Stephon Gilmore wants more money.

TBBills

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I am in sales. If I went and told my boss to give me a raise because I was the top salesman in 2019, he would say that I should’ve been the top salesman in 2020 and he would consider it. Shouldn’t that also work in football?

I can’t say I really disagree with you. He will be 31 in September. How much will he get really? Many athletes start to fall off at that age.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Gilmore can want in one hand and 💩 in the other and see which one gets full quicker…, he is as good as gone from NE, this couldn’t happen to a more deserving team, may the distractions grow ever larger for those turds. 

Sounds like Gilmore and the Pats should keep some Donny 2-ply in the off-hand.

849346_o03_052021?pgw=1

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I got that.  Spanking you doesn't otherwise do it for me doc, lol.  Like swatting flies or eating potato chips.

Well then it's a good thing it rarely ever happens.  Except, of course, in your mind.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well then it's a good thing it rarely ever happens.  Except, of course, in your mind.

lol  it's happened 3 or 4 times in the past 2 days.  

No one digs a hole deeper than the doc!  

#doubledowndoc

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol  it's happened 3 or 4 times in the past 2 days.  

No one digs a hole deeper than the doc!  

#doubledowndoc

LOL!  Sure it has. 

As for digging a hole, how about Diggs not being a top-10 WR that you droned on incessantly about last off-season?  You sure thought you won that one.  Yet like always...

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

LOL!  Sure it has. 

As for digging a hole, how about Diggs not being a top-10 WR that you droned on incessantly about last off-season?  You sure thought you won that one.  Yet like always...

You had to go back 12 months for that, lo.  I had to go back 12 minutes for your latest L/flop.

But as for the Diggs issue--that was correctly settled by me at the time:  not a top 10 WR in 2019: he was 17th in total yards (15th for WR).  Missed a game, you say?  He wasn't even top 5 in WR with less than 16 games played..   Then you tried to add some imaginary yards based on "YPG"--another category in which he was (barely) top 10 only if you ignore the much better receiver (to that point) Kelce--and barely.  So...you were forced to argue that, if you eliminate Kelce, Waller (and Kittle)....and then add yards that Diggs didn't record for a game he didn't play, then he sits nicely at #10 for 2019!  Well played!  

keep "Digg"-ing , doc.  You're almost there!

#stepontherake

image.png.d7bc778d72ebc6c812afa5077b2480f4.png

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You had to go back 12 months for that, lo.  I had to go back 12 minutes for your latest L/flop.

But as for the Diggs issue--that was correctly settled by me at the time:  not a top 10 WR in 2019: he was 17th in total yards (15th for WR).  Missed a game, you say?  He wasn't even top 5 in WR with less than 16 games played..   Then you tried to add some imaginary yards based on "YPG"--another category in which he was (barely) top 10 only if you ignore the much better receiver (to that point) Kelce--and barely.  So...you were forced to argue that, if you eliminate Kelce, Waller (and Kittle)....and then add yards that Diggs didn't record for a game he didn't play, then he sits nicely at #10 for 2019!  Well played!  

keep "Digg"-ing , doc.  You're almost there!

#stepontherake

image.png.d7bc778d72ebc6c812afa5077b2480f4.png

What a pathetic attempt.  

#takethelossandmoveon

• Eyeroll 1

OF COURSE an upper-echelon CB entering the last--and least lucrative--year of his contract wants more guaranteed money before he steps on the field again. And especially of course if the CB in question is on the wrong side of 30. He's no dummy: he knows his current boss is historically (and probably correctly) objective and disloyal with respect to past production. Belichick will trade or cut or simply force you to play out your contract. 

And really, we all know Gilmore doesn't want to play under the pressure and risk of a "prove it" season (with the Pats or anyone else). He wants guarantees. He's already proven it enough to likely get some team to pay him, he figures. Time to get that last lump sum. Or, eff it. He's already rich. 

One of the reasons he’s paid $7 mil. Is they paid forward his contract to keep him happy.  I didn’t look up, but remember when he signed with the Pats it was for an avg. around $14 mil./yr.

