. 

You'll be alright.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Playing outdoors has no effect on a QB's career or team success. Give it up, people.

Agreed.  Spending an extra $300m on a stadium that will be around for 40+ years should not take into account how the current team is constructed.  And it takes far less money for McBeane to build an effective ground game, which the Bills should do anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If they design it right, the new stadium will no longer have the swirling wind effects. There will also be an overhang to cover fans, like the Seattle stadium. 

You'll be alright.

And get rid of the MFing cupholders. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Build a dome. Late January / early February games in the snow is not ideal for Allen in a QB driven passing league.

The stubborn idea that we benefit more from bitter terrible weather is silly. We lost the Chiefs game in the rain last year, we lost the pats game in the wind this year.

1 lost us home field advantage against the chiefs in the AFCCG game, and the other lost us the division (potentially temporarily).

Allen is probably as good in bad weather as anyone could be, but you need a running game to take advantage of real bad conditions.

Admittedly, I've been a Pro-Dome fan for close to 20 years...and before anyone asks, I was in junior high and high school during the Bills' great Super Bowl runs and recall the Raiders game, the Greatest Comeback game, and others that were played in the coldest of weather. But in the contemporary NFL and the way the game has changed visually as well, I just cannot believe in or support the logic to spend all of the money on a stadium and for it NOT to be a dome in Buffalo / Orchard Park, NY.

I certainly would understand in other places and I certainly understand if the league was still trying to find their financial footing, but this league is only going to continue to grow and grow as it has over the last 20 years. If the Bills, and / or the county and state, are going to invest over a billion dollars for a stadium, then adding a few hundred million to that receipt for a dome that can withstand the weather and make it a pro-offense place to play in the NFL, only makes sense IMHO. We can debate all day, but again IMO that's like saying, "I'll pay the $100k for the Mercedes SUV, but I REFUSE to pay for extra sound system and Benz navigation!" Both add to the bottom line but by the time you've spent all that money, doesn't it make sense to just go the whole ride?

Lastly, I honestly don't believe anyone can make the argument that Josh and the Bills would play 'worse' football in a dome, whereas I think we can argue that we've seen some of Josh's worst games in the elements and conditions. Should he be able to play in Buffalo weather, or any weather for that matter? Yes, of course. But can we really argue that the team wouldn't benefit from a controlled environment and that's nothing to say what Bass could accomplish in a dome and that's just another example to say the kicking game would benefit as well, not to suggest it's a reason to build a dome vs. an open air stadium.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

A strong case can be made that we are actually WORSE than our opponents playing at home in bad weather.  With Josh Allen here, this team and offense will be a big aerial attack for more than a decade.  That will be wasted on an outdoor stadium.

I think being an outdoor stadium in such severe weather really mitigates any prolific aerial attack we build and takes away any advantage that might give us.  

#3 passing Offense last season without a dome. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Building a certain type of stadium based on the 2021 roster makes no sense.

It'll take years to build the damn thing, so that the rookie OL and DL we (hopefully) draft this April will be ready for their second contracts by the time the thing opens.

By the time the stadium is ready, the roster will look totally different. 

I love the initial idea of a totally covered fan section, which would offer protection from precipitation and likely some sort of heating, even though it's outdoors, with an open playing field. 

It's like a giant tailgate. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

#3 passing Offense last season without a dome. 

Whats our home record this year?  4-3

Who did we beat:  Washington, Texans, Miami, Carolina (all weaker opponents and none of these games were really poor weather and all but the Panthers game were early in the season when weather is typically better than later in the season and playoff time)

Who did we lose to:  Pitt, Colts, Pats (all good running teams, and all in poor to terrible weather conditions dealing with high winds and rain).  All games we struggled to throw the ball in the poor conditions.  

So yeah...stand by my original point. And considering home playoff games would also have a high probability to be played in bad weather, being a prolific passing attack gets negated at home.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Who did we beat:  Washington, Texans, Miami, Carolina (all weaker opponents and none of these games were really poor weather and all but the Panthers game were early in the season when weather is typically better than later in the season and playoff time)

Who did we lose to:  Pitt, Colts, Pats (all good running teams, and all in poor to terrible weather conditions dealing with high winds and rain).  All games we struggled to throw the ball in the poor conditions.  

So yeah...stand by my original point. And considering home playoff games would also have a high probability to be played in bad weather, being a prolific passing attack gets negated at home.  

