Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

19 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok, close. But that was in the context of playing for the Texans and their plans back in November. Bit of a stretch when talking about the recent FA situation.

I wouldnt call the Cardinals a re-build either.

How was that a stretch? "I don't have 10 years left. I want to win a championship, that's what I want" is about as unambiguous as it gets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it was about money and not winning a super bowl.   

At that price, they can have him.   Now let's get serious about free agency.

Is this the guy who just got out of a bad relationship and keeps saying he just wants someone with depth who he can have a real connection with and then shows up the next day with a cheerleader who ca

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

According to this the Bills weren't even in the ballpark of the highest offer. So they were never a serious option to get him, turns out he was just chasing the money.

It's alleged that Watt was seen renting a copy of  'Jerry Maguire' from a Redbox in rural Wisconsin.  Should have made sure there was only copies of 'The Mighty Ducks'. 😡

Have not read all the responses but Watt eerily reminds me of Mario Williams.  Not sure it's such a big loss not signing him.  

1 minute ago, Irv said:

Have not read all the responses but Watt eerily reminds me of Mario Williams.  Not sure it's such a big loss not signing him.  

I don't know why so many forget that Mario Williams was REALLY GOOD for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Lebron James raised millions of dollars for the Boys and Girls Club and other charities while stringing along viewers for 75 minutes. He gets the Decision thrown back at him every legacy discussion. 

JJ Watt created fake peloton account and strung multiple teams and fan bases along on social media over several weeks. He will get the Youtube video of when he "married" a little girl played back to him just to see if he remembers how charming he was. This is indicative of the major problem in our society. An issue we are inherently blind to because we're too close to the problem.  

Its hairline discrimination and its wrong. Lebron can't help genetics. He gets his hairline fixed and somehow he gets even more criticism. Meanwhile JJ Watt has hairline privilege and enjoys all the benefits therein. You all need to educate yourselves. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

JJ Watt is one of my favorite non-Bills players but that signing announcement was a little cheesy.

i was with you until the 19 wildcard where we had to hear about Watts return basically being on par with the discovery of fire and the wheel..... and then hearing over and over and over again about how his one sack(that we still got points off of) was apparently the turning point of the whole season for the texans. I could never here watts name again, after that game, and be perfectly fine with it.

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I don't know why so many forget that Mario Williams was REALLY GOOD for the Bills.

In the first couple of years - agree.  But at the end he put no effort in.  Didn't even try to rush - just stood there playing patty cakes with the OL.   

44 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

How was that a stretch? "I don't have 10 years left. I want to win a championship, that's what I want" is about as unambiguous as it gets.

Because he said it back in November when addressing specifically the long term plan of the Houston Texans, and what the Texans should do. A lot changed since then.

Plus, he never said "I want to win a championship, and I dont care about money". So while he realized that he doesnt have 10 years left, and wants to win a championship, he also realized "I have to make as much money in that small window as I can".

I was looking for quotes he put out since his release as it pertains to his Free Agency. There arent any. In any direction. Everything that folks said about what he would want were all just made-up guesses.

29 minutes ago, Irv said:

In the first couple of years - agree.  But at the end he put no effort in.  Didn't even try to rush - just stood there playing patty cakes with the OL.   

The Rex Effect

29 minutes ago, Irv said:

1st 3 years, 38 (14.5 in 3rd year) sacks and good run support. Started to hit the wall in 2015 and then off the team. 2nd or 3rd best pass pass rusher we've probably ever had in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 5
16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because he said it back in November when addressing specifically the long term plan of the Houston Texans, and what the Texans should do. A lot changed since then.

Plus, he never said "I want to win a championship, and I dont care about money". So while he realized that he doesnt have 10 years left, and wants to win a championship, he also realized "I have to make as much money in that small window as I can".

I was looking for quotes he put out since his release as it pertains to his Free Agency. There arent any. In any direction. Everything that folks said about what he would want were all just made-up guesses.

The Rex Effect

I don't want to egg this on, but what changed, exactly? I actually think what's transpired makes the quote more relevant. He didn't see himself winning with Texas, so he left. He proceeded to join a team that also won't win. He was always going to have to take less to go to a contender, he knows that, so he chose money. I would not fault him had he not blown smoke up everyone's ass about his Superbowl aspirations.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane is definitely the one who offered 12 mill 😄

I would guess the bills offer would have been close to 2 years 25 million with between 15 million guaranteed

Basically a contract the bills could move on from after year 1

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Lebron James raised millions of dollars for the Boys and Girls Club and other charities while stringing along viewers for 75 minutes. He gets the Decision thrown back at him every legacy discussion. 

JJ Watt created fake peloton account and strung multiple teams and fan bases along on social media over several weeks. He will get the Youtube video of when he "married" a little girl played back to him just to see if he remembers how charming he was. This is indicative of the major problem in our society. An issue we are inherently blind to because we're too close to the problem.  

Its hairline discrimination and its wrong. Lebron can't help genetics. He gets his hairline fixed and somehow he gets even more criticism. Meanwhile JJ Watt has hairline privilege and enjoys all the benefits therein. You all need to educate yourselves. 

Lebron just sucks.    Him and his fans are the biggest babies in sports.    

Always reaching for affection.  

