Joe Buscaglia's Mock Offseason

DCOrange

https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021/03/11/bills-mock-offseason-2021-predicting-free-agent-signings-cuts-and-draft-picks/

As always with The Athletic, it's behind a paywall, but I'll list the moves here. This is what Joe B is guessing the Bills will ultimately do this offseason.

Cuts:

• WR John Brown
  • IDL Quinton Jefferson
  • Edge Mario Addison
  • TE Lee Smith

Restructures:

• OL Mitch Morse
  • LB AJ Klein

Re-Signings:

• OL Ike Boettger - 1/$1.5M
  • OL Jon Feliciano - 3/$21M
  • QB Matt Barkley - 1/$2M
  • CB Levi Wallace - 1/$1.2M
  • S Dean Marlowe - 1/$1.5M

Leaving via Free Agency:

• LB Matt Milano - a different article from The Athletic predicts he'll end up in Washington
  • OT Darryl Williams
  • WR Isaiah McKenzie
  • KR Andre Roberts
  • P Corey Bojorquez

Trades:

• 2022 5th round pick for TE Zach Ertz
  • #30 pick for #40, #115, #236
  • #93 and #212 picks for #78

Signings:

• Edge Carl Lawson - 4/$36M
  • P Michael Palardy - 1/$0.9M
  • With these signings and the people we let go, we are projected to receive a 4th round comp pick and potentially a 6th or 7th.

Draft:

• #40: OT Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State
  • #61: WR Rondale Moore, Purdue
  • #78: LB Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
  • #115: CB Israel Mukuamu, South Carolina
  • #162: IOL Robert Jones, Middle Tennessee State
  • #178: IDL Bobby Brown III, Texas A&M
  • #235: TE Shaun Beyer, Iowa
  • #236: P James Smith, Cincinnati

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Klein isn’t re structuring. He has all the leverage in the contract .

Joe B said the way the contract is structured would likely allow Buffalo to do this without needing his permission at all. It would just convert some of his salary into a signing bonus to save ~1.5 mil in cap space.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My question is on the OT with our first pick. Is he slated at OT or moving to OG? I’m guessing what’s missing from this offseason roadmap is who’ll be gone via free agency? Milano? Williams? 

Joe B expects Radunz to compete with Ryan Bates for the starting RT spot. It includes who leaves via free agency in the article. I can add that into the OP.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My question is on the OT with our first pick. Is he slated at OT or moving to OG? I’m guessing what’s missing from this offseason roadmap is who’ll be gone via free agency? Milano? Williams? 

If they arent in the Restructures or Re-signings groups, safe to assume they walk in FA.

Based on getting Ford back, and re-signing Boet and Feliciano, I'd guess Radunz would be an OT. Unless they plan to kick Ford back out to OT

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Joe B said the way the contract is structured would likely allow Buffalo to do this without needing his permission at all. It would just convert some of his salary into a signing bonus to save ~1.5 mil in cap space.

Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the explanation 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021/03/11/bills-mock-offseason-2021-predicting-free-agent-signings-cuts-and-draft-picks/

As always with The Athletic, it's behind a paywall, but I'll list the moves here. This is what Joe B is guessing the Bills will ultimately do this offseason.

Cuts:

• WR John Brown
  • IDL Quinton Jefferson
  • Edge Mario Addison
  • TE Lee Smith

Restructures:

• OL Mitch Morse
  • LB AJ Klein

Re-Signings:

• OL Ike Boettger - 1/$1.5M
  • OL Jon Feliciano - 3/$21M
  • QB Matt Barkley - 1/$2M
  • CB Levi Wallace - 1/$1.2M
  • S Dean Marlowe - 1/$1.5M

Leaving via Free Agency:

• LB Matt Milano - a different article from The Athletic predicts he'll end up in Washington
  • OT Darryl Williams
  • WR Isaiah McKenzie
  • KR Andre Roberts
  • P Corey Bojorquez

Trades:

• 2022 5th round pick for TE Zach Ertz
  • #30 pick for #40, #115, #236
  • #93 and #212 picks for #78

Signings:

• Edge Carl Lawson - 4/$36M
  • P Michael Palardy - 1/$0.9M
  • With these signings and the people we let go, we are projected to receive a 4th round comp pick and potentially a 6th or 7th.

Draft:

• #40: OT Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State
  • #61: WR Rondale Moore, Purdue
  • #78: LB Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
  • #115: CB Israel Mukuamu, South Carolina
  • #162: IOL Robert Jones, Middle Tennessee State
  • #178: IDL Bobby Brown III, Texas A&M
  • #235: TE Shaun Beyer, Iowa
  • #236: P James Smith, Cincinnati

I like Spencer Brown (Northern Iowa) more than Radunz. He can be had later in Rd 2. Gotta get an impact player with 1st pick

• Agree 2

Not sure where he's getting Wallace and Boettger for those amounts.  An RFA tender for original round alone is $2.133M.  And I don't see Barkley being back or Feliciano getting more than $4M/year.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

Roberts or McKittrick....gotta keep one. In this scenario, who does he foresee returning kicks? Micah Hyde is not going to be back there and at such a risk.

Who is the better punt returner?   Returning kicks is often a losing proposition.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who is the better punt returner?   Returning kicks is often a losing proposition.

If I was solely to base my judgement upon the Miami game, I think we both know who would win that debate. However, as a body of work, Roberts is the superior option.

• Like (+1) 1

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Bills clearly have a preference for FA/vet WRs (Brown, Diggs, Beasley), and in this scenario they're not adding any experienced pieces to the unit that actually wins them games (the offense). In fact, they're subtracting. I'm increasingly interested in adding someone like Curtis Samuel, who strikes me as a perfect fit for this offense. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not sure where he's getting Wallace and Boettger for those amounts.  An RFA tender for original round alone is $2.133M.  And I don't see Barkley being back or Feliciano getting more than $4M/year.

With Wallace and Boettger, he is assuming the Bills do not tender them due to cost but will be able to bring them back as UFAs cheaper.  I do not buy this, for either player.  He also states that while the Bills may want someone better than Barkley, this is not the year to pay that position.  

Overall, I would be disappointed if this analysis were even close.

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Roberts or McKittrick....gotta keep one. In this scenario, who does he foresee returning kicks? Micah Hyde is not going to be back there and at such a risk.

I can see McK being re-signed.  Or drafting a rookie speedster to do it.  Can't really have a RS this year.

Just now, FLFan said:

With Wallace and Boettger, he is assuming the Bills do not tender them due to cost but will be able to bring them back as UFAs cheaper.  I do not buy this, for either player.  He also states that hole the Bills may want som on b term than Barkley, this is not the year to pay that position.  

Yeah, that's not even close to reality.

Edited by Doc