Is there another hurdle JA needs to hop over?

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

That is not a JA hurdle but thank you for trying to divert thread.

What NFL starting QB does not have  getting to and winning a SuperBowl as their primary goal or hurdle as the leader of the team?  How is this "diverting" the thread? I would almost guarantee you if Josh Allen himself was asked this topic ? he would answer it the same. 

56 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The next hurdle for Allen and the entire team, actually, is playing under the weight of raised expectations. Nice problem to have, but it can ratchet up the pressure when things don’t go well. Think ‘89 Bills. 

Agree, it’s a team issue. If our D neutralized Mahomes the way Tampa did, I fully believe we would have been in the Super Bowl. The KC loss was a team failure. Instead the narrative became Brady beating Mahomes, when in reality the Bucs team beat KC.

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

I’d still contend during the playoffs (especially the Chiefs game) the moments still look too big for him.  

Not something he can’t overcome.  

I agree with this, I also think it doesn’t help calm Allen when the team around him is falling apart. It’s like we completely lose all our fundamentals when playing KC. The receivers drop passes, guys are missing blocks, and Allen comes unglued. Hopefully Allen and the team can overcome that, although even a guy like Brady looked rattled in a couple Super Bowls imo. That’s what happens when the team falls apart in unison. 

Yes there is another hurdle for Josh Allen to make. That huddle is performing well regardless of the game plan.

Well all know Josh Allen perform well when he has to drop back 35-45 in a game. What I would like to see more from Josh is for him to perform well when the game plan is to RUN 30 times a game and just complete key third downs.

The one thing about Brady that made him more dangerous than Peyton Manning was that Brady could execute whether he had to throw it 20 or 50 times in a game. Thats what made playing to Pat's so tough was because they could run it down your throat or air you out. Peyton was wired that he had to throw the ball 50 times a game even when he had great running backs

I feel like Josh can do it. I just hope the running game improves to the point where if teams decide to go light in the box when can run it down teams throats when needed.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's a big myth. Allen has always put up better #s on the road. 

If there's something Allen could improve on it's using his check down as a weapon more often. Getting to his check down quicker as well. Taking less hits. 

IMO this is a hurdle Josh can improve. 

It really comes in two parts.  He developed a lot at not trying to win on every play last season.  But he still doesn't see/take the checkdown at times, even when the player in question has a ton of green grass around him.

But the other part is, I don't think he fully trusts the guys who are out there (Singletary, Knox) to be a safe outlet leading to a good play.  So they have to develop too, or else give way to someone who can get it done.

Hopefully he'll continue to mature here.

35 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Yes there is another hurdle for Josh Allen to make. That huddle is performing well regardless of the game plan.

Well all know Josh Allen perform well when he has to drop back 35-45 in a game. What I would like to see more from Josh is for him to perform well when the game plan is to RUN 30 times a game and just complete key third downs.

The Bills had 3 games with 25 or less passing attempts last season (1st NE, Chargers, and 2nd Miami).  We won all 3.

The MIA game he only played a half, but seems to me he performed pretty well in the other 2 games where we rushed 38 and 30 times, respectively.

The major things I saw from last year:

Cutting down on fumbles.

Getting a little too "amped up" for the major games.  I saw his emotions run away with him on a couple of occasions.

Keep cutting down on the tendency to "hero ball" and expose himself to unnecessary hits.

He's a young guy so these things are to be expected and will get better with time so long as he focuses on being more disciplined.  

Looking at the HOF QB's I see one trait that gets overlooked:  Most of the time they take what the defense gives them.  The best QB's will always find a hole in the defense, so it's rare for them to have to put the team on their shoulders.

So the next step is to become the "field general"  and I have no doubt that's exactly what he'll do.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

What NFL starting QB does not have  getting to and winning a SuperBowl as their primary goal or hurdle as the leader of the team?  How is this "diverting" the thread? I would almost guarantee you if Josh Allen himself was asked this topic ? he would answer it the same. 

That is a team hurdle not a player hurdle.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That is a team hurdle not a player hurdle.

Wow you’re really trying to keep this thread reigned in. 

This JA hurdle vs. team hurdle really seems to be a hard sticking point for you. 

Any chance you’ll actually provide an opinion or are you just here to police others on theirs? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

I want to see Josh beat those teams that have been kryptonite to him. The Chiefs and the Titans. Both of those games are on the road, as well as back to back again this year. With his game, I want to see him utilize the check down so he doesn't get hit like others mentioned. Sometimes it's ok to take a 4 yard dump-off versus taking an unnecessary shot. 17 games is a lot of football and we need him healthy. 

I'd like to see him get better about not subjecting himself to as many big hits, or taking hits at awkward angles. 

This is a tough one because he's made so many great plays when keeping a play alive after it's blown up. And he definitely got a lot better about this last year, but there were still times where you'd like to see him just get rid of the ball and come back for another play. I think he reverts to this more when games are not going well—KC, Tennessee, etc. 

I think about the Chargers game where Bosa was in the backfield right after the snap and Josh tried to stiff arm him and got rolled up in a bad-looking way. I wasn't sure he was going to get up from that. Or in the Raiders game where he made that 8 yard shovel pass while being tackled and ended up dislocating his shoulder. I think he's got the mentality that he can take on anyone in the NFL. That's not a bad trait, but you have to be smart about it. 

Again, I don't think you want to reign in the leash on him and make him play to not get hurt. You want him to go out there and do what he does. But there's a reason guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc. have had such long careers—they're excellent at limiting the hits they take. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

He really needs to give up on his dream of growing facial hair.  Let it go, man.  It ain't happenin'.

Nah, he's still got time. He's young. A lot of guys don't hit their peak facial hair growth until they are in their 30s. I work for a men's grooming company. We see it all the time—guys who couldn't grow much facial hair in their early twenties who end up with massive beards and handlebar mustaches in their 30s and 40s. 

23 minutes ago, H2o said:

I want to see Josh beat those teams that have been kryptonite to him. The Chiefs and the Titans. Both of those games are on the road, as well as back to back again this year. With his game, I want to see him utilize the check down so he doesn't get hit like others mentioned. Sometimes it's ok to take a 4 yard dump-off versus taking an unnecessary shot. 17 games is a lot of football and we need him healthy. 

I'm not sure how Josh will beat the Titans I mean just look at his record against them 2-1 terrible.🙄

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm not sure how Josh will beat the Titans I mean just look at his record against them 2-1 terrible.🙄

Oh, yeah, his combined total of 300 yards passing in those two games and his 13-12/14-7 victories against Marcus Mariota were totally outstanding performances. :rolleyes: Tannehill and the Titans whooped Josh's a** and took his lunch money last year.