Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, Reader said:

Seriously. If you could find a guy like Milano in the 3rd round every year we could easily bring him back for significantly less money than what he is going to get.

how many LB's are starting from the third round say... 3 years ago..

I will make it easy for you... only one of 3 OLB is still starting 3 years ago Jerome Baker

4 round 3 was taken in 2019 draft 2 ILB starters 2 olb 1 still starting one not

seriously this is not as easy as you make it.

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hate to say this, but the obvious place Milano will land is New England. 

I don’t know, they really like guys who can play multiple spots and they need to heavily invest on the offensive side of the ball this year. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Timing is kind of weird on this story.  Free agency is still 4 weeks away.  Either Bills have no interest in bringing him back or they are so far apart in negotiations they’ve mutually decided to move on.  

Probably a little of both. Bills can't prioritize signing Milano when they have to take care of OL, DL, and CB 1st. Milano is a good player, but at this point they can't give him a contract that he would want. 

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t know, they really like guys who can play multiple spots and they need to heavily invest on the offensive side of the ball this year. 

I hope you are right, but I know they have the cap space, Milano went to college there, and Milano is the sort of player that I think BB loves and could really utilize. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Losing him creates too big a hole at LB which is especially important in this defense.  We don't have a replacement and you can never count on a rookie.  Bite the bullet.  Franchise tag him and give him and Edmunds one more year of an evaluation before dishing out a big contract.

They're going to have to replace him. 

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hope you are right, but I know they have the cap space, Milano went to college there, and Milano is the sort of player that I think BB loves and could really utilize. 

I don’t think Milano has the pass rush chops they covet. 
Overall with the opt out guys coming back possibly they don’t need much on defense. I would have to guess they need the money for offense. They are losing some linemen and running backs and of course had no weapons on the outside already. 

35 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Especially since Beane said in late Jan early Feb that Milano has earned to right to test free agency

Reading between Beane’s lines, the Bills have a fixed dollar value in mind and Beane knew full well that some team is gonna offer Milano too much in excess of that number for the Bills to match. Indeed, I think the transition tag number for LBs already exceeds what the Bills want to pay him. Especially if they’re serious about going after Watt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, jahnyc said:

I think it would be a mistake to not make re-signing Milano a priority.  The defense improved significantly when he returned from injury and I think his skill set will be very hard to replace.  

This was my take as well for a long time. 

I actually hope that if he leaves they start making adjustments to the scheme though. If they know going into the season they can’t do the same things without Milano they’ll fit the system better to what they have. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wasn’t this a given back in January? Yes it was... 

Not much here that one can say is new news. 

Beane has likely got his replacement ear marked, it’s what he does...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i thought beane said it weeks ago. but maybe its more official now somehow?

I expect Wawrow got some gouge either from Milano’s agent or someone in the Bills FO, in which case the latter could be seeking employment as I think the Bills viewpoint is “what part of private wasn’t clear to you?”

I suspect “agent”

At a guess, the new news is: 

1) the Bills offered Milano a contract

2) his agent has had convos with other teams promising more

3) Agent made a counter

4) Bills said sorry, no can do, Cap

5) Agent running up a flag “Available!” In hope of inciting more interest

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I expect Wawrow got some gouge either from Milano’s agent or someone in the Bills FO, in which case the latter could be seeking employment as I think the Bills viewpoint is “what part of private wasn’t clear to you?”

I suspect “agent”

At a guess, the new news is: 

1) the Bills offered Milano a contract

2) his agent has had convos with other teams promising more

3) Agent made a counter

4) Bills said sorry, no can do, Cap

5) Agent running up a flag “Available!” In hope of inciting more interest

Wawrow typically gets his info from the Bills. He has a good relationship with the owners. 

1. Wawrow most have missed Beane's press conference. This is literally not news at all. And he even teased it as if he had news. Worse than Glazer. Bizarre.

2. If Milano cares more about money than winning, I say good riddance. And for anyone who says he doesn't, keep in mind you'd have to make about $150K/yr for 30 yrs to make what he's made already. His next contract will be on top of that. I guess a couple extra million is key to him. 🙄

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

1. Wawrow most have missed Beane's press conference. This is literally not news at all. And he even teased it as if he had news. Worse than Glazer. Bizarre.

2. If Milano cares more about money than winning, I say good riddance. And for anyone who says he doesn't, keep in mind you'd have to make about $150K/yr for 30 yrs to make what he's made already. His next contract will be on top of that. I guess a couple extra million is key to him. 🙄

Just wondering, have you made that second comment about every other free agent from a good team? I hate when fans make this comment, it just REEKS of bitterness because these guys make a lot of money