The January 6th Commission To Investigate The Insurrection

Tiberius

A Big Post-January 6th Narrative Gets Officially Debunked

Following the unrest on January 6th, 2021, the media and their political allies set about to paint what happened as the worst thing to hit the country since the Civil War. Joe Biden bandied that line about multiple times while Nancy Pelosi feigned deep concern.

The reality of the situation always made those comparisons ludicrous, including comparisons to 9/11, where 3,000 people died and terrorists literally attempted to blow up the Capitol Building. Further, there’s a fairly objective case to be made that the BLM riots of 2020 were far worse, as well, seeing dozens of deaths and billions in destruction. On January 6th, one person was killed — Ashli Babbitt, who was shot by an unidentified police officer.

Some will gasp at me for daring to add context to the situation, but I’d argue the distinct lack of actual action once people entered the Capitol Building is fairly good evidence they only meant to yell at people and take selfies. Certainly, a single police officer standing in a hallway, which was one of the famed confrontations of the day, did not actually hold back the crowd. Rather, the crowd obviously chose not to lash out further. Pointing out such details is not an apologetic of January 6th, and frankly, I’m sick of bad-faith actors insisting you can not apply objective context without being complicit.

With all that said, one of the big post-January 6th narratives was that people were leaving and would leave the Republican Party in droves over their disgust with what occurred. Was that true? Did the American people actually buy the ridiculous notion that January 6th was worse than 9/11 and comparable to the Civil War?

In a word, NO.

{snip}

On February 21st, The New York Times wrote an article entitled Why Thousands of Republicans Are Leaving the Party.

In April, USNews wrote Republicans Flee the GOP After Capitol Riots.

Other similar articles include Thousands of Republicans Leave the Party, Registration Data Shows and Registered Republicans Ditch Party After Capitol Riot.

Was any of that actually true? Of course not. The media ran with incomplete and out-of-context data to push a narrative without even stopping to investigate what the real cause was. As Couvillon’s thread shows, the exodus from the Democrat Party has actually been larger than the GOP in regards to registrations. Why have the numbers changed to the extent they have? Because voter rolls are purged after elections.

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2021/07/12/a-big-post-january-6th-narrative-gets-officially-debunked-n409793

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I can only imagine if BLM rioters broke into the White House.

Double-standards across alternate realities.

Welcome to the multiverse of madness.

Yeah, if they'd done that, they'd all be free within hours.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So it was a set up? Or more accurately, entrapment? No Justice No Peace!!!

Yep! The select committee should investigate and subpoena Trump's Acting Secretary of Defense and why this letter was sent to the Guard...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I can only imagine if BLM rioters broke into the White House.

Double-standards across alternate realities.

Welcome to the multiverse of madness.

I would imagine the double standards would be coming from both sides. Wouldn't you agree? 

Some Republicans Break From Trump's Attempt To Rewrite Jan. 6 Insurrection

“I think that what people saw with their own eyes reflects a different reality,” Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said Monday when asked if he had concerns such rhetoric could lead to future violence.

CC: Uh oh @B-Man - you’re failing your masters narrative 

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, B-Man said:

This is actually a good article and mostly aligns with my views.  It doesn't let Trump off the hook like so many on here are trying to do.  It also recognizes it's a political club being used by Democrats trying to keep it alive Benghazi style. 

Second, I bow to nobody in my view that the Capitol riot was indefensible, that it involved lawbreaking and both real and threatened violence, that it targeted and disrupted an essential process in the peaceful transition of power, and that Donald Trump bears moral and political responsibility for it. Trump was responsible not only for his incendiary speech but for a two-month course of conduct consisting of (1) claiming, loudly and falsely, that the election was stolen; (2) continuing to contest the election result through every available forum for two months; (3) not limiting his contest of the election to the legally legitimate channels for an election contest; (4) focusing attention on the in-person gathering of the entire Congress and the vice president to count the electoral votes on January 6 as a point of vulnerability to mob pressure; and (5) specifically violating his oath to the Constitution by the attempt to get the vice president to unilaterally prevent the counting of electoral votes.

I said at the time, and still believe, that Trump was properly impeached for this and should have been convicted. I said at the time, and still believe, that the maximum available punishments should be used against everyone who broke the law that day, in order to show for all time that this should never be repeated. I said at the time, and still believe, that a great many societies in human history would rationally have reacted to such an event by placing the heads of Trump and the rioters on pikes around the Capitol as a warning to others.

He also realizes the cynical play by the Dems which could be effective as Trump continues to get back into the public eye when the Republican politicians are dying to move on from him.

The temptation to keep January 6 alive as a never-ending partisan club in order to preserve the Trump-centric voter dynamics of the 2020 election and avoid contesting the 2022 elections around the current president and the current Congress. That undoubtedly is why unprincipled political operatives seem devoted to the “January 6 was worse than September 11” talking point. Never mind that 3,000 Americans died; the important thing is that Republicans won the 2002 and 2004 elections on the strength of George W. Bush’s response to the September 11 attacks. For Democrats still sore at that — and in particular for Democrats who were Republicans then and see money to be made now off January 6 — the desire to repeat that has overwhelmed their basic sense of decency and proportion.

10 hours ago, BillStime said:

Can you say George Floyd?

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This is actually a good article and mostly aligns with my views.  It doesn't let Trump off the hook like so many on here are trying to do.  It also recognizes it's a political club being used by Democrats trying to keep it alive Benghazi style. 

