Micah Hyde - surprise cap casualty?

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sal C thinks they Bills are high on Jaquan Johnson.

The team needs to find money to pay Allen and not get worse.  I don't know how much we save on the CAP if we cut him, but I know we save something like $8 million on the CAP in cutting John Brown.  I like both Brown and Hyde a lot, but if you have players you think you can replace them with and it's not too much of a step down and you're able to save plenty for extending Allen and potentially resigning Milano, which I actually think we should do, do it.

If cutting Hyde saves us a few million on the CAP, yes I think we should definitely consider it.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The team needs to find money to pay Allen and not get worse.  I don't know how much we save on the CAP if we cut him, but I know we save something like $8 million on the CAP in cutting John Brown.  I like both Brown and Hyde a lot, but if you have players you think you can replace them with and it's not too much of a step down and you're able to save plenty for extending Allen and potentially resigning Milano, which I actually think we should do.

If cutting Hyde saves us a few million on the CAP, yes I think we should definitely consider it.

I don't see the Bills loading any of Allen's extension onto 2021, I think they load some money onto the 2022 fifth year option year to spread out the hit. But 2021 is a crunch and the team should take advantage of the window to win and try to retain as many key players as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Jaquan Johnson is a good player who may play out his contract without ever really seeing the field.

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The team needs to find money to pay Allen and not get worse.  I don't know how much we save on the CAP if we cut him, but I know we save something like $8 million on the CAP in cutting John Brown.  I like both Brown and Hyde a lot, but if you have players you think you can replace them with and it's not too much of a step down and you're able to save plenty for extending Allen and potentially resigning Milano, which I actually think we should do, do it.

Is CAP an acronym for something?

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they run back Hyde and Poyer. I think they will draft a safety for depth and to get younger behind them but I think McD like those guys and wants them back for one more year so that he can prepare younger guys behind them. I see the following players as candidates for restructuring or cuts. 

1- Vernon Butler 

2- Quinton Jefferson

3- Mario Addision

4- Jerry Hughes

5- Mitch 

6- John Brown 

7- Lee Smith 

I think Smith and either Butler or Jefferson are outright cut, that should free up about 10 million in space. The rest will be asked to restructure or be cut which depending on how much they are willing to give will result in 10-20 million in space. I really hope they set the cap at 205 million. That would give the Bills 30 million to start with and then they could free up 20-25 million with these cuts and restructurings which would give the Bills a chance to retain all or most of their key free agents. 

I would hold on to Mitch and Hughes, the rest can go. C is a hard position to find and get up to speed and Hughes is still good, just has zero help. You can't dump our only pass rusher when we actually need another one

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct, I just dislike the "We can save $X.XM by cutting this that and the other guy" without careful thought as to where their replacement will come from.

McD needs to rethink his D line rotation, too much money for very little production

image.thumb.png.b624ea34ea01c74deddc8946c63ed5cb.png

I am also not comfortable paying to LBs this kind of money, pick one. I choose Milano over Edmunds

image.png.3ca3c371a692cb995d25c1d1b8b5ebc0.png

Edited by Reed83HOF

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Agreed. I would like them to draft a 'big nickel' at some point though. They get eaten alive by TEs every year. I really wanted Jeremy Chinn in last year's draft.

JaCoby Stevens from LSU might suit that role and be a guy to look at in Round 3.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Poyer and Hyde back next year.

John Brown, Mitch Morse, Quentin Jefferson, Vernon Butler, and Mario Addison I see getting cut. 

I think we'll see a completely rebuilt DL. 

Of those cuts (which I mostly agree with) I could see Jefferson sticking (let him play hard for another deal elsewhere). Financially all those guys make sense to jettison, minus Morse (savings roughly equal to dead cap PLUS the hole at a vital position). The others seem like no-brainers.

