Brian Daboll interviewing for HC with Jets & Chargers. [Edited]

Chandler#81

38 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

um , no.   when you've been carpetbagging around in your work for 20+ years and then someone wants to interview you for a a rare job that will assure you of as much $$ as you've made over those 20 years (combined) you say "where and when do I show up"

He doesn't work at McDonalds bro.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

Teams can and have denied coaches the ability to interview for promotional jobs until their seasons are over.  I'm not sure why McD and Beane permitted this but I think it was a bad move. Maybe there is something in Daboll's contract that permits him to interview.  We'll probably never know for sure.  As others have pointed out, the game plan and play calling was poor.   

• Like (+1) 2

I do not like this interviewing of coaches info happening during the playoffs.  It is a distraction and affects the team.  

I know teams like to get the jump on things right after the regular season but it does affect the teams in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2

This policy has never made any sense to me. The solution seems obvious. Teams can interview coaches whose teams are already done but have to wait to talk to coaches whose teams are still in it. Simple. You end up with more coaches being interviewed (diversity of opportunity) and doesn’t disrupt the remaining playoff teams. If someone wants to hire the OC from a cellar dwelling team, so be it.  And/or put a moratorium on coaching hires until after the super bowl. Done!

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Daboll isn’t hurting for money in the slightest, so that wouldn’t be his motivation. The guy could stop working today and live very well till he passes and leave a nice inheritance for someone, this is a lifestyle choice, you can’t put in the hours that job requires and be around people who are idiots or you have little respect for years on end,  that’s no way to live when you are already financially set. 

Should Daboll leave, I now that person is already been selected, informed and is waiting in the wings as it were.

Go Bills!!!

Doubt it.  If they hire from within I doubt that they already told the person “if Daboll leaves, your in”.  I think they might hire from within but that won’t stop them from looking at all options.  

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Teams can and have denied coaches the ability to interview for promotional jobs until their seasons are over.  I'm not sure why McD and Beane permitted this but I think it was a bad move. Maybe there is something in Daboll's contract that permits him to interview.  We'll probably never know for sure.  As others have pointed out, the game plan and play calling was poor.   

The Bills org would be blacklisted if your reward for making the playoffs is that you aren't allowed to interview for head coaching jobs like every other team allows.

Yesterday was an off day anyways; there's no harm in allowing him to interview with other teams while everyone is taking the day off and waiting to see who they'll be playing next week.

it needs to be an nfl rule. McD, Beane, and Pegulas should not be put in the position to say yes or no. Them saying no could lead to a resentful O-Coordinator now or down the road. 

And they want to be looked at as a program that treats their assistants well and tries to put them in a position to move up the ladder. 

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

um , no.   when you've been carpetbagging around in your work for 20+ years and then someone wants to interview you for a a rare job that will assure you of as much $$ as you've made over those 20 years (combined) you say "where and when do I show up"

Yes, good assistants make $2-3 million per year.  Head coaches make 2-3x that per year.  He will have to go if offered a HC job.  Urban Meyers is reported to be getting $12 mil/year to take the Jacksonville job.  That would be 4x for Daboll.  Just sayin........

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

The Jets have a 2 year opening with a free flight back to your home town. I suggest Daboll lease a house.

Maybe check if there’s a nice local motel with a kitchenette? Wouldn’t want to trouble anyone at a moving company...

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

I do not like this interviewing of coaches info happening during the playoffs.  It is a distraction and affects the team.  

I know teams like to get the jump on things right after the regular season but it does affect the teams in the playoffs.  

How do you know this.....who is distracted and how is it affecting the team?

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

Teams have been affected by this during playoff runs.  Football is an emotional team sport.  While they like to all be professional about this the fact is Daboll is considered to be a lame duck by the entire organization, right or wrong.  He is leaving.  He will be affected somewhat.  The players will be affected somewhat.  

How much and how it affects the team and their performance is probably minimal but still remains to be seen.  It is a factor in any organization and especially emotional team sports.    

I believe they can still perform at a high level but everything counts.  

Edited by jethro_tull

Daboll isn't leaving for just any HQ job. It'll have to be a situation where success is probable. The Chargers opportunity might fit that but the Jets is simply a messed up organization. The problem with the Jets is that as soon as they start to improve they forget why they were bad and revert to their old ways. We were a little like that before McD brought his process. The thing is I just can't see Jets ownership being patient like the Pagula's have been.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤣 While I agree, I can’t speak to the validity of this tweet..

Anyway, the 3 year architect of Josh Allen’s meteoric rise to Superstar is interested in seeking employment elsewhere and it’s been reported he has 2 interviews set up for today. Personally, I’d hate for anything to change in this regard and thought he was very happy returning to his hometown to direct an amazing NFL Offense. 

Evidently, I thought wrong.. 

I thought the interviews were set for Sunday when there was no interference with game planning.

Surely you can speak for the validity of those tweets.  Obviously someone hacked his account.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I hadn’t seen this, thanks! What was it, a phone call?

Video.  Same for Chargers.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes, good assistants make $2-3 million per year.  Head coaches make 2-3x that per year.  He will have to go if offered a HC job.  Urban Meyers is reported to be getting $12 mil/year to take the Jacksonville job.  That would be 4x for Daboll.  Just sayin........

He doesn't have to go for the money, although for a guy with a big family to have the ability to create generational wealth for them must be a factor.

The thing is, like any other guy at his level he must have an ego and he wants to prove he can do it at the next level.  Edit: I want to make clear I am not using ego in a negative sense.  Being driven to be the best and show that you can work at a higher level is a positive trait and necessary for accomplishment.

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Doubt it.  If they hire from within I doubt that they already told the person “if Daboll leaves, your in”.  I think they might hire from within but that won’t stop them from looking at all options.  

I would be surprised / stunned if the organization waited till Daboll left before having a selection “in effect”, in place, be that from in house or from outside the organization,  our HC & GM are pro active, they don’t wait around on others action before having their plan in place and ready to be implemented ASAP, in fact they likely have two or more back up scenarios ready to go. They may not have said “you are in” to someone, but it’s not going to come as a surprise to who ever that person is when they accept the job.  This isn’t the Ralph years anymore. 

Go Bills!!!

45 minutes ago, nucci said:

Agreed. If a person can’t prepare for an interview that he has been prepping for his whole life while simultaneously doing his job he’s not a person you want. His prep has been going on likely for weeks and likely with help from McBeane. When he was calling perfect games.
Colts are good, they also have good coaches and wanted to win. Wasn’t his best week but don’t think interview prep had anything to do with it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Agreed. If a person can’t prepare for an interview that he has been prepping for his whole life while simultaneously doing his job he’s not a person you want. His prep has been going on likely for weeks and likely with help from McBeane. When he was calling perfect games.
Colts are good, they also have good coaches and wanted to win. Wasn’t his best week but don’t think interview prep had anything to do with it. 

agree with what? he asked a question.