SI.com Now Subscription-Only

I read Albert Breer’ tri-weekly columns at Sports Illustrated.com.  IMO he’s the best in the business and has surpassed Peter King whom he replaced and who has become a bit of a caricature.  Earlier this week I noticed that the SI.com website had changed - for the worse, making it harder to find content and somehow even noisier (the “ESPN.com Look”). Today I visited the site and was surprised to see that I couldn’t access Breer’s latest article because it’s now behind a paywall.  Members have to pay $7.99/mo or $5.99 if you sign up for a year.

I’m not signing up.  I love Breer, and Andrew Brandt and Emily Kaplan are good as well.  But I don’t find any other content of theirs to be worthwhile.  I already subscribe to the Athletic and love it.  I’d probably pay $1 more per month if Breer moved over to the Athletic.  I read PFT and Football Outisiders, and the occasional Ringer and 538 articles.  There’s enough content out there already.  I get that these sites need to monetize better but the subscription model only works if the entire platform is compelling.  Does Sports Illustrated really think it can compete in this space?  It’s already behind other websites that give their content away for free... 

Also put off by the fact that there was no advance warning of this (that I saw), and the timing of it - a few days before the Super Bowl - seems bizarre.  If you’re going to take advantage of the media blitz leading up to the game, why not advertise the heck out of it and explain why you’ll be offering something different/better?  Seems like yet another Big Media faceplant.

Will anyone here sign up?  I’d be curious.  

• Like (+1) 1

where's the HUH :huh: reaction emogi ??  

https://www.si.com/author/albert-breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/03/nfl-mailbag-tom-brady-bill-belichick-competing-patriots-buccaneers

As debates rage on about who deserves credit for the Patriots' success, those close to Brady and Belichick weigh in on whether they're still keeping score.

ALBERT BREER

15 HOURS AGO

Yea I can still access too. Agree with everything you said about the places you go to for content though. I said it in the thread crying about the Bills not getting enough love.... I maybe don't share that sentiment because I reed Breer, and Brandt, and Football Outsiders, and the Athletic and I do still enjoy Peter King.... I don't waste my time watching no mark talking head shows on ESPN. Frankly I am surprised anyone does these days there is so much great content out there. 

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

I had nothing prompt me about a pay wall when I clicked on the link. 

Now it’s telling me I get two free articles this month.

Maybe they’ve gone to a subscription model for me only?😂

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I would rather start a Go Fund for Bernie Madoff

image.png.97608211e7f8f4d4feef7ef04d076fb1.png

You are, without a doubt, the oddest poster on this site.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Now it’s telling me I get two free articles this month.

Maybe they’ve gone to a subscription model for me only?😂

You are, without a doubt, the oddest poster on this site.

For 5.99 you can subscribe to my Blog

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

where's the HUH :huh: reaction emogi ??  

https://www.si.com/author/albert-breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/03/nfl-mailbag-tom-brady-bill-belichick-competing-patriots-buccaneers

As debates rage on about who deserves credit for the Patriots' success, those close to Brady and Belichick weigh in on whether they're still keeping score.

ALBERT BREER

15 HOURS AGO

This is actually a great piece. Good mailbag responses at the end too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Odd.  I can’t access that article without paying.

Hmmm.... Im

Sport Illustrated was a made to keep people occupied while bored waiting. It made its money from offices with waiting rooms and in homes in which had multiple men who enjoy taking long dumps.

Now people just use their phones to preoccupy themselves. It’ll be gone very soon imo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Beast said:

Between paying for my television service (DTV) and paying for my internet, with tons of free sports sites, I will never pay for another sports publication, meaning magazine or internet. 

When you don't subscribe to a magazine or an internet site....an American loses his/her job.  Are you okay with this?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I read Albert Breer’ tri-weekly columns at Sports Illustrated.com.  IMO he’s the best in the business and has surpassed Peter King whom he replaced and who has become a bit of a caricature.  Earlier this week I noticed that the SI.com website had changed - for the worse, making it harder to find content and somehow even noisier (the “ESPN.com Look”). Today I visited the site and was surprised to see that I couldn’t access Breer’s latest article because it’s now behind a paywall.  Members have to pay $7.99/mo or $5.99 if you sign up for a year.

I’m not signing up.  I love Breer, and Andrew Brandt and Emily Kaplan are good as well.  But I don’t find any other content of theirs to be worthwhile.  I already subscribe to the Athletic and love it.  I’d probably pay $1 more per month if Breer moved over to the Athletic.  I read PFT and Football Outisiders, and the occasional Ringer and 538 articles.  There’s enough content out there already.  I get that these sites need to monetize better but the subscription model only works if the entire platform is compelling.  Does Sports Illustrated really think it can compete in this space?  It’s already behind other websites that give their content away for free... 

Also put off by the fact that there was no advance warning of this (that I saw), and the timing of it - a few days before the Super Bowl - seems bizarre.  If you’re going to take advantage of the media blitz leading up to the game, why not advertise the heck out of it and explain why you’ll be offering something different/better?  Seems like yet another Big Media faceplant.

Will anyone here sign up?  I’d be curious.  

I know you'd probably get the magazine at that monthly.  But who reads magazines?  By the time its delivered thats not even a hot topic anymore.

The athletic is more of what i think people want nowadays - regular real-time content around your specific teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is sad.  For years, back to when I was a little kid 50 some years ago, I would wait each week for the SI issue to come, and would be out of touch to the rest of the world until I read the entire issue.  When I was older and married with kids, they knew Thursday nights for an hour or two they didn't bug Daddy while he was reading his magazine.  Such great writers - Deford, Kirkpatrick, King, G Smith, McCallum - and the list goes on.

I will really need to think this one through, but my gut says I'll probably pay.  Imagining not reading SI just doesn't seem real to me right now.