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would hold on to Mitch and Hughes, the rest can go. C is a hard position to find and get up to speed and Hughes is still good, just has zero help. You can't dump our only pass rusher when we actually need another one

McD needs to rethink his D line rotation, too much money for very little production

image.thumb.png.b624ea34ea01c74deddc8946c63ed5cb.png

I am also not comfortable paying to LBs this kind of money, pick one. I choose Milano over Edmunds

image.png.3ca3c371a692cb995d25c1d1b8b5ebc0.png

No problem, let Edmunds go backle elsewhere and Milano can make 2x what he’s worth somewhere else too.  Neither is anything special, Milano just looks good bc he’s the only one with a clue.  Hyde can play out his deal.

15 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I love him, he's been a great player.  

I just started thinking....is he a possibility for a cap casualty?  We save $5.1 million if we were to cut him.  

I'm not suggesting we cut him but I'm thinking he could be overlooked as one of the shockers...we are going to lose a good player or two.

If cutting him means we would have more cash to resign lets say Milano...would you do it?

Royal, I think we’ll be ok.  There are guys we really don’t need they will make decisions on and we all know the names, ie. Murphy, Kroft, pick a D Lineman, and so on.  I honestly believe bud McD ‘s strategy is a defense built back to front, and Hyde and Poyer as a tandem is one if the best.  Both are good, but together, they are like the Wonder Twins.  Wonder powers, ACTIVATE.

Its not that he lost a step, and has been a leader on the team.  I thought in the beginning of the year Hughes might be a cap hit, but he had a very good under appreciated year.  McD is going to rely even more on the system guys he has as it’s not star player power that makes our defense this year 14th, but in past years top 3-4.  Frazier is probably gone so McD is going to groom someone in his image.  Frazier was a much more established seasoned coach.  He’ll want to rely on his cornerstones, Milano, Edmunds, Hughes, White, Poyer, and Hyde.  I’m not sure who he trusts the most on the d line outside of Hughes.  The others are expendable.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I love him, he's been a great player.  

I just started thinking....is he a possibility for a cap casualty?  We save $5.1 million if we were to cut him.  

I'm not suggesting we cut him but I'm thinking he could be overlooked as one of the shockers...we are going to lose a good player or two.

If cutting him means we would have more cash to resign lets say Milano...would you do it?

Who is his replacement? What does it cost? 

If we draft his replacement, which position group are you OK not drafting in rounds 1-3?

https://overthecap.com/player/vernon-butler/4742/

A more likely target for cap room would be Vernon Butler Im cap hit and 6.85m savings 

14 games 40 percent of snaps 9 tackles 9 assisted  5 TFL`s 2 QB hits 1 pass def. I FF 0 sacks

That stat line screams cut and replace.

So long Vern too bad it didn`t work out.

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

If we draft his replacement, which position group are you OK not drafting in rounds 1-3?

I hadn't put much thought into that yet.  I was just thinking of ways to improve our pass rush and pass blocking and thinking areas where we could shave some money.

As I said in my first post, I'm not for it, just thinking out loud...

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mango said:

My question is why must it be a Round 1-3 player? Hyde himself was Drafted in the 5th round. Doesn't it stand to reason that as good as Beane et. al. have been at Drafting good players, that the FO can find as good a talent as Hyde in the 4th or 5th Round? Also, don't forget Neal and Johnson which IMO, the team has been grooming since they were Drafted for this very reason. I'm not saying the Bills should or shouldn't Draft a Safety, I merely saying let's not jump to the conclusion that his replacement doesn't already play for the Bills.

I think a question the FO will have to ask (I'm not sure this has been a response):

Is the fall off from Hyde to Marlowe THAT great? If it's not and we can save 5-6 Mill, I wouldn't be surprised... I love Micah Hyde and what he brings to this team but as the players always say...... it IS a business.

i read on there they might cut morse, sign mongo and move him to C.  i fully expect that.

cut brown, murph is OBV gone, cut or restructure at least 2 of the DL signings last season.  i could see wallace getting a smallish tender, norman gone, kroft and smith gone, motor might not make the team, but it depends on who else is there.

we need better interior blocking, better DL production, better TE and RB (i think those two are the easiest to improve), and we have to do something about LB/scheme.  our scheme and players just don't add up to anything good right now, but i think mcd can fix that with a quickness