Miami condo building falls down

\GoBillsInDallas/

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It did stand for 40 years.

No matter.

It should never collapse.

Code in place, if abided by, would prevent it.

The Miami construction industry is notorious for corruption.

The latest terminal at their airport was held up twice as the contracting company refused to bribe the construction group.

I have no idea what caused this, but I do know that the building industry in Miami is as corrupt as can be, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was found to not be to code.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Holy crap!  How does that happen?  Sinkhole of some sorts?

That close to water, how is foundation supported?  

It held for 40 years.  Has to be something way underground?  Why I mentioned sinkhole?  Is that possible?

The Romans are not impressed

• Haha (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I've read that there are still 99 people unaccounted for.

Unfortunately, it's 159 now.

Surfside building collapse latest: 159 still unaccounted for as death toll rises (msn.com)

Clearly the ground underneath the building was not stable, and looks like maybe there was a deep sink hole or something that gave away causing everything to move just enough for it to come crumbling down.

• Sad 3

I was watching an old episode of this season's Lego Masters (I am several episodes behind) and I see the next challenge will be doing 4' towers that they try and knock down via a simulated earthquake. My immediate thought was that Fox must be so relieved that the episode had already already aired - can you imagine broadcasting a show about knocking down Lego buildings in the aftermath of this tragedy in Florida?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Romans, Egyptians, Greeks and several other ancient civilizations were unbelievable experts at engineering.

Roman concrete strengthens over time.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/geology/roman-concrete-seawater-043432/

Just think... Will be living in the sea sooner than later with regard to climate change.  This may come in handy! 😉

2 hours ago, The Avenger said:

I was watching an old episode of this season's Lego Masters (I am several episodes behind) and I see the next challenge will be doing 4' towers that they try and knock down via a simulated earthquake. My immediate thought was that Fox must be so relieved that the episode had already already aired - can you imagine broadcasting a show about knocking down Lego buildings in the aftermath of this tragedy in Florida?

It would probably bring more views.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Romans, Egyptians, Greeks and several other ancient civilizations were unbelievable experts at engineering.

Roman concrete strengthens over time.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/geology/roman-concrete-seawater-043432/

Awesome article.

Roman cement had calcium-aluminum-silicate-hydrate while modern Portland cement only has calcium-silicate-hydrate.

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just think... Will be living in the sea sooner than later with regard to climate change.  This may come in handy! 😉

Are you forgetting you don't believe in climate change?  Since you argue against everything I can see how you'd lose track.

• Eyeroll 1

Engineer Warned of ‘Major Structural Damage’ at Florida Condo Complex 

A consultant in 2018 urged the managers to repair cracked columns and crumbling concrete. The work was finally about to get underway when the building collapsed. 

nytimes.com/2021/06/26/us/miami-building-collapse-investigation.html

Yikes. Both the management board and original designer / engineer are in some real trouble here...

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 2

High priced place to live and yet 2 years to even begin repairs... Now they are being sued by everyone that lived there and family of the deceased.

Maybe when you get professionals telling you to do something immediately they won't wait a few years. 

Same thing happened with the bridges in this country until some of them collapsed.

Edited by TBBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.