Interesting Drew Bledsoe career recap

Yo....he was a damn statue and sometime came off a little....I dunno. Snobby? BUT when the dude BLEW UP Mo Lewis on a block as a Bill, I Believe the season after Mo Lewis essentially blew up....Drew's CHEST when he was a Pat....I loved the guy.

I wish I could find footage of the block. If you google anything like that...you know the clip you get! I don't even recall if it was our first or second game against Jets in 02.  And like most QB blocks, if my memory serves right....it was KIND of blindside....but he BLEW MO UP.

• Like (+1) 1

No knock on Jim Kelly (still "Mr Buffalo Bill"), but prior to the season Allen had in 2020, I don't know that any Bills QB in my lifetime put together a better 8 game stretch than Bledsoe had in 2002.  He made throws that very few QB's could make... that pass to Peerless Price in OT of that Vikings game is still, for me, one of the prettiest passes I have ever seen... too bad we didn't get him a year or two earlier.  The game was a little different then, than it is today.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Yo....he was a damn statue and sometime came off a little....I dunno. Snobby? BUT when the dude BLEW UP Mo Lewis on a block as a Bill, I Believe the season after Mo Lewis essentially blew up....Drew's CHEST when he was a Pat....I loved the guy.

I wish I could find footage of the block. If you google anything like that...you know the clip you get! I don't even recall if it was our first or second game against Jets in 02.  And like most QB blocks, if my memory serves right....it was KIND of blindside....but he BLEW MO UP.

YE OLE remembers the block well… week 1 of 02 season. It was Jason Ferguson that Drew just absolutely decleated 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here is what you need to know about Bledsoe: When he arrived I was a member at a local Country Club. Bills had a Saturday nite preseason game and I was golfing Sunday AM. Bledsoe was playing in front of me with a local Bills alumni who I had gotten to know. Play always bunches at 10 and we caught up with with both of them and I get introduced to Bledsoe. I said welcome and asked they do film review on Sunday....he told me that he already had forgotten more than the coaching staff knew....in a more than serious but not manner....He had already checked out.

Edited by TH3
  • Like (+1) 1

Feel a bit sorry for Bledsoe. He was a real savior to NE fans after so long being irrelevant. He got them to a SB, had good numbers for them and would probably be a legend there. Then he gets injured on a freak play and gets replaced by some unknown who ends up being the best ever. 

22 minutes ago, Buftex said:

No knock on Jim Kelly (still "Mr Buffalo Bill"), but prior to the season Allen had in 2020, I don't know that any Bills QB in my lifetime put together a better 8 game stretch than Bledsoe had in 2002.  He made throws that very few QB's could make... that pass to Peerless Price in OT of that Vikings game is still, for me, one of the prettiest passes I have ever seen... too bad we didn't get him a year or two earlier.  The game was a little different then, than it is today.  

I remember that Vikings game so clearly. Nearly 20 years ago! Crazy. I was going nuts at the end there. Over 450 yards passing. I might have to go and watch the highlights of that now

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

The game is very different indeed, which is also why traditional pocket QB's like Bledsoe are near extinct in this league with all the big armed, mobile guys like Mahomes, Allen, etc now being the 'prototypical' NFL QB so to speak.

• Like (+1) 1

Always liked Bledsoe as I think he's a standup guy, as is EJ Manual, Tyrod, etc. And, no question he had a great eight game stretch. But, him being a statue that held the ball too long was always an issue even in his best years in NE. He never was going to be great unless he had one of the best lines ever. I remember when we traded for him my boss, who was from Boston, said exactly that. I suspect Bellicheat was already thinking of replacing him before the injury. If you remember, the Cheater replaced Kosar while he was still very popular in Cleveland with Vinny T. even though he had done nothing at that point in his career.

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I met Bledsoe's Dad, in Lot 1 before a game, back in the 2003 season. Bledsoe was already in decline, and his Dad talked about it, in pretty frank terms. Seemed like a real nice man..

Really?  What did his dad say about him?

It seemed that he was never the same QB after losing in the Super Bowl and I don’t think he ever saw the postseason again as starter.  

In 2003, the Week 1 power rankings were a Bills/Bucs Superbowl. That 31-0 win with Sam Adams return TD. Lawyer Milloy was a game week FA sign. It was insane. I bet it was what really started the spy gate. Next week was another blowout win against the Jags. The game against Miami was what did him in. Ricky Williams got 30+ carriers in really awful heat. They took away the deep ball and rushed 3 knowing Bledsoe couldn't run and had short to mid accuracy problems. But for a while it was awesome. I remember seeing Brady in Week 2 of that year against the Jets and feeling sorry for him, like well his time's over now, time for the next guy. Those two weeks in 2003 were sure something though.

I recall Bledsoe and the Bills being very hot, then came a game against the Pats and Belecheat unveiled the defensive game plan to neutralize Bledsoe.  They kicked our tails and the season headed into the toilet from there as week after week, defenses put pressure up the middle, moving Bledsoe and rendering him ineffective.

People forget there is no SB win by Brady against the Rams without a come from behind come off the bench victory by Bledsoe on the road at Pittsburgh 

17 hours ago, TH3 said:

Here is what you need to know about Bledsoe: When he arrived I was a member at a local Country Club. Bills had a Saturday nite preseason game and I was golfing Sunday AM. Bledsoe was playing in front of me with a local Bills alumni who I had gotten to know. Play always bunches at 10 and we caught up with with both of them and I get introduced to Bledsoe. I said welcome and asked they do film review on Sunday....he told me that he already had forgotten more than the coaching staff knew....in a more than serious but not manner....He had already checked out.

His coach was Greg Williams. Bledsoe was right he did know more than Greggo did.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow.  I don't usually watch those old videos (don't have the time), but I watched some of this one.  That was one incredible football game.  Some impressive plays by Bledsoe, Josh Reed, and Peerless Price.  How about some Kendrick Office?  And I didn't remember Mike Hollis kicking for the Bills, but that was one clutch kick to sent it into OT.  He missed a winner in OT, but it looked like a high snap threw off the timing.  Great finish.  Too bad Bledsoe was only able to play like this for a half-season.

Edited by msw2112