Isaiah McKenzie Thanks Bills Mafia, Leaves Directions on how to Find him

I'd bring him back. Dre has been great for us on returns but he is 33 and has limited to no use as anything else. McKenzie lost the returner job previously (having done it in 2018) because of fumbles. I think if he has solved that issue he can do the job now to add to his versatility on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McKenzie and Yeldon. So ridiculously underutilized. Sometimes I think Daboll's brain is still set to Peterman mode.

It was in the playoffs...

Calling plays for Peterman that his arm simply couldn't do when he was in Buffalo.

I think he has actually earned a place on the roster. Returning would be the key to re-signing him, as I think you can then justify giving him a decent deal, as I doubt we could afford to do huge amounts to his contract otherwise.

In 4 seasons in the NFL, he's only earned a shade over $2 million. This is his (probably) best chance for any sort of payday, and I think he's earned one, albeit not a huge one. He is also still relatively young, so you could get him for another 3 or 4 years, if you structure a deal the right way. If I was him, I'd be looking to get the largest guaranteed money I could, even if it was spread over a decent length of time.

The biggest problem the Bills have atm, is that there are a number of guys like McKenzie, who won't cost the earth, but unless the cap does lift above the $175 million, we might not be able to agree terms with, due to other needs.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I think he has actually earned a place on the roster. Returning would be the key to re-signing him, as I think you can then justify giving him a decent deal, as I doubt we could afford to do huge amounts to his contract otherwise.

In 4 seasons in the NFL, he's only earned a shade over $2 million. This is his (probably) best chance for any sort of payday, and I think he's earned one, albeit not a huge one. He is also still relatively young, so you could get him for another 3 or 4 years, if you structure a deal the right way. If I was him, I'd be looking to get the largest guaranteed money I could, even if it was spread over a decent length of time.

The biggest problem the Bills have atm, is that there are a number of guys like McKenzie, who won't cost the earth, but unless the cap does lift above the $175 million, we might not be able to agree terms with, due to other needs.

Agreed. I think the sort of deal that makes sense for McKenzie pays him around $3-4m AAV for 4 years with about $6m guaranteed. Can the Bills do that by structuring it so that the hit for the next couple of years is more in $1-2m a year range? I think if they can find a way of doing that then he will stay. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. I think the sort of deal that makes sense for McKenzie pays him around $3-4m AAV for 4 years with about $6m guaranteed. Can the Bills do that by structuring it so that the hit for the next couple of years is more in $1-2m a year range? I think if they can find a way of doing that then he will stay. 

Yep, decent sounding numbers. That I think he deserves, even if we can't do them.

If the cap sneaks up to say $185 million, I think we can manage a couple of guys like McKenzie, especially if their money is more guaranteed, just not immediately.

While the Bills have done a good job generally of front loading deals, the time is now, to go the other way. The difficulty is that to do so, you are going to have to give better guarantees.

Aside from his underutilization - by biggest knock on him is that he never makes a guy miss. On a sweep he’s 100% sprint to corner/sprint to toward the marker.  If someone is in the way, the play is dead.  This makes me question his ability to be our primary return guy. 

I keep wanting him to be Roscoe Parrish, and I’m seeing TJ Graham/Marquise Goodwin.

• Disagree 1