Lotuleilei Work Out Video: Not retiring [Edit] At Minicamp

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

"dieting..."

It seems like this regime wants all of our DL to "slim down." They even mentioned it with Rosseau. I wonder if that's why Epenesa was so thin last year.

I think they want them to have a certain target body fat composition.

I think Epenesa's problem is that he's still a young man with a young man metabolism, and he went on a NFL-level strength training program without an NFL-level eating program in place to support it - I'm sure they gave him targets and recommendations but it's one thing to be told to eat 8x a day and another to have someone handing you an almond-butter laced smoothie the minute you walk in the door, and the minute you finish your lifting, and another along with a boxed dinner to take home.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Epenesa's problem is that he's still a young man with a young man metabolism, and he went on a NFL-level strength training program without an NFL-level eating program in place to support it - I'm sure they gave him targets and recommendations but it's one thing to be told to eat 8x a day and another to have someone handing you an almond-butter laced smoothie the minute you walk in the door, and the minute you finish your lifting, and another along with a boxed dinner to take home.

That makes sense... I am always amazed at how much work it is for professional athletes to eat enough to replace calories. 

Here's an article that details The Rock's eating regimen. As much as I love food, just the eating part sounds exhausting! 

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/fitness/the-rock-diet-and-workout-plan

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

your comparing apples to oranges. AJ is a DE not a DT.  he is 22 years old how much more bone growth you want? statistically most are done growing by 21.  Don't know why people think players play at DT in college and first year or 2 in nfl and think they going to gain much more weight.  Ed Oliver is another example couple years ago... everyone thought he should get more weight...

They are what they are.

11 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

your comparing apples to oranges. AJ is a DE not a DT.  he is 22 years old how much more bone growth you want? statistically most are done growing by 21.  Don't know why people think players play at DT in college and first year or 2 in nfl and think they going to gain much more weight.  Ed Oliver is another example couple years ago... everyone thought he should get more weight...

They are what they are.

Tell that to Kent Hull. Not sure if I have another example off the top of my head of a guy who needed a redshirt season to substantially bulk up. There are many more examples of guys shedding weight dramatically, like our own Lorenzo Alexander. 

Athletes in their 20s (and then, unfortunately, later in their 30s) can experience all kinds of physical growth and/or especially metabolic, body composition changes (some might lean out, others might continue to fill out, and still others might not change much). 

I don't know if the data supports your sweeping claim, or if it's much more nuanced than that. My hunch is the latter.

56 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

They are what they are.

I'd agree thats usually true, but look at Biscuit when he came in the league and his body in year 3, same with Moulds, Bruce etc.

The one narrative that I think is B.S. is that AJ miraculously lost more weight than he was supposed to.  Like he woke up one day and was 15lbs light.  These guys have specific nutrition programs and are weighed and tracked very carefully on a daily basis.  If he was less than his target weight it's simply because he couldn't keep the weight on despite his and the trainers best efforts.

I'm not saying he pulled a Maybin, juiced in college and misrepresented himself, but I'm guessing A.J. will maybe add 5 more pounds max to where he is now.  It's just a matter of learning how to get production vs these NFL Olinemen, they're pretty amazing athletes.  His game is quickness and burst now, different than college.

54 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Tell that to Kent Hull. Not sure if I have another example off the top of my head of a guy who needed a redshirt season to substantially bulk up. There are many more examples of guys shedding weight dramatically, like our own Lorenzo Alexander. 

Athletes in their 20s (and then, unfortunately, later in their 30s) can experience all kinds of physical growth and/or especially metabolic, body composition changes (some might lean out, others might continue to fill out, and still others might not change much). 

I don't know if the data supports your sweeping claim, or if it's much more nuanced than that. My hunch is the latter.

Yea Kent Hull was an anomaly 

16 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I'd agree thats usually true, but look at Biscuit when he came in the league and his body in year 3, same with Moulds, Bruce etc.

The one narrative that I think is B.S. is that AJ miraculously lost more weight than he was supposed to.  Like he woke up one day and was 15lbs light.  These guys have specific nutrition programs and are weighed and tracked very carefully on a daily basis.  If he was less than his target weight it's simply because he couldn't keep the weight on despite his and the trainers best efforts.

I'm not saying he pulled a Maybin, juiced in college and misrepresented himself, but I'm guessing A.J. will maybe add 5 more pounds max to where he is now.  It's just a matter of learning how to get production vs these NFL Olinemen, they're pretty amazing athletes.  His game is quickness and burst now, different than college.

Bruce lost weight to do what he did not gain. This article is specific to how much he lost and why he felt why he had to loose it. 

https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/football/professional/nfl/hof-smith-shed-weight-to-become-nfl-sack-leader/article_6271e431-d6ba-5004-a590-bab5999bef2c.html

Moulds gained some muscle mass that added 8-10 pounds

Bennet came in very light.

Usually true were the right words. There are a few that did it but in general they don't and your talking about different positions.. Hull has been mentioned but just pure weight. Lots of these guys coming in it was muscle mass.

9 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

They are what they are.

1) I did not say anything about "bone growth".  I thought it was common knowledge that young men frequently have high metabolisms and struggle to put on weight, being able to eat everything in sight but staying skinny.  Then one day in somewhere in their 20s, it changes and they not only can gain weight, sometimes they pudge out if they don't change their eating habits.  Don't you have friends like this?  The reasons are unclear, but it may not be metabolism - it may be some people naturally expend more energy by their activity (constantly in motion, fidgeting while seated)

2) Seems pretty well known that many NFL players continue to gain muscle after the draft, through their 20s, through rigorous diet and workout programs.  Hell I worked with a guy who wanted to go to medical school (and eventually did) but was a serious body builder.  I know he was way too smart to use PEDs, but I saw pictures and the same guy after his jr year in college vs. after a couple years with plenty of time to work out and eat as he chose, was almost unrecognizable.  But he was rigorous about what he ate and he ate all the time - he would take "peanut butter eating breaks" like cigarette smokers took smoking breaks.

Even Tom Brady developed his body in the NFL.  That famous picture at the combine is pretty sad.

They aren't what they are.

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Yea Kent Hull was an anomaly 

The NFL is full of anomalies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Couldn't find any.  But that's the kind of player he is cut out to be.  He takes on blockers and lets others make tackles.  He looks like he's lost weight, but might be quicker off the ball.  I'm glad he's back.  

There is some tape on youtube in which a guy breaks down Star's role with the Panthers.  

I trust that the coaches will put him to good use and that will certainly help the run defense.

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I doubt they will fine a player like Hughes for missing OTAs due to the birth of a child that could happen any day. If it was an actual  game he would be there and do the PJ thing 

Never mind, he’s there at camp