Second, I bow to nobody in my view that the Capitol riot was indefensible, that it involved lawbreaking and both real and threatened violence, that it targeted and disrupted an essential process in the peaceful transition of power, and that Donald Trump bears moral and political responsibility for it. Trump was responsible not only for his incendiary speech but for a two-month course of conduct consisting of (1) claiming, loudly and falsely, that the election was stolen; (2) continuing to contest the election result through every available forum for two months; (3) not limiting his contest of the election to the legally legitimate channels for an election contest; (4) focusing attention on the in-person gathering of the entire Congress and the vice president to count the electoral votes on January 6 as a point of vulnerability to mob pressure; and (5) specifically violating his oath to the Constitution by the attempt to get the vice president to unilaterally prevent the counting of electoral votes.

I said at the time, and still believe, that Trump was properly impeached for this and should have been convicted. I said at the time, and still believe, that the maximum available punishments should be used against everyone who broke the law that day, in order to show for all time that this should never be repeated. I said at the time, and still believe, that a great many societies in human history would rationally have reacted to such an event by placing the heads of Trump and the rioters on pikes around the Capitol as a warning to others.

He also realizes the cynical play by the Dems which could be effective as Trump continues to get back into the public eye when the Republican politicians are dying to move on from him.

The temptation to keep January 6 alive as a never-ending partisan club in order to preserve the Trump-centric voter dynamics of the 2020 election and avoid contesting the 2022 elections around the current president and the current Congress. That undoubtedly is why unprincipled political operatives seem devoted to the “January 6 was worse than September 11” talking point. Never mind that 3,000 Americans died; the important thing is that Republicans won the 2002 and 2004 elections on the strength of George W. Bush’s response to the September 11 attacks. For Democrats still sore at that — and in particular for Democrats who were Republicans then and see money to be made now off January 6 — the desire to repeat that has overwhelmed their basic sense of decency and proportion.

Yawn

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A good summation but what's missing is context.  And I'll keep my comments to setting that context.

And that context is these protesters have experienced the opposition lying, cheating, and stealing for 4 1/2 years.  Breaking all kinds of laws like falsifying warrants, falsifying intelligence, leaking sensitive national security information, planting false stories in the press, letting sympathetic protest groups get away with murder, and so much more.  And yet not a single person has been charged, tried, or convicting of anything.  Like "made men" in the mob these wrongdoers are protected by the system.  While they are not.   

They've watched the corporate media lie about everything, ignore other things, and dismiss anything that didn't fit their narratives. They've witnessed big tech weaponizing social media against them, suppressing and censoring all opposition ideas.  And in a lot of cases these platforms have spread lies and misinformation themselves. All without consequences. 

They've sat through two impeachment hearings authorized on the flimsiest of charges all for political show.  They've heard officials like Maxine Waters telling her supporters to "get in people's faces" and to get "confrontational" and see her get away unquestioned by the media.  The same media that descended on Trump when he spoke in similar fashion charging he was inciting violence.  They've watched BLM and Antifa groups burn, loot, destroy, steal, beat and kill people and get away with all of it by friendly state and local governments knowing damn well if they participated in that behavior they'd see the full weight of the law come down on them.  

Basically, they've watched the administration they supported get screwed up and down by the embedded powers inside and outside the government during the entire 4 year term.  And then defeated in an election almost half the country believes was fixed.  

That's the context.  And given all that telling them here to play nice and follow all the rules.  

12 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

A good summation but what's missing is context.  And I'll keep my comments to setting that context.

And that context is these protesters have experienced the opposition lying, cheating, and stealing for 4 1/2 years.  Breaking all kinds of laws like falsifying warrants, falsifying intelligence, leaking sensitive national security information, planting false stories in the press, letting sympathetic protest groups get away with murder, and so much more.  And yet not a single person has been charged, tried, or convicting of anything.  Like "made men" in the mob these wrongdoers are protected by the system.  While they are not.   

They've watched the corporate media lie about everything, ignore other things, and dismiss anything that didn't fit their narratives. They've witnessed big tech weaponizing social media against them, suppressing and censoring all opposition ideas.  And in a lot of cases these platforms have spread lies and misinformation themselves. All without consequences. 

They've sat through two impeachment hearings authorized on the flimsiest of charges all for political show.  They've heard officials like Maxine Waters telling her supporters to "get in people's faces" and to get "confrontational" and see her get away unquestioned by the media.  The same media that descended on Trump when he spoke in similar fashion charging he was inciting violence.  They've watched BLM and Antifa groups burn, loot, destroy, steal, beat and kill people and get away with all of it by friendly state and local governments knowing damn well if they participated in that behavior they'd see the full weight of the law come down on them.  

Basically, they've watched the administration they supported get screwed up and down by the embedded powers inside and outside the government during the entire 4 year term.  And then defeated in an election almost half the country believes was fixed.  

That's the context.  And given all that telling them here to play nice and follow all the rules.  

Holy smokes - Trump pissed all over the constitution and used the American flag as toilet paper.

Please stop w the bs - Trump is a con and you are a sucker.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Holy smokes - Trump pissed all over the constitution and used the American flag as toilet paper.

Please stop w the bs - Trump is a con and you are a sucker.

As everything I said was true it would appear there's enough "pissing on the Constitution" to go around. The issue is Trump seems like the only guy being held to account.  Why is that? 

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

As everything I said was true it would appear there's enough "pissing on the Constitution" to go around. The issue is Trump seems like the only guy being held to account.  Why is that? 

Why do you think that is?