It gets negated for both teams though and should get negated less for us because our qb has a monstrous arm.  This season seems like we are just choking in all the big moments and losing all the close games to me so far home or road…hopefully that turns around

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think there's been a significant change in the local weather patterns in the past year.

But...If a big armed stud like Josh can't handle the occasional bad weather game then the Bills need to move on.  Maybe they make a play for Rodgers--he doesn't have these limitations to his game.  Or maybe Brady wants out of Tampa next year--he's the best foul/snow weather QB ever...!  He rolled into Green Bay in the dead of winter and outdueled the Packers last year.

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  Spending an extra $300m on a stadium that will be around for 40+ years should not take into account how the current team is constructed.  And it takes far less money for McBeane to build an effective ground game, which the Bills should do anyway.  

I have not heard any estimate where it will cost only an extra $300 million for a dome.

Some start a GoFundMe for a dome but don't skim $100,000 of money like handlers for Dalton's charity.

This thing needs to be built for two realities, for what things are going to look like 40 years from now.

1) Climate change / global warming. Wetter and warmer. More weather extremes. More rain and snow. 

2) The addition of another week to the NFL season to bring it to 18 weeks, and possibly a second bye week if the league is smart wrt giving players rest and allow for changes in scheduling as COVID looks like it will become an endemic thing. This pushes the season into late February.

3) The concrete from the renovation just 10+ years ago is already failing. The weather in the region just beats up things that left in the elements. Plastic seating gets ☀️ and bitter cold and gets brittle. Heating elements in chairs break down. Turf lifespan is reduced. 

4) If they’re already planning on putting coverage over the seating to protect fans from weather, that will require much of the structure that a retractable roof needs.

When you’re building something this big and rare, build it right.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think there's been a significant change in the local weather patterns in the past year.

But...If a big armed stud like Josh can't handle the occasional bad weather game then the Bills need to move on.  Maybe they make a play for Rodgers--he doesn't have these limitations to his game.  Or maybe Brady wants out of Tampa next year--he's the best foul/snow weather QB ever...!  He rolled into Green Bay in the dead of winter and outdueled the Packers last year.

Brady rolled into New England this year and was unstoppable against them this year right?

Aaron Rodgers throws for 300 yards and 4 TD's in the same weather that we played in MNF this year against the Pats?  Winds not that big of a deal where Mac Jones throws 3 times?  

Lambeau faces the same winds as Buffalo?

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Brady rolled into New England this year and was unstoppable against them this year right?

Aaron Rodgers throws for 300 yards and 4 TD's in the same weather that we played in MNF this year against the Pats?  Winds not that big of a deal where Mac Jones throws 3 times?  

Let's be real.. if you construct this team correctly playing in Buffalo is 100% to our advantage especially with Josh

The ball coming out of Josh's hands is better than the ball coming out of any other quarterback's hands ... I've never seen anyone spin a football like Josh

Josh to diggs 50 yd downfield in the hands.. with 45 mph gusts.. there's not a quarterback alive that can make that throw besides him

I've never seen anybody make that throw my entire life

Surround Josh with an offensive line.. give him a running back.. we will be damn near impossible to beat at home in January

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

what was brady's December record at home in NE?

Mac Jones isn't Brady

bad weather comes in many forms.  was it different wind in Buffalo last year? 

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

A strong case can be made that we are actually WORSE than our opponents playing at home in bad weather.  With Josh Allen here, this team and offense will be a big aerial attack for more than a decade.  That will be wasted on an outdoor stadium.

I think being an outdoor stadium in such severe weather really mitigates any prolific aerial attack we build and takes away any advantage that might give us.  

Respectfully...

Kelly, Brady and Elway (among others) had Hall of Fame careers built on prolific passing attacks in outdoor, cold weather stadium. Peyton Manning, who played the majority of his career indoors, had the best year of his career playing at Mile High in Denver. Currently, Patrick Mahomes has an incredibly prolific aerial attack in Kansas City, and things get rather cold, windy, and rainy/snowy there, too (as we saw when we played them earlier this season).

This idea that prolific passing attacks can't thrive in outdoor stadiums doesn't hold water for me. Above and beyond that, though, I just don't see it as likely that the extra cost and red tape necessary to build a dome would make things any EASIER in terms of getting a budget passed and a stadium built. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.