He knows he’s over 30 as Noggin mentions, and thinks he might have the Pats over a barrel given their poor performance and will need him to get a winning season.  It’s true the Pats let people go early so this will be interesting to see what happens by August.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I said he was a good CB.  We'll have to agree to disagree about how excellent he was in Buffalo.  Again no accolades and a ***** attitude while there say otherwise.  Excellent talent will be recognized no matter who the coach is and what the team's record is, especially over 5 seasons.

Meanwhile Belicheat has always made CBs look better and unearthed gems.  JC Jackson is the next guy that's going to demand to be paid, although that will probably have to wait until next season, when there's more money.

You need to roll your eyes at the idiot who pays him early knowing he will not put effort at end of contract.

He is like Neon Deion who would not make effort to tackle and was made ineffective when defenses ran at him.

10 hours ago, Weatherman said:

He’s still the best CB in the league when healthy.  He is under paid no doubt but then again he signed a contract with the Pats so F him! 

Less being the best CB, more being able to get away with illegal contact on every other play because he plays for the Pats.  Seriously, pull up his videos and watch how he rides WRs down the field like a rodeo cowboy going for the full 8 seconds.  Hard to be open when the CB is practically giving you a full body massage for 15 yards.  His elite skill isn't the man coverage, it's his ability to position himself and dance the line of contact enough to have refs give him the benefit of the doubt of looking like it's the WR who is running into him.  At live full game speed it's not obvious to refs, but on replay it's clear as day.

It might be part of McBeane's focus on picking up great route runners in FA/trade, as Gilmore's rodeo act gets exposed when the WR fakes him out as he goes to lean into them.  Then you get the classic open arms and indignation at the safeties for not backing him up when he gets burned.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, TheProcess said:

What’s more interesting is that Miami has 2 corners in the top 10 and we beat the brakes off them last year. Love it. 

In the same way that the Bills have a bit of a matchup problem with the Chiefs the Dolphins have one with the Bills. Our strengths - receivers who can separate 1v1 and a defense that takes away the big play - cause them issues. Because their strengths are normally being able to cover on the outside without needing too much safety help and hitting chunk plays on offense because that is not an offense (or wasn't in 2020) that has enough talent to string together lots of long drives without making mistakes (let's see how they look with some more dynamism and natural separation outside in 2021 though). 

This is a matchup league. Nobody can have a perfect team. There will be teams out there that you suit and teams that you don't. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Less being the best CB, more being able to get away with illegal contact on every other play because he plays for the Pats.  Seriously, pull up his videos and watch how he rides WRs down the field like a rodeo cowboy going for the full 8 seconds.  Hard to be open when the CB is practically giving you a full body massage for 15 yards.  His elite skill isn't the man coverage, it's his ability to position himself and dance the line of contact enough to have refs give him the benefit of the doubt of looking like it's the WR who is running into him.  At live full game speed it's not obvious to refs, but on replay it's clear as day.

It might be part of McBeane's focus on picking up great route runners in FA/trade, as Gilmore's rodeo act gets exposed when the WR fakes him out as he goes to lean into them.  Then you get the classic open arms and indignation at the safeties for not backing him up when he gets burned.

I don't think he is still the best but Gilmore has been a top half dozen corner in the league most of his time in it. He got too much criticism in Buffalo - at times I felt I was the lone voice in the crowd (well not quite I had the now departed Bandit with me) - saying this guy is really good and then he had a couple of elite years in New England. He has been an elite man cover guy and every elite man cover guy has as part of their skillset the ability to be physical with receivers without drawing flags. 

The "he doesn't get flagged because he plays for New England" is way overblown. He got 12 flags as a Bill his rookie year. If you discount that year when he got flagged because he was still learning the NFL and did grab too often, he averages 1 penalty a year fewer in his 4 years in New England than he did in his other 4 years in Buffalo. It's something but it isn't much and it doesn't support the assertion that he gets away with a ton more because he is in New England. 

Have the patriots ever bowed down to their own player's demands?

Gilmore is good.  I get that... but with a new deal, you would be paying him top cb dollar well into his 30s (he is 31 now I think?).  The wheels come off at cb pretty quickly in the 30s.  I would especially be concerned coming off a lower extremity injury.  

1 year raise to keep him happy and you have the space?  Sure, I'd do it