Drew Brees renegotiates, now making the league minimum.

Draconator

58 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I dont claim to understand how the cap works. But if he retires, shouldn't that money just go poof? All the guaranteed dollars are already paid. I guess its more complicated than that.

With respect to this very myth about retirement and salary cap implications: Cover-1's Greg Thompsett set me straight last night via chat during their streamed salary cap podcast. I incorrectly commented that an unexpected Star Lotulelei retirement (a minor/mostly unfounded concern that nonetheless did come up and wasn't laughed off) would, on the bright side, provide cap relief for the Bills. 

Turns out that is not the case. Retirements can and do sometimes create sudden depth chart holes AND salary cap dead weight.

Come to think of it, for example, didn't Eric Wood's sudden retirement trigger some poopy cap implications? 

Edited by Richard Noggin
accessibility
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

With respect to this very myth about retirement and salary cap implications: Cover-1's Greg Thompsett set me straight last night via chat during their streamed salary cap podcast. I incorrectly commented that an unexpected Star Lotulelei retirement (a minor/mostly unfounded concern that nonetheless did come up and wasn't laughed off) would, on the bright side, provide cap relief for the Bills. 

Turns out that is not the case. Retirements can and do sometimes create sudden depth chart holes AND salary cap dead weight.

Come to think of it, for example, didn't Eric Wood's sudden retirement trigger some poopy cap implications? 

Can you explain it for those of us who don't want to watch it?

Pleeeeaaaassseeee!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Can you explain it for those of us who don't want to watch it?

Pleeeeaaaassseeee!!!!

I can explain that I was wrong, apparently, in thinking that player retirement automatically results in cap relief for that player's team. If Star retires this off-season, for example, then the Bills end up without his services AND a big dead cap hit that they can't get out of (until of course we consider whatever the eff Brees and the Saints just did). For more specifics you'd have to watch the podcast. Thompsett is pretty active in the chat during the broadcast, brings some serious cap smarts, and lets me know I'm wrong, much to the delight of all of us conversing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Retirement is essentially the same from cap perspective as cutting someone.  If they had a big contract with a big bonus with a number of years left on it and retire, the team takes a dead cap hit on the remainder same as if they had cut the person.  Eric Wood was a good example that was cited.  His retirement was unexpected due to medical condition and the Bills had just resigned him to a multi-year contract the year before.

As I look at the Brees story, he dropped his 2021 base salary to the league min, which lowers his cap hit for next year.  This means the Saints can leave him on the roster past the start of the league year and stay under the cap (with other moves).  They can then have him retire after June 1 (similar to other June 1 cuts that teams declare) and move the dead cap hit into the next year (2022) rather than have to deal with it this year, when the cap is constricted.   Brees obviously wouldn't care whether his 2021 salary is $20m or the league minimum as he's planning to retire

I could be wrong, but I want to say that the Bills did something similar w/ Eric Wood.  They didn't reduce his next year's salary, but held off the retirement announcement until they could use the June 1 rule to move the dead cap into following year.  

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 3

An example of retirement / payback was Barry Sanders.  He retired and Detroit Lions went after portion of signing bonus and every year he said "I might unretire" so he could keep the balance and only paid back that year's prorated bonus.  In mean time he got an interest free loan from NFL he could save or invest in. If his investments went sour he could declare bankruptcy and not pay it back but they didn't so he did.

2 hours ago, cage said:

Retirement is essentially the same from cap perspective as cutting someone.  If they had a big contract with a big bonus with a number of years left on it and retire, the team takes a dead cap hit on the remainder same as if they had cut the person.  Eric Wood was a good example that was cited.  His retirement was unexpected due to medical condition and the Bills had just resigned him to a multi-year contract the year before.

As I look at the Brees story, he dropped his 2021 base salary to the league min, which lowers his cap hit for next year.  This means the Saints can leave him on the roster past the start of the league year and stay under the cap (with other moves).  They can then have him retire after June 1 (similar to other June 1 cuts that teams declare) and move the dead cap hit into the next year (2022) rather than have to deal with it this year, when the cap is constricted.   Brees obviously wouldn't care whether his 2021 salary is $20m or the league minimum as he's planning to retire

I could be wrong, but I want to say that the Bills did something similar w/ Eric Wood.  They didn't reduce his next year's salary, but held off the retirement announcement until they could use the June 1 rule to move the dead cap into following year.  

The Saints are expected to designate him as a post June 1st cut so it will spread it over 2 years instead of only 1

• Like (+1) 1

So Drew Brees just said to the Saints you can keep that 24 mil. ***** like this needs to be investigated by the NFL a lot more. Just like when Brady was in his prime and making 10mil less than the highest paid QB. We all know it’s happing it’s just trying to prove it. 

Allen needs to come out with his own vitamin called JA17 and the Pegulas can invest 10 mil a year into it.

I don’t care if you need to take a flint stone vitamin and just shape it into footballs, get this thing rolling now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I dont get how this saves 24 million on their cap.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

So Drew Brees just said to the Saints you can keep that 24 mil. ***** like this needs to be investigated by the NFL a lot more. Just like when Brady was in his prime and making 10mil less than the highest paid QB. We all know it’s happing it’s just trying to prove it. 

The $24M was from his unguaranteed "base salary".  It would of went away if he retired or not.

The only thing they are doing is keeping him on the roster until June 1st.  He has a $22M dead cap that will be split over the next

2 years instead of all being hit at once.

The move is legal and it still does not get them out of cap hell.  Spotrac still has them needing to cut out $70M AFTER they lose a HOF QB!

Players will be cut/traded and their UFAs will likely sign elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The $24M was from his unguaranteed "base salary".  It would of went away if he retired or not.

The only thing they are doing is keeping him on the roster until June 1st.  He has a $22M dead cap that will be split over the next

2 years instead of all being hit at once.

The move is legal and it still does not get them out of cap hell.  Spotrac still has them needing to cut out $70M AFTER they lose a HOF QB!

Players will be cut/traded and their UFAs will likely sign elsewhere.

So his salary was 25 million and they cut it to 1 million?  He also has a 5.75 million signing bonus hit and 5.4 million restructure bonus accoridn to spotrac.  It looks to me like if he retires after June 1, ht still had a 11.5 million dead cap hit.  Unless he is "giving that bonus money" back?