Bills were 3rd biggest free agency spenders between 2017-2020, only team top five in spending with winning record over that time

Logic

I found this interesting stat in today’s FMIA column by Peter King. (screenshot included below).

Article link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/nfl-free-agency-tv-deal-fmia-peter-king/

For anyone who is irritated that the Bills didn’t accomplish enough in free agency this year...please note that over the past three seasons, the Bills spent the third most of any team in the league in free agency. Of the top five biggest spenders, they’re the ONLY team with a winning record during that stretch.

The FA spending spree had to stop at some point. The Bills have reached the point in their rebuild where drafting well and retaining talent is of paramount importance. Beane deserves credit for how effectively he has used free agency to help build the team to this point, and he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

0DC20F9E-7B3E-4063-B675-0EC544E0E916.jpeg

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

I found this interesting stat in today’s FMIA column by Peter King. (screenshot included below).

Article link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/nfl-free-agency-tv-deal-fmia-peter-king/

For anyone who is irritated that the Bills didn’t accomplish enough in free agency this year...please note that over the past three seasons, the Bills spent the third most of any team in the league in free agency. Of the top five biggest spenders, they’re the ONLY team with a winning record during that stretch.

The FA spending spree had to stop at some point. The Bills have reached the point in their rebuild where drafting well and retaining talent is of paramount importance. Beane deserves credit for how effectively he has used free agency to help build the team to this point, and he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

We had a ton to fix lol

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is an indicator we've spent wisely for the most part on free agents.

To play devils advocate here, don’t we have one of the highest paid DL’s in the league?

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

To play devils advocate here, don’t we have one of the highest paid DL’s in the league?

If you look at our roster...... our two safeties - free agents; 5 of our top 9 defensive linemen last year (including the opted out Star); 3/5ths of our oline and 2/3 starting receivers were all free agent signings. The only positions where we are primarily home grown are linebacker, corner and running back (obviously Josh too). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

How did the Jets and Jags still have so much money to spend this offseason given what they've spent the last 3 years? 

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

They key variable is so did all those other teams and do you see ANY of them with a winning record????

The amount of flat out holes we had in prior seasons compared to now was through the roof crazy. One would argue that as good as this team was doing that there was only one direction we could go. I mean we had to revamp 4 out of 5 members on the offensive line... and on top of that we had some of the worst WR's in the league. 

FA spending in translation to Wins and losses mean what? I mean where would we be in wins and losses with Tyrod Taylor still here? I feel that matching FA spending and Wins can not possibly tell any where near the whole story  But that is 2 major groups that went from zero to Solid when it comes to our line and Zero to Hero on the WR team.

All this in mind I am in general Happy what bean has done for us and this team but there is places he gets an F. Defensive line for example.

One may also say what does this all mean If you cant make it to the big game? well only time will tell on that one.

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

exactly to my point. this does not tell the whole story 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, hjnick said:

2 things:

1. I would like to see how many players were signed for each team. I bet Buffalo signed more players than the others.

2. Those other teams don’t have a QB the caliber of Josh Allen. :)

Great points you said in a more simplified way then i did and understand your points.. clearly there is more to it

• Like (+1) 1

I think our roster is the ultimate against the trend team. Allen was a high risk pick with heavy odds to flame out. It’s always said you don’t build a team through free agency which we mostly have as gunner pointed out. Now imo is the most important time as you have to hit on some draft picks in the coming years to pair with our big money players.