Steve Tasker brought up a great point today on One Bills Live...

16 minutes ago, cv05 said:

This is bad news for the bills. They are 19th in available cap space compared with other teams. The Bills are  going to be more in the group of shedding star players than signing them. The teams that benefit from this are teams with more cap space - Jaguars, Jets, Colts, Patriots, Bengals

They will shed Murphy and some of the dead weight DL guys they signed last year.  As for stars? I just hope they keep either Williams or Milano.  If they lose both they will need to backfill in free agency.  They would have two many needs to fix just in the draft.

Hopefully the silver lining would be if Milano leaves and Edmunds moves outside. 

31 minutes ago, Figster said:

Not at all a fan of losing Milano.  Its like taking two steps back to go one step forward. 

Thanks for the insight concerning Covid.

If you end up forward of where you were to begin with, it's all good.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They will shed Murphy and some of the dead weight DL guys they signed last year.  As for stars? I just hope they keep either Williams or Milano.  If they lose both they will need to backfill in free agency.  They would have two many needs to fix just in the draft.

Hopefully the silver lining would be if Milano leaves and Edmunds moves outside. 

I guess I view it as a market - supply and demand. If there is a surplus of free agent talent that can be had, we're objectively going to be taking part less in it than other teams, which is unfortunate. We are poorly positioned to this relative to other teams. I know your eyes light up at the idea of cutting dead weight like Murphy but it likely will go beyond those types of cuts. Williams, Milano- how about John Brown? Half of our D-line? Teams that have a lot of cap space are going to be well positioned to get bargain prices on good talent - we are not one of them.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We arent in any better spot to sign street FAs.

It looks like the Jags, Colts, Jets, and Pats will be signing everyone tho...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

One problem none of these teams have a QB except the Jags and Trevor will be a rookie 

23 minutes ago, cv05 said:

I guess I view it as a market - supply and demand. If there is a surplus of free agent talent that can be had, we're objectively going to be taking part less in it than other teams, which is unfortunate. We are poorly positioned to this relative to other teams. I know your eyes light up at the idea of cutting dead weight like Murphy but it likely will go beyond those types of cuts. Williams, Milano- how about John Brown? Half of our D-line? Teams that have a lot of cap space are going to be well positioned to get bargain prices on good talent - we are not one of them.

Those teams with cap space also don’t have franchise QBs like we do 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Not necessarily...a team might have been able to do some restructures to clean up cap space up to a certain amount but now will have to cut a plyer or players from the $25 million more they would be over.  So one team may still be fine but another may have to release players now.  There is only so much cap maneuvering that can be done.  

I don't see the NFL letting this happen and I think the cap number is probably closer to $200 million regardless of how they have to get there. 

I hear you. You may be right. As I think about it I think you're really right about the cap being higher than we might think.  A drastic cap drop is really disruptive to the teams and really unfair to players who became free agents at the end of this season.  Make cap artificially high for the coming season and a bit low next season to average it out.  I bet you're right about that.  

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not entirely in spending free agent dollars... Murphy, Addison, Butler, Jefferson, Klein, Norman, Long, and Mantekevich all were quite expensive with little return.  Brown, Feliciano, Williams, and Beasley appear to have been worth the investment. Morse is somehwere in between at a super high cost for maybe at best average play.  

I disagree that we got little return from all those players.   Other “experts” say he built us up fast in part because of Beane’s staffs pro scouting ability.   I can think of many positive contributions by Addison, Klein, Norman and Mantekevich that helped us go 15-4.   Big plays numerous times by each of them.  

Listen to Beane’s interview.  He talks about the cap value changing after Covid, making every GMs job harder today.  He talks about letting Jordan Phillips walk because they had Star, only to lose Star to Covid opt out.  Phillips would have been retained with your 20-20 hindsight.  He also indicated everything starts with the DL. 

It easy to criticize moves after the fact but you do not know the intrinsic value these players bring to the team and the locker room. You don’t have the film or the playbook either. 

No one hits every draft pick, every free agent, and every move.  

I think we are in good hands with Beane.  He is not perfect, just very dam good.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Nice thought but the Bills do not have a ton of cap to play with next year.  Yes, they can make moves. However, not the organization’s DNA to do so in a flashy manner.

Kind of like how it's not in their DNA to make a big trade, until it is.  Pretty obvious need for this team to get a big time pass rusher.  If they want to address that concern you can't look to the draft. 

You're analysis of the FO's DNA might just be subject to change, just as it did last year.

Did Steve talk about the 8 million over the cap the Bills are now.  They will need to sign their draft picks, and maybe a couple of their own free agents too.  

Dont expect the Bills to make any splashy free agent moves.  Bean said they wouldnt and I believe him!  

25 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Did Steve talk about the 8 million over the cap the Bills are now.  They will need to sign their draft picks, and maybe a couple of their own free agents too.  

Dont expect the Bills to make any splashy free agent moves.  Bean said they wouldnt and I believe him!  

Yes he did I can’t believe some of the contracts with dead weight on the roster for instance Lee Smith and Trent Murphy alone would get them under the cap much less the other anchors on this team they could restructure or release 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yes he did I can’t believe some of the contracts with dead weight on the roster for instance Lee Smith and Trent Murphy alone would get them under the cap much less the other anchors on this team they could restructure or release 

I dont think Murphy is under contract and Smith is 2.25 mill, but yes there is 30 mil could be trimmed.   

FWIW, per Spotrac, they still have the cap at $178 mil. and they are the cap experts, not someone saying, yeah but it will be $185, 190, 200 mil.  The only saving grace is if there are new tv deals that come 5rough so they can borrow for two years against their future.  That does mean the cap won’t go up though in two future years as they borrowed against their future.

I just looked and something changed from yesterday as it now places us 21st at -$6 mil. so teams like Seattle who are +$4 mil. are in better shape.  I expect this will ebb and flow and I don’t know why we flipped $8.8 mil.  

The excitement of grabbing some guy on the cheap isn’t going to happen.  The teams at the top of have gluts of $ like the Jags, Colts, Jets, Pats, Bengals, WFT, Bucs, and Dolphins will benefit.  There are more, but these guys right now are at the top.

We have now due to comp. picks 8.  If the Texans hire Frazier we get another 3rd., and an extra 3rd. next year.  Wrap you’re arms around that point.

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm kind of hoping that offensive players look at the Bills thinking they can sign cheap for a year and put up big numbers. Cash in next year. 

John Brown, Beasley, and Diggs have had career years in Buffalo. I think we should get someone here cheap. 

That’s how you end up with Josh Norman. 
I know he’s a cb, but no one who is very good is gonna sign for peanuts. 

6 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Brandon Beane does not tip his hand.

The cap is tight, but he's on the case.

No surprise to me he snags a solid FA.

I think he's being straight forward. Honestly though we don't need him to say anything. Our cap situation as is doesn't put us in position to make a big move.