Greatest Trade in NFL History [Misleading title]

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

Not to nit-pick, but the Tyrod trade to Cleveland was for an early 3rd rounder, which was used to trade up with our second 1st round pick in 2018 to acquire T. Edmunds.

The trade-up for Josh was very complex. Let me see if I can remember the sequence:

1. Traded with KC in 2017 to move down in the first and in return got KC's 2018 first rounder (plus more picks later in the draft). That 2018 first rounder turned out to be the 22nd overall pick.

2. After the 2017 season, traded Cordy Glenn to the Bengals and as part of that trade swapped 1st round picks. That moved us up from the #22 overall pick to #12.

3. The Bills had three 2nd round picks heading into 2018. I believe one of those was acquired from the Rams in exchange for Sammy Watkins the year before. I believe that the other came from the Eagles when we traded Darby to them. The other 2nd rounder was the Bills own 2nd round pick.

4. On draft day, the Bills traded up from that #12 pick acquired from Cinci (via KC) along with two of the 2nd round picks to move up to #7 overall to acquire Josh Allen.

Many things had to happen in order for Allen to still be there at #7. For once, the Buffalo Bills lucked out!

Thx. Absolutely correct. Great multiple trades by Beane. 

Hmm, not even close to the best trade of all time. Not even worth mentioning.

But we do have another current player that we acquired for one of the best trades for the franchise all time: Jerry Hughes. Great trade.

I'll also add that the McCoy trade was pretty good. Alonso skipped around on different teams and flamed out, actually becoming known as one of the dirtiest hitters in the league. McCoy had a few really good years in Buffalo.

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think the OP is meaning best trade ever in that both teams got huge wins from the trade....that rarely happens.

From that perspective...this may well be the biggest W-W trade in history.

KC got it's franchise QB, The Bills, even moving down to 27 in that draft, got an all pro CB, then the extra pick which helped to net them Josh Allen the following year...and Allen is a "Franchise QB" in every sense.

Lastly.....Chiefs fan love Mahomes, and Bills fans love Allen.  Neither fan base would trade one for the other....thats fine and again, just another sign of what a W / W trade this was.

There isn't a need to seriously debate their talents...they are both very takented players....and very revered by the fans of the teams and accross the NFL.  Mahomes and Allen are ELITE QB's.  

I am very happy for all the Bills fans...this is a great day for you and your franchise.  I'm looking forward to many more KC/Bills games and also looking foward to rooting on Allen and the Bills when they aren't playing KC.  He's great and fun to watch!   Congratulations and....yes..GREAT TRADE.

Zero, this has the makings of a Manning/Brady rivalry for the next 15 years.  I certainly hope so as I love you’re coach and respect you’re team.  We’ve both won, and we’ll see (In October), and in January.

This trade is a win-win for both franchises, but I still don't think it's the best trade in Bills history in terms of it being lopsided in the Bills favor.

The Bills getting Biscuit is the best trade in Bills history in terms of it being lopsided in the Bills favor.

Dickerson wasn't that good for the Colts and all the picks the Rams got out of the deal amounted to crap.

And at the time, everyone thought the Bills got the short end of the stick in that 3-team mega deal.

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I think a dumber trade was the Saints/Ditka giving away their whole draft for Ricky Williams. 

Good point, forgot about that one. At least Walker did something at a pro level.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

You can argue Beane moving up from 22 to 7 in the 2018 draft to get Allen were the greatest trades in Bills history.

Time will tell as the saying goes.

6 hours ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I'll stick with Josh Allen. I am not sold on Mahommes being the next Tom Brady. He was nothing special in the last Super Bowl. I am pretty sure the Chiefs will not go to 10 Super Bowls in a row and I would bet we will have our chances soon. Who knows? In 3 years Chiefs fans might be pining for Josh Allen

There is no other Tom Brady in TBD lifetimes. Mahomes didnt game manage, he led a team & WON a ring! Chiefs fans will pine for no other QB until Mahomes is probably really old. He may even have a few more by then. Love, sold on Mahomes or not, he's earned major respect for all the right reasons. 

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

This is technically correct......but essentially, at the time the Bills made the trade, it was with the aim to add ammo to get a QB in the 2018 draft.  When that approached, they had X ammo available to manuever around and the intent of having that ammo, and the moves they ultimately made, were calculated with the idea that they had options available to them when the time came.  Having that extra 1st rounder from KC factored into that quite a bit I would think.

If the Bills had completed the original plan & traded both 1st rounders and pick 53 to Denver for pick 5, you would have a point.  But since there was no part of the Mahomes to KC trade included in the trade with Tampa, having the extra 1st rounder was not a factor.  The bottom line was the Bills, who were about to fire their GM after the 2017 draft decided to let the new GM & his team select the QB of the future after Whaley's departure.  For all intents & purposes the Bills were preparing for the 2018 draft in 2017, and yes, they were loading up on picks, but they had to know KC's pick would not be very high in 2018.  Without the trade of Glenn to Cincinnati to move from 21 to 12, pick 22 wouldn't have helped anyway and as it turned out, it didn't.  

The more important point, going back to the original win-win premise is that the trade with Tampa was truly a win-win for both teams as Tampa used those picks to help them win the Super Bowl & the Bills got their franchise QB.  

5 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Not to nit-pick, but the Tyrod trade to Cleveland was for an early 3rd rounder, which was used to trade up with our second 1st round pick in 2018 to acquire T. Edmunds.