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The Athletic article directly contradicts that:

Sounds like there were multiple teams that guaranteed $20 million and the Bills weren't one of them. Doesn't seem like Matthew Fairburn is just speculating. I think this information comes directly from the Bills. 

https://theathletic.com/2421172/2021/03/02/why-bills-didnt-sign-j-j-watt-and-what-it-means-for-the-rest-of-their-offseason/?article_source=search&search_query=Matt Fairburn

Was this linked above?  Sorry to repeat if so

According to Ed Werder of ESPN, quarterback play, supporting cast and money were among Watt’s priorities when considering teams. The Bills checked all of those boxes but didn’t come particularly close to the best financial offer. That’s not to say winning isn’t a priority for Watt. The Cardinals have an exciting young quarterback in Kyler Murray, pieces in the front seven who could help Watt flourish and a familiar coach in defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, who was in Houston with Watt from 2011 to 2013.

Arizona could definitely compete in the next two seasons, so it’s not as if Watt chose a bottom feeder, but he did pick the best offer on the table. No team was offering what the Cardinals did in terms of guaranteed money. The Bills weren’t close to that ballpark. Watt could have taken a below-market deal to chase a ring, but instead he got his worth and will play for a team that should be competitive in 2021.

I think the moral of the story is, once again, when someone says "it's not about the money", it's probably about the money.

The Bills had legitimate interest but only at their price. (.....) That’s the way Beane has done business since he arrived.
(....)

by pursuing Watt, the Bills showed they’re in the market for impact defensive linemen. They also showed that a contract worth $10 million per season isn’t going to prohibit them from pursuing a player despite their cap situation.

The Bills didn’t land Watt, but Beane will have them in the mix for other noteworthy veterans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
21 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Add Watt to chandler Jones and that secondary, they may be a much better team this year. 

Let's see how Chandler come back from injury. Arizona was 8-8 and if wasn't for the "Hail Murray" against us, they're not a .500 team. They are still not better than SEA, LAR, and SF in their division...maybe they'd be better, but I can't see them being a contender.

Edited by KGun12TD
  • Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

I don't want to egg this on, but what changed, exactly? I actually think what's transpired makes the quote more relevant. He didn't see himself winning with Texas, so he left. He proceeded to join a team that also won't win. He was always going to have to take less to go to a contender, he knows that, so he chose money. I would not fault him had he not blown smoke up everyone's ass about his Superbowl aspirations.

I asked the question to help point out that a lot of what was said about Watt and his search for a new team was mostly conjecture by fans, social media users, and the media. Folks made wild assumptions based on very little real information. "He wants to go to Pittsburgh!" because his brother is there. "He wants to go to Green Bay!" because he is from Wisconsin. "He wants to win a championship!" because he hasnt gone far in the playoffs over his career yet. But none of it, in this period, came from Watt himself. And now folks want to trash him and call him a liar, when he didnt really say ANYTHING since his release.

There is one quote, from back in November, where he mentioned he is running out of time to win a championship in the context of the idea that the Texans may go into rebuild mode.

Sure, we can use that. But it doesnt really satisfy what I was specifically looking for originally. And I certainly dont see where he "blew smoke up everyone's asses about his Super Bowl aspirations". He has ONE half-sentence about it back in November. It was the media and fans that whipped themselves up on that topic.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But I am still also skeptical of Kyle Shannahan TBH.  I would have never hired him after that Atlanta travesty in the SB personally.  Not like he built that offense, he inherited a potent offensive roster there.  Then to watch him choke away a game like that on a team notorious for choking was just something that would have given me pause as a GM.  The 49er SB did nothing to erase those concerns either, at least not for me.  

Kyle has shown that’s he’s more than competent when it comes to designing offenses and one could argue he was at the forefront of building an offense around a running QB, at least this iteration of it. He’s far from perfect but his track record and success to this point is far superior to Kingsbury and honestly most other NFL coaches. I can’t think of more than 6-7 guys I’d take over Shanahan... 

Youngest OC in the NFL when he was hired by Houston, top 10 offense in HOH, top 5 offense in WSH, top 5 offense in ATL, top 5 offense in SF. He’s shown he can do it in a variety of places with QBs like Matt Schuab, RG3, Matt Ryan and Jimmy G. He’s also designed offenses to make severely limited QB like Sage Rosenfels, Donovan McNabb, CJ Beathard, Nick Mullens and Red Grossman look competent and win football games. 

I understand there is some apprehension surrounding the Super Bowl against New England... but he also built a 28-3 lead halfway through the 3rdQ. I think you’re putting a lot of blame on a guy when the defense just completely and utterly collapsed as well. Obviously he didn’t help, but he wasn’t taking sacks and holding penalties on drives where they started off by ripping off 8-9 yard gains on the first play and then stalled out after penalties or lack of execution. I’d be more concerned about the fact that after they went up 28-3 New England ripped off drives of 13, 12, 10 and 9 plays. It’s a lot like the Bills game this year when they almost lost to LA up 28-3. Brian Daboll absolutely deserves flack for not being able to continue to move the ball in the 2nd half... but his side of the ball didn’t blow a 28-3 lead. McDermott and Frazier are far more responsible for how that game transpired in the 2nd half than Brian Daboll. Same goes for the Houston playoff game... and I’m very protective of McDermott, but I wouldn’t think to blame Brian Daboll for those collapses. 

I’m having a hard time as a GM refusing to hire a guy who’s had success coordinating offenses everywhere he’s gone, been around the game his entire life, learned first hand from one of the greatest coaches ever and has proven he can get to a Super Bowl, just because he was a piece in an epic collapse by an entire team. 

Basically it boils down to this for me... would you have been ok hiring Shanahan in the event he never made it to the Super Bowl with ATL and therefore was never part of the collapse against the Patriots? I feel like your opinion may completely change. 

Edited by JGMcD2