Brian Daboll interviewing for HC with Jets & Chargers. [Edited]

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

agree with what? he asked a question. 

The question is who is distracted? How is it affecting the team? He also said how do you know this? Suggests to me he doesn’t think it’s an issue. So I agreed and gave reasons why, 

We all knew Daboll was going to get interviews. Let’s just be happy that he wasn’t getting interviews from every team resulting in a bidding war. 🤷‍♂️. It’s Jets and Chargers. He given the opportunity to pick Daboll probably goes to LA, and he may just stay here with a pay raise if he doesn’t like how the Jets interviewed. Remember..... When you interview with an employer you are also interviewing them, especially when you’re an in demand contract employee. 

As for the distraction aspect.... IIRC, Daboll already set up staff lists, etc weeks ago, and the interview prep has been done for a while. I’d rather have the league put off the interviews until the first super bowl week or during bye weeks for the sake of competitive fairness. That said, good luck to Daboll. 

33 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

The question is who is distracted? How is it affecting the team? He also said how do you know this? Suggests to me he doesn’t think it’s an issue. So I agreed and gave reasons why, 

i wish it wasn't.  have you ever been part of an organization where you were in the middle of a big project and one of the leadership gave notice?  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

If Daboll goes he goes.   Hopefully he doesn't take Ken Dorsey with him.   That would be very unfortunate.

If Dorsey gets the offer to be the Bills OC, that is a better gig than going with Daboll.  He would have an all pro Allen and be able to be the person in charge.  With Daboll, he would be second fiddle like Van Pelt in Cleveland.  An OC but not calling plays or in charge of the offense.

3 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

i wish it wasn't.  have you ever been part of an organization where you were in the middle of a big project and one of the leadership gave notice?  

I get your thinking. It’s bit different  in that most are feeling it’s a possibility. And likely have been preparing for it. But yes not ideal.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBobs said:

I think the Chargers job is pretty attractive.

I do wonder though how much the failure of Anthony Lynn (a former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator) might be in the back of the minds of fans and ownership and dissuade them from going the same route again?

completely unrelated... there is no connection with Lynn and I can’t imagine anyone artificially contriving one. 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

completely unrelated... there is no connection with Lynn and I can’t imagine anyone artificially contriving one. 

Can you imagine if we'd replaced Rex Ryan with another former Jets head coach?

It should be unrelated and based totally on merit. But same way the folks on here complained any time a Carolina Panther was signed, regardless of whether they played with McDermott or not, I can absolutely see Chargers fans not wanting another Buffalo coordinator.

13 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I would be surprised / stunned if the organization waited till Daboll left before having a selection “in effect”, in place, be that from in house or from outside the organization,  our HC & GM are pro active, they don’t wait around on others action before having their plan in place and ready to be implemented ASAP, in fact they likely have two or more back up scenarios ready to go. They may not have said “you are in” to someone, but it’s not going to come as a surprise to who ever that person is when they accept the job.  This isn’t the Ralph years anymore. 

Go Bills!!!

Yes, they have a list of candidates, internal and external, just in case they need it.  

No, I do not believe they have even started interviewing anyone for a job that is not yet open.   

I think the focus is on the Ravens.  

12 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

If Dorsey gets the offer to be the Bills OC, that is a better gig than going with Daboll.  He would have an all pro Allen and be able to be the person in charge.  With Daboll, he would be second fiddle like Van Pelt in Cleveland.  An OC but not calling plays or in charge of the offense.

Why would one not be second fiddle and  when other is other than your opinion? 

Both head coaches would be coaches with offense backgrounds.

Read the articles - Alex Van Pelt is actively involved with Baker and was one who helped make him a better QB.

20 hours ago, Limeaid said:

IMO no interviews should be allowed between end of regular season and Superbowl but NFL has never asked my opinion.

It would give a head start to teams fired their head coaches DURING season but most of them need help badly.

I agree.

Think about what's involved in talking to a team about being their new head coach and all that comes with it. It must take a great deal of presentation along with outlining your particular plan to make their team into a winner. Schemes, coaches you plan on hiring etc. 

All this probably takes a bunch of time away from the game planning you normally go though during a normal week. Yet, now you are in the playoffs and I'd imagine the film work only intensifies as does the practices. 

Lesie Frazier was also interviewed by the Texans and I gotta wonder if this same thing obstructed his game plan for the defense as the Bills gave up 472 yards to the Colts.

The Ravens, as good as they are their defense and offense have been doesn't appear to have this problem with their coordinators. Neither did the Colts. 

So yea, no interviews until after a team is eliminated IMO.  

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Your in the playoffs. as a HC why would you allow these interviews to happen... The last thing you want is this team to be thinking about something else and not an eye on the prize. 

As long as it's a video chat not flying back and forth especially LA