The trade-up for Josh was very complex. Let me see if I can remember the sequence:

1. Traded with KC in 2017 to move down in the first and in return got KC's 2018 first rounder (plus more picks later in the draft). That 2018 first rounder turned out to be the 22nd overall pick.

2. After the 2017 season, traded Cordy Glenn to the Bengals and as part of that trade swapped 1st round picks. That moved us up from the #22 overall pick to #12.

3. The Bills had three 2nd round picks heading into 2018. I believe one of those was acquired from the Rams in exchange for Sammy Watkins the year before. I believe that the other came from the Eagles when we traded Darby to them. The other 2nd rounder was the Bills own 2nd round pick.

4. On draft day, the Bills traded up from that #12 pick acquired from Cinci (via KC) along with two of the 2nd round picks to move up to #7 overall to acquire Josh Allen.

Many things had to happen in order for Allen to still be there at #7. For once, the Buffalo Bills lucked out!

You have too much time on your hands. Good research! You ARE a Bills fan!

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

You are 100% right, but homer’s gonna homer.  The Bills F*d up, they trade away the pick who is already on pace to be the greatest QB we have ever seen for a pick that turned into a good CB and a 1st rounder that’s not useful until packaged with others to get up to take a QB nobody was looking at in the year they traded away the pick that took the best QB in the league.  It was a bad trade, end of story.  To try to glorify it after the next GM saved it through a lot of hustling is absolute bs.

Where the Pegulas messed up was in not firing Whaley right after the 2016 season ending PC where he embarrassed himself & the team & having a new GM in place 3-4 months before the 2017 draft.  They were not prepared to properly scout the 2017 QB class because they had lost trust in Whaley to make the picks in 2017.  They couldn't pick a QB who wasn't the GM's guy.  Look at what happened with the Jets.  The new GM wanted his own QB & did just about everything he could to make Sam Darnold look bad.  The lack of offensive talent around Darnold last year was a disgrace & it was the GM's fault. So now he's got his own QB & decided to give him weapons Darnold never had since Douglas arrived & nobody knows if Darnold is a bust or has a future in Carolina. 

A team that is about to replace their GM in a few days is not going to want him picking the future QB.  They tied their own hands by keeping Whaley around 4 months too long.  The day they put a gag order on him was the day he should have been fired.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

1 change: Darby was traded for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd, not a 2nd.  The Bills had 2-2nd rounders & they both went to Tampa.  The 3rd from Philly was used for Harrison Phillips.  The Bills own 3rd was traded for Kelvin Benjamin.  

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Tyrod to Cleveland for a 2nd rounder. That’s what allowed us to move up for Josh (I believe)

I think we used that pick to move up from KC's pick to get Edmunds.

So basically Mahomes+Tyrod for Edmunds and White

OR think of it this way:

Mahomes

Tyrod

Cordy Glenn

Watkins

MJ Stewart (TB's selection with our 2nd rounder)

...for Allen, Edmunds, and White

• Like (+1) 1

Again........NONE of the picks acquired for Mahomes were utilized to acquire Allen.

You can say "you know" but if you don't know that they got the picks they used on Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds with the pick KC then used to select Mahomes and the first pick of the third round in 2018...........then you just don't know *****. :lol:

The reality is that the Bills traded the most valued player in the entire NFL to a conference rival.......and Mahomes then proceeded to win a SB and block the Bills from advancing to one.    Even later acquiring Allen......the Mahomes trade could block the Bills from numerous SB appearances/wins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again........NONE of the picks acquired for Mahomes were utilized to acquire Allen.

You can say "you know" but if you don't know that they got the picks they used on Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds with the pick KC then used to select Mahomes and the first pick of the third round in 2018...........then you just don't know *****. :lol:

The reality is that the Bills traded the most valued player in the entire NFL to a conference rival.......and Mahomes then proceeded to win a SB and block the Bills from advancing to one.    Even later acquiring Allen......the Mahomes trade could block the Bills from numerous SB appearances/wins.

/end thread.  

• Agree 1

• Chandler#81 changed the title to Greatest Trade in NFL History [Misleading title]

The Jimmy Johnson trade was the best of all time.  The worst, Ditka’s trade for Ganga Ricky.

I don’t know  why some of you debate endlessly on the Mahomes 17 trade and the trades in 18 for Allen.  We have in those 2 years a franchise LT in Dawkins, franchise CB in White, definitely a generational QB in Allen as he is the best thing in Bills history since Kelly and Bruce, and lastly I’m higher on Edmunds that many people.

We have built a great team.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The reality is that the Bills traded the most valued player in the entire NFL to a conference rival.......and Mahomes then proceeded to win a SB and block the Bills from advancing to one.    Even later acquiring Allen......the Mahomes trade could block the Bills from numerous SB appearances/wins

As always, your negative spin on everything is impressive. Keep up the bad work.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the OJ Simpson trade, which eventually netted us Jim Kelly!

In 1978 the Bills traded O.J. Simpson to the San Francisco 49ers, who gave us their second- and third-round picks in 1978, first- and fourth-round picks in 1979, and a 1980 second-round. Buffalo used those draft picks to acquire DE Scott Hutchinson and WR Danny Fulton in 1978, DE Tom Cousineau and DE Ken Johnson in 1979, and RB Joe Cribbs in 1980. The first overall pick in 1979, Cousineau, would never play for the Bills, opting to go to the CFL. When he returned to the NFL, the Bills were able to obtain the 14th overall pick in the 1983 NFL draft plus a pair of picks in 1984 from the Cleveland Browns. That 14th overall pick would become Jim Kelly.

Also, of note: