Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I didn't think dead cap counted on Salary cap space. Isn't that money that's already been paid out to the player? 

Dead cap goes against the cap because it’s money that they’ve already paid out. 

Dead cap is a hit to the cap we cannot mitigate, even by trading the player. It occurs for a few reasons, but yes, mostly signing bonuses that were frontloaded. 

Example: John Brown's salary is somewhere around 8 million but he has a cap hit of 10 million, (this is a "dead" cap hot of 2 million from bonuses, then the cap hit from the 8 million salary) Cutting or trading John saves the 8 million salary, but not the dead cap hit. Dead hits can still hit a few years after a player leaves, as signing bonuses are factored over the life of the deal, averaged per year of the contract.

Retired players can have dead cap hits too for signing bonus money. For example, if Star retires....he'll hit us nearly 10 million in dead cap I believe. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

I don't think we have a replacement for Milano on the roster and I would not expect a rookie to be able to fill that role, even if he is a pick in the first or second round.  With our salary cap constraints, I also doubt that we will be able to sign an equivalent replacement.  I understand the concern with Milano's history of injuries, but he is one of the few players on defense that seems to make plays, including providing  pressure on the QB when blitzing or causing a turnover.  I think his mix of abilities will be hard to replace, and I don't really see Edmunds with the same abilities or instincts.

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I find it interesting  that Beane says Milano “ earned the right to test FA” .. correct me if I’m wrong but similar comments were made about Lawson & Phillips last year and they moved on...

Since last year we have had Tre and Dion “ earn the right to get a nice contract extension and not have to test FA”...

Yep, “earned the right...” is a euphemism for we’re going to only offer a set price, we are not getting into a bidding war, and he’s likely to move on. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pigpen65 said:

Milano is a big loss without a doubt. He is a difference maker. Depressing to lose him because, like Shaq and Phillips, there's no amount of sugar coating that can get around the fact that when you lose play makers on defense the defense gets worse.  

Need to hit in the draft a bit better during the early rounds.  

I can’t fault them too much on Jordan Phillips, because who could’ve foreseen COVID and Star opting out.  They also drafted Harry, who was flashing pre-injury and again once he started getting his sea legs back.  

Not sure what the deal was with Epenesa.  The staff directed weight loss, followed by him not really getting much run all year... need more out of a 2nd Round Pick.  Still time for AJ though, and pass rushers can typically take some time when not named Bosa/Young.  

Then we have two 3rd Round RB’s and RB is still a glaring need.  

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I was counting the cap figures from their actual cap hits. Those guys all count anywhere from $8 million to $10 million in cap space. John Brown has a $9 million dollar cap hit, Addison is $10 million. I think Butler was around $8 million and Jefferson around $9 also. That's roughly $36 million on the cap. 

Right, but the point is, that's not the right figure to count.  When the guy is cut, the team doesn't save all the money listed on the current "cap hit".  His signing bonus amortized into this year and any future years on his current contract need to be subtracted as they have already been paid and become "dead money".  Any other guarantees must also be subtracted. 

Take, for example, John Brown.  Yes, he's got a $9.5M cap hit, but he's got $1.6M of his 2019 signing bonus amortized or prorated into this year, so subtract that and we save $7.9M against the cap if he is released or traded.

Let's do Mario Addison as another example.  He was signed last year to a 3 year contract, meaning his $6M signing bonus was amortized over 3 years.  He has a $10.2M cap figure this season, but if we cut him or trade him we have to subtract this year's AND next year's prorated (amortized) signing bonus so $2M + $2M = $4M.  Therefore we save $6.2M against the cap if he's traded or released.

There's more subtleties, if he's designated as an "after June 1" cut, we can divide up the cap hit into this year and next, but then the cap savings don't take effect (and can't be used to sign players) until after June 1.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, but the point is, that's not the right figure to count.  When the guy is cut, the team doesn't save all the money listed on the current "cap hit".  His signing bonus amortized into this year and any future years on his current contract need to be subtracted as they have already been paid and become "dead money".  Any other guarantees must also be subtracted. 

Take, for example, John Brown.  Yes, he's got a $9.5M cap hit, but he's got $1.6M of his 2019 signing bonus amortized or prorated into this year, so subtract that and we save $7.9M against the cap if he is released or traded.

Let's do Mario Addison as another example.  He was signed last year to a 3 year contract, meaning his $6M signing bonus was amortized over 3 years.  He has a $10.2M cap figure this season, but if we cut him or trade him we have to subtract this year's AND next year's prorated (amortized) signing bonus so $2M + $2M = $4M.  Therefore we save $6.2M against the cap if he's traded or released.

There's more subtleties, if he's designated as an "after June 1" cut, we can divide up the cap hit into this year and next, but then the cap savings don't take effect (and can't be used to sign players) until after June 1.

Got ya. Didn't know it worked that way. We still would save a lot of money by dropping those guys. No reason we can't sign Milano with it

Edited by Buffalo03

53 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Got ya. Didn't know it worked that way. We still would save a lot of money by dropping those guys. No reason we can't sign Milano with it

We will free some cap if we drop some of these guys, but if we're cutting 3 DLmen we're also creating holes we have to fill.

Then it's just a matter of priorities: Milano?  The OL? ST?  lots of places.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We will free some cap if we drop some of these guys, but if we're cutting 3 DLmen we're also creating holes we have to fill.

Then it's just a matter of priorities: Milano?  The OL? ST?  lots of places.

What do we need on OL? Allen had plenty of time pretty much all season

It's the reality of having a franchise QB to pay. You have to make compromises and take risks. 

Its why on paper contending teams often have weaker looking teams than bad teams. 

Milano is a loss, but that's the reality now. You can't be great at every position AND pay a QB. Look at the Saints, Packers, Patriots even the Chiefs in recent years, all have had obvious roster flaws. 

Welcome to the reality of being a SuperBowl contender

Have you ever heard fans complain that a player gets unfairly criticized just because he was a 1st round draft choice? The opposite holds true for Milano - he's wildly overrated because he was a late round pick that seemingly blossomed out of nowhere at a position of need for us. But he's not a stud OLB. Signing Daryl Williams is infinitely more important for this team.

Thanks for everything and have fun in Jacksonville, Matt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well I waited 27 pages to post so I better make a good one ;) 

Milano was a round 5 pick who developed into a good but not great linebacker

Out of 64 games he has played 54 missing 10 to injury not bad for an undersized LB (6'0"  225lbs)

He has 7 TO's 5ints and 2 FF  and 155 solo tackles with 89 assisted so 3 per game or 5 with help.

This guy is getting overpaid by some team and I hope its not the Bills.

He is very replaceable and Beane knows that IMHO

Happy Trails Matt where ever you land.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What is wrong with the one we have?  Just resign Williams

With what money? He took a prove it deal and will now get a massive contract. Someone will easily outbid the Bills for him. He is a decent starting tackle, someone will offer crazy money. 

30 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

With what money? He took a prove it deal and will now get a massive contract. Someone will easily outbid the Bills for him. He is a decent starting tackle, someone will offer crazy money. 

You're forgetting the 'siren song' of free Sabres tickets (if fans are ever allowed back in the arenas).🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1