Houston, Seattle, why are the not asking for signing bonus money back?

hjnick

I was just listening to a podcast talking about the potential for a Russell Wilson trade to Chicago.  They were saying that Seattle would have to take a 32MIL cap hit this year to trade him and if they waited until June 1 they could spread it over 2 years, BUT you can't get any picks this year in the draft for compensation.  Also, Seattle is only 5 MIL under the cap right now, so they would actually have to cut players to trade Wilson and if they got Mack back in the deal, they would have to open up even MORE cap space to accommodate his salary (14MIL I think).

It sounds like Seattle does not want to trade Wilson, but he really wants out of Seattle (also like Watson in Houston).

So, why does Seattle or Houston have to bend over and take such a large cap hit to trade these players?

They should ask Wilson or Watson to return a large chunk of their signing bonus back to the team, which would lessen they cap hit on the team, which would make them more easier to trade.  THEN let Wilson or Watson renegotiate before the trade with their new team for a contract to get them REPAID (eventually).

I think this is a fair way to get a player moved and the team doesn't have to take such a drastic cap hit and have to cut players just to trade a player. 

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

I was just listening to a podcast talking about the potential for a Russell Wilson trade to Chicago.  They were saying that Seattle would have to take a 32MIL cap hit this year to trade him and if they waited until June 1 they could spread it over 2 years, BUT you can't get any picks this year in the draft for compensation.  Also, Seattle is only 5 MIL under the cap right now, so they would actually have to cut players to trade Wilson and if they got Mack back in the deal, they would have to open up even MORE cap space to accommodate his salary (14MIL I think).

It sounds like Seattle does not want to trade Wilson, but he really wants out of Seattle (also like Watson in Houston).

So, why does Seattle or Houston have to bend over and take such a large cap hit to trade these players?

They should ask Wilson or Watson to return a large chunk of their signing bonus back to the team, which would lessen they cap hit on the team, which would make them more easier to trade.  THEN let Wilson or Watson renegotiate before the trade with their new team for a contract to get them REPAID (eventually).

I think this is a fair way to get a player moved and the team doesn't have to take such a drastic cap hit and have to cut players just to trade a player. 

Why because Seattle and Houston do not want to trade the players and the one move guaranteed to push the button even more is to require them to pay back money.

My guess is both teams are going to ride this out until the point one or both guys refuse to play and there is little other options.  Then they will decide what to do about the money.  For now the expectations are both teams still have their starting QBs.

• Like (+1) 1

I still contend both these QB’s aren’t going anywhere.  Wilson complained about protection.  Seattle just needs to use draft capital on linemen.  Watson is dug in, but if Houston waits him out past the draft, they send a message to Watson you’re going to have to holdout and lose millions.  His new GM and HC will keep working on Watson softening him up.

9 hours ago, hjnick said:

Because neither Wilson nor Watson has breached his contract.  Next question...

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Because neither Wilson nor Watson has breached his contract.  Next question...

Exactly.  Both these players have shown up for work, done their jobs, and played extremely well.  What grounds on earth would the teams have to demand money back

If the OP's point is that both teams want to trade away their established, productive, franchise QBs -- well, they don't.  And they don't have to. 

10 hours ago, hjnick said:

Huh? Why do you even think that is a possibility? They didn't retire. You can't just ask for signing bonuses back because thr player wants a trade. This post doesn't even make any sense. I strongly suggest you gain a better understanding of how all of this works. You are making silly assumptions that are not based in reality.

So the short answer to your question is because they can't, it is not possible under the CBA.

/Thread

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Easy answer is they can not.

If you look at the OPs post a little different, you can get to one of the issues with the CBA and dead cap space. It makes trading players more difficult. It would be more interesting if the cap hit went with the player. It would allow a little more movement of players. Or if there was a way to trade picks for cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Easy answer is they can not.

If you look at the OPs post a little different, you can get to one of the issues with the CBA and dead cap space. It makes trading players more difficult. It would be more interesting if the cap hit went with the player. It would allow a little more movement of players. Or if there was a way to trade picks for cap space. 

Players can pay back money.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I still contend both these QB’s aren’t going anywhere.  Wilson complained about protection.  Seattle just needs to use draft capital on linemen.  Watson is dug in, but if Houston waits him out past the draft, they send a message to Watson you’re going to have to holdout and lose millions.  His new GM and HC will keep working on Watson softening him up.

It’s going to be tough for Seattle to get any good o-line help though. They do not have much cap room and traded their 21/22 first round picks for Jamal Adams.  Ouch!!

Edited by Maynard

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Exactly.  Both these players have shown up for work, done their jobs, and played extremely well.  What grounds on earth would the teams have to demand money back

If the OP's point is that both teams want to trade away their established, productive, franchise QBs -- well, they don't.  And they don't have to. 

True, but also to the OP's point - the teams basically have pre-paid for their services.  I think the team absolutely has a right to say look we paid you for some of 2022, 2023, etc.  If you want out that bad, then let's re-work the contract so the new team has to pay it.  Especially in Watsons case who technically has been on his rookie deal so far.

That bridge simply hasn’t been crossed yet. If either Watson or Wilson refuse to report for work, we can fully expect the Texans and Seahawks, respectively, to ask for portions of their signing bonuses to be returned. It’s gonna cost Watson over $20m if he chooses not to play for the Texans. Can’t see that happening.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Pigs will fly before that happens.

Pigs fly every season - Washington should be renamed the Boars or Hogs.

Barry Sanders was a Lion not pig and he paid it back each season keeping money in meantime as interest free loan.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/06/26/detroit-lions-barry-sanders-calvin-johnson-money-dispute/1573546001/

[Calvin] Johnson retired unexpectedly after the 2015 season. When he made his retirement official, the Lions forced him to repay a seven-figure portion of the $16-million signing bonus he received four years earlier.

Sanders, like Johnson, was forced to repay a seven-figure portion of his signing bonus when he retired abruptly before the 1999 season. Sanders stayed away from Lions functions for years before he recently returned to work for the team as an ambassador.

Yes ex-players will hold out from attending events.  Small price to pay IMO. 

Sanders understood it was a business decision 

“Hey, that’s a tough check to write,” Sanders said about repaying the bonus money. “In the NFL you realize it’s a business and they have to handle things on their side of it the way that they do.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Pigs fly every season - Washington should be renamed the Boars or Hogs.

Barry Sanders was a Lion not pig and he paid it back each season keeping money in meantime as interest free loan.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/06/26/detroit-lions-barry-sanders-calvin-johnson-money-dispute/1573546001/

Yes ex-players will hold out from attending events.  Small price to pay IMO. 

Sanders understood it was a business decision 

We aren't talking about players retiring which is why this entire thread makes 0 sense. Is Wilson or Watson planning on retiring? 

Nothing I have read indicates that. If you have some evidence that this has any relevancy to what is going on with them please present it.

OP seems to think teams can just demand signing bonus repayment at will when it is only under very specific circumstances that it is allowed.