RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

56 minutes ago, TPS said:

Charles Davis has great things to say about him too. He was on ONeBillsDrive today. Starts about 13 minutes in.  Before Brown was drafted by the Bills, he predicted he would start at least 10 games this season.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/charles-davis-breaking-down-the-2021-bills-draft-class

I saw that as well.  The fact that 5 Oline coaches separately were polled by him and mentioned Brown as the one guy they'd love to coach spoke volumes.  If Brown pushes for a starting job in camp, Williams could move inside to guard, then Feliciano could either move to the left or to center.  I think we are going to have a strong o line this year.  That could mean a more productive running game, as well as perhaps some tackle eligibles with Brown since he played TE.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trenches, that’s the way to go

It's fun to open toys on Christmas morning, but sometimes what you really NEED is a pair of socks and a sweater. This is a "pair of socks and a sweater" kind of year. 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I saw that as well.  The fact that 5 Oline coaches separately were polled by him and mentioned Brown as the one guy they'd love to coach spoke volumes.  If Brown pushes for a starting job in camp, Williams could move inside to guard, then Feliciano could either move to the left or to center.  I think we are going to have a strong o line this year.  That could mean a more productive running game, as well as perhaps some tackle eligibles with Brown since he played TE.

Williams is not a guard.  He'll be given the year to sit and learn.

• Like (+1) 1
On 5/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, Boxcar said:

The only quibble I have with this offseason is the contract to Feliciano. Is he a starter, is he not? Objective data shows he's not great and better guards were signing for slightly more. 

I think they value him because he is the second best, if not best, center on the team.  I have thought for months that Morse's job may be at risk.  Big contract, I know, McDermott is going to play the best line.   

Mostly what's going on is that there is going to be serious competition all across the line.  Dawkins is probably the only guy who's job is secure.  

• Agree 2
Just now, jkeerie said:

Williams played a lot at guard.  They were talking about that today at OBL.  Tasker mentioned he could easily kick inside.

Like I said, there's going to be a lot of competition.  You don't see a whole lot of rookies starting on offensive lines, especially guys drafted outside the first couple of rounds, but Brown seems to be an unusual guy so, who knows. 

• Like (+1) 2
2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Williams played a lot at guard.  They were talking about that today at OBL.  Tasker mentioned he could easily kick inside.

He has played Guard but thats cause he struggled at RT when he returned from his injury so the coaches thought he would have to move inside. We brought him in started him out at Guard before we realized he was out of his natural position. 

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think they value him because he is the second best, if not best, center on the team.  I have thought for months that Morse's job may be at risk.  Big contract, I know, McDermott is going to play the best line.   

Mostly what's going on is that there is going to be serious competition all across the line.  Dawkins is probably the only guy who's job is secure.  

Anderson says he can play all 3 interior positions too. 

18 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Anderson says he can play all 3 interior positions too. 

Yeah, I think he's Feliciano II.   Who knows, maybe better.   

Was it Brown or Doyle who said he can play guard?

Who knows how it's all going to shake out, but it's kind of amazing that the Bills have a bunch of guys on the offensive line who can play three or four positions, and they look like they're planning on having guys play all over on the defensive line, too.  It's position flexibility taken to a new level.   It's pretty impressive. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

They talked about Brown today on OBL with Greg Cosell, who was quite high on him.  Once again they talked about him winning the training camp battle and kicking Williams inside.  I guess at the end of the day, the o line coaches will put the best 5 linemen out there this season.  If they don't feel Williams can measure up at guard, we obviously won't see him there.

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They talked about Brown today on OBL with Greg Cosell, who was quite high on him.  Once again they talked about him winning the training camp battle and kicking Williams inside.  I guess at the end of the day, the o line coaches will put the best 5 linemen out there this season.  If they don't feel Williams can measure up at guard, we obviously won't see him there.

If Brown is that good, he'll still either be the swing OT or moved to OG, like the Ravens did with Jonathan Ogden when he was a rookie.  Williams is only good at RT.

• Like (+1) 1
On 5/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, Buffarukus said:

i agree.

i think this is the plan. imagine a jump ball in the redzone to this guy. throw him in there while he develops it will get him good reps and be a pretty unique tool to use in situations.

Imagine it happening in a Superbowl?

We could call it - a Bill-y Special !!

• Like (+1) 1
On 5/3/2021 at 4:50 PM, Shaw66 said:

I really thought that McDermott & Beane were going to draft Creed Humphreys at 61 to be Morse's replacements.

I don’t know about the rest of you but it makes me feel great that we’re talking about a player that even though he has so much promise he gets to sit behind veterans for a year and come along slowly the swing tackle position is perfect for this player this year

42 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I really thought that McDermott & Beane were going to draft Creed Humphreys at 61 to be Morse's replacements.

They may have still drafted somebody and Jack Anderson

On 5/1/2021 at 12:35 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

Man that sr bowl coverage is really the best tape that gets out their to the general public.  I spent literally hours on Nageys twitter after the bowl.  The 1 on 1, and drills, and all the other stuff they do gives you a different view and appreciation of how good these guys are.  Helpful camera angles.  Scouting guys on the line is so freaking hard with the standard gameday camera angle. Love this stuff.

Wish his arms were longer, and he does have a narrow frame.  His fast feet are really going to keep him from getting in a bad position he cant dig himself out of.  Impressive stuff.  Thanks for the post

Awesome video, thanks for sharing.

On the flip side, I wish there were videos breaking down all the times a player (even the great ones) got beat or made mistakes, just to kind of see where their weaknesses are, or if there's a certain type of player they struggle against. Not to show how bad they are, just to get an idea of how raw they are or how long their development might be.

Anyway, along with Anderson in the 7th, this is the pick I'm following the most from now on :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • SDS unpinned this topic