PostGame Thread Bills @ Bears

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

When Spencer Brown gets polished, his speed (and, obviously, size) is going to make him a baddass tackle.

Steal of the draft! (lol, @Zerovoltz)

My steal of the draft, until I see otherwise, is Gregory Rousseau. Because you do not get that type of  talent at a premium position like pass rusher at the bottom of the 1st round. No offense to the late round pick guard from Tennessee on the chiefs (trey smith was very heavily recruited by Ohio state at OT, so I knew of him, I’m not surprised he’s a good nfl player)

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My steal of the draft, until I see otherwise, is Gregory Rousseau. Because you do not get that type of  talent at a premium position like pass rusher at the bottom of the 1st round. No offense to the late round pick guard from Tennessee on the chiefs (trey smith was very heavily recruited by Ohio state at OT, so I knew of him, I’m not surprised he’s a good nfl player)

I agree entirely (I was just trolling Zero). The awesome thing about Rousseau for me is how raw he still looked in the last two preseason games-- but still a sack vs. starters in each game. Imagine what he's going to look like with some polish!

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile our lord and savior has 31 fumbles in 44 games.

In 2020, Josh had 10 INTs and 9 fumbles in 1035 touches.   Less than 2%.   I'm sure his coach was perfectly satisfied with that.  

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Ya know, I posted a thread back in July positing that a Bills team comprised of its backup players would actually be competitive…this team is deep.

it struck me at some point while it was our two's vs their one’s that we looked like we’d beat them in a full game… and i thought we’d probably be a competitive team in general. 

Very impressed with how Beane has built the youth of our trenches in these past 2 drafts.  

Epenesa/Rousseau look like high end players and Basham has the ability to become a strong rotation DE.  

Spencer Brown has best tackle in the NFL potential.  Typically teams don’t draft development guys that high, but it looks like Beane planning for the future with a high pick could pay huge dividends. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

In 2020, Josh had 10 INTs and 9 fumbles in 1035 touches.   Less than 2%.   I'm sure his coach was perfectly satisfied with that.  

I’m sure McD was very happy  He’s improved immensely in that department from his first two seasons.  Dunno if McKenzie can improve like Josh did, but if he can return a handful of punts and kicks for TDs, it could make allow him to keep his role.  Tremendous upside can sometimes offset the downside completely.  Would you trade 2-3 muffs for 3-4 TDs?  I don’t know if he can be THAT good of a returner, but he’s ability to gear up and down while keeping his ability to cut on a dime is ideal for the return role.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I'll add this here as well. Put it in the Rousseau thread too.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TPS said:

I'll add this here as well. Put it in the Rousseau thread too.

I was very impressed with Groot just watching casually but this video makes me see Basham is further ahead then I realized. I had no idea they doubled Basham and still could not move him out of position. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Very impressed with how Beane has built the youth of our trenches in these past 2 drafts.  

Epenesa/Rousseau look like high end players and Basham has the ability to become a strong rotation DE.  

Spencer Brown has best tackle in the NFL potential.  Typically teams don’t draft development guys that high, but it looks like Beane planning for the future with a high pick could pay huge dividends. 

Beane is THE man

Most of the Bills playing that 2nd game will be regulars even if not starters. The future looks BRIGHT. What a roster!

It's always tough, logically and certainly emotionally to make cuts, but wow, this year is gonna be even harder!

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think you just worry about him doing that in the postseason in a tight game that could lose it for your team…. 

For sure.  He can also win the game with a great return.

considering our coach, I think he’d rather have a lesser chance of a good return as long as there’s a lesser chance for turnover as opposed to the boom or bust big play, fumbler.  Especially with this team.  

I love me some McKenZie but he scares the crap out of me on returns 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was very impressed with Groot just watching casually but this video makes me see Basham is further ahead then I realized. I had no idea they doubled Basham and still could not move him out of position. 

There will be growing pains as they learn, but a pass rush of Rousseau, Basham, Oliver, and AJ is going to be fun to watch going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Considering the efficiency of the offense, I think they’d rather go with the more conservative option there and with a guy who’a less likely to muff/fumble over an explosive guy but who’s more prone to the muffs/fumbles.

Yeah…..that’s what I said . 😄

• Like (+1) 1

Just wanted to chime in here and say, the Bills additions to the pass rush are looking good early.  Having a pass rush that you didn't have last year....gets you A LOT closer to a super bowl.

I'm impressed with what you guys got in this draft.  Rouseau looks scary legit.

I hope KC's line is gelled by the time we play...we are going to need to be on our A game....

• Agree 1

Interesting Chicago perspective on the loss

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-buffalo-bills-justin-fields-andy-dalton-20210822-6qudnna7tzhpxa4gqgli777qli-story.html

(they want you to subscribe, but I could read the whole thing in a narrow window under the annoying pop-up "subscribe" window)

Of course they don't know the Bills, but I found it interesting that they note "10 Bears starters or key reserves didn't play at all and a handful of others were done by the time the first quarter ended" as a kind of apology  - but don't mention that at least 16 Bills starters didn't play at all, including the starting QB, the top 3 WR, the starting C, the starting RT, the starting 1TDT, both probable starting DE, both starting LB, and all four starting DB (with two starting DTs getting only 9% of the snaps and the starting LT and LG only 2 series).

I thought this guy put it succinctly: