RD 3, Pick 30 (93): Spencer Brown, OT (Northern Iowa)

Draft Pick Approval  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • I Don't Know

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

The game is won and lost in the trenches, when FOs and HCs start forgetting this, the path is  then only to failure. 

As Marv Levy said, if you listen to the fans, you will be soon be sitting with them. 

I really like Beane & Co calling the shots. 

I don’t know if that is true anymore, or not all the way true.

The spread, throwing the ball, scoring points, more athletic QBs, speed, smaller defenders who rush the passer.

I think a strong offense Iine is important, but a 340 pound NT seems to have less fit in today’s game. 

I changed my vote to approve solely due to his comment how he had the chance to play for a Big 10 school when the FCS season was cancelled, and he wanted to stay loyal to the school that brought him in. Loyalty is huge. Instead, he goes and works out with a legend in Joe Staley. I'm loving this pick!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don’t know if that is true anymore, or not all the way true.

The spread, throwing the ball, scoring points, more athletic QBs, speed, smaller defenders who rush the passer.

I think a strong offense Iine is important, but a 340 pound NT seems to have less fit in today’s game. 

If your lines can’t hold up, you cannot execute plays, on either offense or defense, period. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

This guy has become a true man of the people in record time.

My god, how weird is it to see guys so happy to be drafted by the Bills? This kinda stuff goes beyond general excitement about being drafted.

• Like (+1) 5

33 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Melifonwu will likely be a backup for a couple of years at least and might ultimately get moved to safety so that the play stays in front of him - he has no idea what’s going on around him.  Why would you take a project like that instead of a generational tackle prospect?

We'll see. I  expect Melifonwu will see the field for many more snaps in his first year than our pick. After 58 years of following this team I am far more concerned with hitting this rare SB window than I am about the future.

10 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Really like the player, don’t really understand the position choice with a TE and a CB on the board, but ooookay

I'm assuming it's called pick he best player on their board, unless you have a glaring need. And no, TE and CB aren't glaring needs.

12 minutes ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

I'm assuming it's called pick he best player on their board, unless you have a glaring need. And no, TE and CB aren't glaring needs.

Man pass whatever the heck you’re smoking. They’re huge needs. 

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

I changed my vote to approve solely due to his comment how he had the chance to play for a Big 10 school when the FCS season was cancelled, and he wanted to stay loyal to the school that brought him in. Loyalty is huge. Instead, he goes and works out with a legend in Joe Staley. I'm loving this pick!

Character counts. I value loyalty. I picked up on this too. Like the size and potential...and the apparent character.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

I like this pick, i might have tried to wait another round but either way he was going soon imo.  Great feet for a big man, still very raw/inexperienced but he has that Incognito nasty in him and with the right coaching he could really turn into a stud.  And while he projects to the right side with his athleticism and feet if he puts in the work and wants the payday he could be a LT just as easily so to speak.  The Bills could have a Orlando Brown/Ronnie Staley situation in 2-3 years, only I bet they handle it much much better.

They couldn't wait another round.

I really enjoy the different perspectives offered by our TBD posters throughout the draft process.  

I think Beane has always been honest with us in his comments.  When he became GM he emphasized the importance of building continued success through quality players in the trenches.  If you pair this sentiment with our glaring weaknesses in the AFC Championship Game I think one could rationally understand our first three picks of the draft.  I hear the arguments on small windows to win super bowls and other areas of need but I just really believe in the approach the FO is taking.  Spencer Brown is a great pick in my opinion.  Our draft might not be sexy but it will pay dividends for years to come.  

One other note on comments in regards to the game changing.  The pendulum does swing back and forth on different styles of play.  But, players who posses raw athletic talent that harnesses power, strength, and explosiveness are constantly improving in the size and speed categories year over year.  That 300lb nose tackle can now run down people from behind.  That 265lb defensive end can blow up your screen game.  That 310lb offensive lineman can get out in space and crush your soul now.  I like the pick!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Right, that’s why I said the Offensive Line has become increasingly important.

We evidently both think that the game is won and lost in the trenches then,  I feel that that has always been the case, 

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I aspire one day to fill out a sweatshirt like that.... and to be 6’8. 

So I still don't understand the video at all if you are 6' 8" the dame table is at your knee cap just fall forward why do you need a chair to jump off of.  I feel sorry for the chair 315lbs ouch. When he stands on the chair the table is at his ankle.

Bro you not getting any air time with your frame gravity likes the big ugliness.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

If your lines can’t hold up, you cannot execute plays, on either offense or defense, period. 

Well, I'm not so sure about that.  I mean, the game's always evolving, so it's hard to say what will happen.   But the pro game is following the college game, particularly when it comes to wide open, spread offensive play.   What the college guys figured out is that with speed and quick decision making they can gain an advantage on the defense.   And that style means that your offensive line doesn't have to pass protect for very long, and no matter how quick your defense is, if the QB is getting the ball out, you aren't going to get to him in time.  

That's why, for example, the Bills weren't afraid to take two edge guys.  As Huck or someone said, the 340-pound nose tackle is a little less valuable than he used to be.   On passing downs, and there are a lot more passing downs than there used to be, it makes some sense to envision Hughes, Oliver, Rousseau and Basham as the defensive line - four guys who all can play defensive end or 3-tech d tackle, because you want their speed and quickness. 

We're seeing safeties playing linebacker.  It's as though coaches are trying to get as many skill position players on the field as possible, and that means the big uglies are becoming dinosaurs to some extent.   It may be why the Bills were interested in Brown - he's an athlete.  It's also why I think drafting offensive linemen in the first couple of rounds is sort of out of favor.  Yeah, you need your left tackle and all that, but NFL offensive linemen have such long incubation periods that many of the good ones have played out their rookie contracts before they become good.   That's why we see Beane scrounging the waiver wire and free agency for O linemen.  

Obviously, the o line is still important.   All I'm saying is that it isn't so clear that all the old adages continue to be the absolute rules that they used to be.  

• Agree 1